95 Es300 Exhaust Issue

blake6551

Hello all,

Thought I would start my first post with a question. I have a 95 ES300 with 130k miles on it. Recently found out I had an exhaust leak and was told I had to replace the entire front exhuast (flex pipe thru cat. conv.) as it is one piece. I agreed, but now have a whistling noise under acceleration and the loud grumbling when turning the wheel sharply under acceleration (weird). The part was not a lexus part, but an aftermarket manufacturer. Took it back, they said no leak, all installed correctly. I have used this garage for a long time and have never had a problem before. That said, does this sound normal for a non lexus part, or could there be another explanation?

Thanks

Hmm, so, is it possible that with this new exhaust the vehicle is more quiet and you are now hearing other noises that were masked by the old exhaust?

The grumble under accelaration in a sharp turn is indicative of CV (constant velocity) joints going out in the axles. That's not a super expensive repair, for you can get aftermarket axles for around $120/each, and they come assembled so it's just a remove-and-replace job... no rebuild involved.

The whistle could be something in the intake area... a crack or a missing vacuum line or something. You don't often hear a lot of whistles coming from the exhaust.

I wouldn't be concerned using after market parts. I've used them for years on multiple vehicles with no problems. As long as they are good quality, made for your ride, then you are probably fine.

Again, it may be that the new exhaust has made the car quiet enough that you are now hearing other little things that need attention.

Hmm, so, is it possible that with this new exhaust the vehicle is more quiet and you are now hearing other noises that were masked by the old exhaust?

The grumble under accelaration in a sharp turn is indicative of CV (constant velocity) joints going out in the axles. That's not a super expensive repair, for you can get aftermarket axles for around $120/each, and they come assembled so it's just a remove-and-replace job... no rebuild involved.

The whistle could be something in the intake area... a crack or a missing vacuum line or something. You don't often hear a lot of whistles coming from the exhaust.

I wouldn't be concerned using after market parts. I've used them for years on multiple vehicles with no problems. As long as they are good quality, made for your ride, then you are probably fine.

Again, it may be that the new exhaust has made the car quiet enough that you are now hearing other little things that need attention.

Sounds very plausible. Thanks for the reply, I will look into it.

I got something to ask that seems to be a little bit opposite of what you guys opened this forum to talk about... Do you guys think it would be "ricey" to put an exhaust on a 95 ES300? Not one of those big huge !Removed!-cans or anything, but one of those that looks like a regular stock exhaust but it passes right through not all that loops and turns and filters inside the muffler... something like this one...

43794pw.jpg

I don't think it's ricey. As long as it sounds tuned and doesn't sound like a !Removed! can.

Awesome, thanks alot man... now i just gotta find one that would most likely look good on my car... the one i posted a picture of would have been perfect but i had it on my old BMW E36 and i totalled it and didnt get a chance to take it off.. :(

Yeah, I think that looks nice, plus the factory exhaust is pretty wimpy looking. I had a dual tip Anza exhaust on my BMW E36, which was made specifically for the car, but I don't know if anything is specifically made for our rides. You might need to go to a muffler shop and do a little custom cutting and welding to get a nice aftermarket cat-back pipe on there.

good info blk on blk, so im guessing im wasting my time looking for an aftermarket nice dual tip muffler on the web huh?... My E36 exhaust up there wasnt made for it, me and my dad actually cut off the stock one and welded on a flex pipe then that aftermarket universal muffler in my garage, it SOUNDED GREAT!... i guess im gonna have to the do the same thing over again... but i really wanted to ask anyone on this forum if they put on something aftermarket how an ES300 sounds with cat-back? Just so i get an idea of what to expect?

Get a Supersprint muffler....you'll love it.

I was looking to buy a supersprint for my bmw when i had it... unless you can get me an incredible hook-up or discount on one there is like noway that i would be able to afford it, LOL :blushing: ... and arent they made for BMW's? i would have to like retrofit it to my Lexus then huh? :unsure:

It sucks that they have to be so expensive. Those *BLEEP*s are making a killing off of those exhaust...and I bet they don't cost more than any other exhaust to produce. Yes, they are made for BMW's but you could cut and weld it on any vehicle.

It sucks that they have to be so expensive. Those *BLEEP*s are making a killing off of those exhaust...and I bet they don't cost more than any other exhaust to produce. Yes, they are made for BMW's but you could cut and weld it on any vehicle.

They are expensive, and yeah they probally use the same damn materials to make them so it has to cost the same to make, id have to guess. Do you know anyone who put a Supersprint on a Lexus or even an ES300? How do you think that would sound cause i know they sound awesome on BMW's.

I haven't seen or heard one on a Lexus before but I know that they sound great on all bimmers. I wouldn't imagine that they would sound horrible on a Lexus.

I mean either way i was just curious whether it sounded good or not but that is way to high of a price to pay for an exhaust especially on my 1995 ES300. It's a nice idea though :whistles: