Gs300 Timing Belt Replacement

dcfish

a flush and fill with toyota pink long life coolant. $217.03 shipped for the timing belt, waterpump and thermostat and all the gaskets/orings ( all OEM ). The 4.2 hours labor with the flush and fill $372.53. Done out the door and runs better than ever. The labor was done at Carlson Toyota in Anoka. I always bring both the lex there for most work that I don't do myself. My local lexus dealer wanted $900.00 out the door and Carlson wanted $799.00. I bought the parts online and Scott the service manager said he would only charge actual labor,tax,disposal/enviromental fees. It pays to use the same service manager and mechanic for the last 15 years. I am very satisfied to say the least. Tires are next..........Suggestions for tires are always welcome. TIA

Are you looking for all-season tires or performance? For all-season tires I really love Kumho Exsta ASX. I know, they're cheap tires but they are definitely underrated. With the Kumho's I feel real confident driving in the rain, plus these tires last forever. For performance I'd go with Bridgestone Pole Position....wears out very quickly but the dry traction is amazing.

Are you looking for all-season tires or performance? For all-season tires I really love Kumho Exsta ASX. I know, they're cheap tires but they are definitely underrated. With the Kumho's I feel real confident driving in the rain, plus these tires last forever. For performance I'd go with Bridgestone Pole Position....wears out very quickly but the dry traction is amazing.

I looked at the Kumho Exsta Asx and I felt it was alot of tire for the $ and I am considering them. I have always driven on Michelins and am still very happy with them. I want to try another brand, Not dunlops or bridgestones. The Kumho's are priced right , I just wonder how quiet the tires are. I have Michelin pilot sports on my gs now and probably have another 5000 left on them ( 45000 mi. on them now ) Have you heard anything about sumitomos ? I will aproach my decision with an open mind. B)

I haven't heard much about Sumitomo's besides the reviews on Tire-Rack, but I try not to buy into the reviews though. I have 25k on my Kumho's and they're still very quiet. Tread shows very little wear, most of the wear is because of BMW's agressive camber. I gave Kumho's a shot just because of the price tag they carry. Or you could just go with Michelin PS2's, great traction but horrible tread life.

If you love them then remember to send me my Heineken's. :cheers:

I haven't heard much about Sumitomo's besides the reviews on Tire-Rack, but I try not to buy into the reviews though. I have 25k on my Kumho's and they're still very quiet. Tread shows very little wear, most of the wear is because of BMW's agressive camber. I gave Kumho's a shot just because of the price tag they carry. Or you could just go with Michelin PS2's, great traction but horrible tread life.

If you love them then remember to send me my Heineken's.:cheers:

Here are pic's of the old timing belt, waterpump and thermostat. Everything looks very clean inside and the impeller looks like new inside the pump, The timing belt has no cracks or visual signs of fraying of any kind. The gs has 112,000 on it and these are all opriginal parts. So in my estimation a toyota timing belt will last alot longer than 90,000 and that goes for the pump also. I hope this puts some members at ease if they are overly concerned about there timing belt and waterpump failing close to the 90,000 mark.

The pic's aren't the best, But you get the idea.

post-1634-1169397255_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1169397282_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1169397332_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1169397362_thumb.jpg

Pictures can be deceiving, since they don't show metal fatigue or the failing composition of a timing belt. That's why Lexus uses a mileage of 90K to replace these parts......sort of like insurance. :)

Pictures can be deceiving, since they don't show metal fatigue or the failing composition of a timing belt. That's why Lexus uses a mileage of 90K to replace these parts......sort of like insurance. :)

True, Pictures can be deceiving. If you replace the timing belt by visual wear after the 90k say you check it visually @120k and it looks fine, The chances of making the decision to replace the belt become less until your luck is stretched to it's limits or the belt breaks. Metal fatigue in a water pump housing is almost non existant, The wear is in the bearing and worn down impeller, o-ring and gasket. I thought that I pushed it a bit @112k and the confidence that was gained is worth the $ by itself.

True, Pictures can be deceiving. If you replace the timing belt by visual wear after the 90k say you check it visually @120k and it looks fine, The chances of making the decision to replace the belt become less until your luck is stretched to it's limits or the belt breaks. Metal fatigue in a water pump housing is almost non existant, The wear is in the bearing and worn down impeller, o-ring and gasket. I thought that I pushed it a bit @112k and the confidence that was gained is worth the $ by itself.

When I said metal fatigue, I meant in the moving parts of the water pump, NOT the housing, and instead of "pictures can be deceiving", I should have also said, "looks are deceiving". :whistles:

When I said metal fatigue, I meant in the moving parts of the water pump, NOT the housing, and instead of "pictures can be deceiving", I should have also said, "looks are deceiving". :whistles:

Agreed, I thought about that but I knew what you meant. :cheers: Better to maintain than repair ;)

• 1 year later...

As for the tires, have you looked into Toyo - I have the Versado LX's on my LS & I am very happy with them. I actually plus sized them to 18" (with TXW rims) & they are just as quiet & comfortable as the 17" Michelin Energy's on OEM rims that I kept for winter driving.