Factory Chrome Rims...air Leak?

bought some OEM factory 16 inch chrome wheels from ebay for my 1998 gs300. payed $150 for all 4 wheels. Yea, a great buy. So my wheels come in today and they look good. Everything is fine. Of course they are used so you can see a few scratches and peeling here and there. But for 150, why complain!

I took to a local rim shop to put them on and he said he cant because the chrome on the inside of the rim where the tire will go around has peeled so if I install these tires, they will eventually leak air. He only took 2 of the rims out of the boxes and showed the peeling.

I took to another shop that my friend owns and he said yes they are peeling but the rims he had on his honda accord were in worse condition and they havent leaked air or anything. He said the other guy has a point but its 50/50. I left rims with him and he said he can clean them up a bit and put them on my car tomorrow. Maybe use a sealant.

Anyone ever heard of something like this before. Since when does chrome peeling cause a tire to leak air?

bought some OEM factory 16 inch chrome wheels from ebay for my 1998 gs300. payed $150 for all 4 wheels. Yea, a great buy. So my wheels come in today and they look good. Everything is fine. Of course they are used so you can see a few scratches and peeling here and there. But for 150, why complain!

I took to a local rim shop to put them on and he said he cant because the chrome on the inside of the rim where the tire will go around has peeled so if I install these tires, they will eventually leak air. He only took 2 of the rims out of the boxes and showed the peeling.

I took to another shop that my friend owns and he said yes they are peeling but the rims he had on his honda accord were in worse condition and they havent leaked air or anything. He said the other guy has a point but its 50/50. I left rims with him and he said he can clean them up a bit and put them on my car tomorrow. Maybe use a sealant.

Anyone ever heard of something like this before. Since when does chrome peeling cause a tire to leak air?

Thanks for your post. Right front chrome wheel on my 1998 GS400, (bought new) has had leakage twice in a 4 yr. span.

Last time Americas Tire Co. (great) in Eugene, OR. shaved around the peeling and sealed the bead.

Based on all this discussion, I am going to replace these wheels, (140,000 mi.) since most of my driving is at 80 mph++. and don't want to tempt the fates.