Power Steering And Transmission Fluid Flush

ferdous

RX 300 2001

mileage: 73,000

after oil change at Lexus of Bellevue dealer, service rep suggested power steering fluid and transmission fluid flush. I declined to do so for now. How frequent should I do these? I heard trans fluid flush is almost rarely required, is it true? I bought it at 37K, certified; didn't do PS or trans fluid flush so far.

appreciate your replies.

Do it every 30k. Don't listen to what the dealership tells you. BMW claims that their tranny fluid is a "lifetime fluid" and doesn't ever have to be replaced/serviced....cmon now. Is that based on them assuming that if I can afford a BMW that I'll buy a new one in 5 years/100k?

It sounds like your dealers service manager is doing what he is there to do. The problem is that is to make money for the dealership. I have never heard of a power steering flush unless it got contaminated from a bad pump or a bad rack. The trans flush IMHO is the worst thing you can do to a transmission. If you want to get crazy do a complete fluid replacement not a flush or just change the pan fluid and transfer case fluid about, 5 qts total and then have it done again in 15-20k miles. That is unless your having some kind of transmission problem.

Jeff