Do You Need The 2nd Key For Remote Starter On Ls 400 ?

sheab

I guess I never really understood the purpose of a remote starter system.

The gen 1 LS400 I had for over 13 years warmed up super-fast in cold weather, even on subzero days in northern Iowa, compared to all the many other cars I had owned previously. My current 00 LS400 seems to warm up even faster.

Is there some benefit of remote starting that I am missing?

Depends on if your going to put a upgrade alarm with remote start or just add it to your stock alarm... I have had remote start on a few of my cars and did it both ways .. If you have a good stereo shop they should be able to give you all the info you need ...

One big thing wrong with using the remote start is you usually kill your starter after awhile and some electric signals can start your car at least I have experinced this before ,.. unusal .. but scary at the same time .. Good luck with your adventure .. and have a great new year ..

No key ios needed for the earlier cars as they do not have a transponder in the head.

To tell if you need one for sure ,take your wallet key and insert it into the ignition. If it can start the car you do not have a transponder and it is not an issue for a remote starter.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking in to doing that too for my 97 LS and i was told I would need a 2nd key to hide under the dash. But after some research on the net I found a module that I believe will override the need for a 2nd key. Has anyone used this override box before. I'm still considering doing the remote start for mine.

I was looking in to doing that too for my 97 LS and i was told I would need a 2nd key to hide under the dash. But after some research on the net I found a module that I believe will override the need for a 2nd key. Has anyone used this override box before. I'm still considering doing the remote start for mine.

I was looking to do a remote starter with alarm in my '00ls as well. In my area here in Brooklyn, ny, most installers said i would have to use my 2nd key hidden in the car to work with the remote starter. I also had quotes of between 350 to 400 for installation. One guy said i don't need a key because of that module you mention and his charge is 450 for the prestige Aps997 pager alarm, module included. Is this the way to go? Or are there better alarm deals elsewhere?

I agree with 1990LS400 that there is no benefit to a remote starter. My 91 LS too warms up very fast in the winter. I just start it, wait 5-10 seconds, and drive. The temp gauge starts moving up within a few blocks. Remote starters allow people to idle a cold engine for a long time which is not a good thing as the engine runs with a rich fuel mixture which leads to oil dilution and oil contamination, shortening the lifespan of the oil and the engine.