New Tire Sensors Beware

I purchased four new snow tires for my Lexus from Les Schwab and asked they to install tire pressure sensors as well. Les Schwab purchased the sensors from Lexus of Portland and installed them. After I picked up the car all seemed OK; however, the low tire sensor light and check system diagnostic indicator came on. Each time I tried to reset the tire sensor level the check system alarm continued to come on.

Les Schwab continued check the tire pressure and all seemed OK. I then took the car to Lexus of Portland and they told me that sensors can not just be installed and have the car reset the sensor level. It turns out that new sensors must be registered via Lexus with their computer system and into your vehicle memory.

This cost me an additional $190 after buying the tires and paying $145 per sensor from Lexus of Portland parts department.

Yikes! :chairshot:

I purchased four new snow tires for my Lexus from Les Schwab and asked they to install tire pressure sensors as well. Les Schwab purchased the sensors from Lexus of Portland and installed them. After I picked up the car all seemed OK; however, the low tire sensor light and check system diagnostic indicator came on. Each time I tried to reset the tire sensor level the check system alarm continued to come on.

Les Schwab continued check the tire pressure and all seemed OK. I then took the car to Lexus of Portland and they told me that sensors can not just be installed and have the car reset the sensor level. It turns out that new sensors must be registered via Lexus with their computer system and into your vehicle memory.

This cost me an additional $190 after buying the tires and paying $145 per sensor from Lexus of Portland parts department.

Yikes! :chairshot:

HOLY CRAP. r u serious? I just bought a new setup w/ TPS and thought install would be a snap. any way to register them without the dealer getting involved?

The manual does say something about the fact that there are two tire sensor "groupings" so that you can have two sets of tires, and that you need to make sure that the second set of sensors is registered.

But that settles things for me. I bought a second set of wheels (16") with Michelin X-Ice tires, and decided to NOT have the sensors installed. Guess that this was a great idea after all.

The joys of owning a Lexus. :wacko: In the past, it was the only car that I knew that said that if you had a lamp go out in the turn signals, that you should return to the dealer to have a new lamp installed.

Now they have finally wised up, and show you how to replace the bulbs yourself in the car. About time!!!

larry

i thought the manual shows a way to add new sensor ID using the satelite switch

It shows how to intialize another set of sensors. The sensors first must be entered into the computer registry so the system will recognize them. All the dash button does is to initiailize at the pressures you want to run. Once all that is done then you can easily switch between your summer and winter tires/wheels by selecting tire set 1 or tire set 2.

It shows how to intialize another set of sensors. The sensors first must be entered into the computer registry so the system will recognize them. All the dash button does is to initiailize at the pressures you want to run. Once all that is done then you can easily switch between your summer and winter tires/wheels by selecting tire set 1 or tire set 2.

ok, how in the heck will Lexus figure out what sensors are on the wheels I have? wonder if I need to contact tirerack? or do they have a machine that can find them?

ok, how in the heck will Lexus figure out what sensors are on the wheels I have? wonder if I need to contact tirerack? or do they have a machine that can find them?

Each time new sensors are purchased and installed you can not set the new pressure level and keep the data in the computer of the vehicle. I watched how they do the process. Each new sensor is connected to a Lexus computer database and logged by the serial number and vehicle VIN number. After this is loaded into their computer the data is then downloaded into your vehicle system setup. They then installed the sensors in the tire and set the initial pressure levels. It seems really stupid that this needs to be done as it tends to make the consumer buy tires from Lexus which is what I think they want.

Each time new sensors are purchased and installed you can not set the new pressure level and keep the data in the computer of the vehicle. I watched how they do the process. Each new sensor is connected to a Lexus computer database and logged by the serial number and vehicle VIN number. After this is loaded into their computer the data is then downloaded into your vehicle system setup. They then installed the sensors in the tire and set the initial pressure levels. It seems really stupid that this needs to be done as it tends to make the consumer buy tires from Lexus which is what I think they want.

THANK YOU. heading over to Lexus tomorrow to get the sensors registered. what a great forum.

only $25 for the dealer to register the TPS in the car. that is a SWEET deal. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Everything is working, no flashing lights. I'm actually liking the new wheels and people have said they like them better than the OEM wheels.

Having 17" after market rims feels pretty different than the 18" OEM wheels. A bit more sway in the ride, not too bad though.

post-33743-1166109468_thumb.jpg

Those are pretty wheels. I have always liked a 5 spoke. Are those painted or machined? The 16" wheels I got are machined. They are a 7 spoke wheel. All of the others that were less than $100 each were painted, and I wanted a metal surface on the wheel.

If the weather stays moderate in Chicago, I'll give the car a wash, and send some pictures your way on Sunday.

larry

Those are pretty wheels. I have always liked a 5 spoke. Are those painted or machined? The 16" wheels I got are machined. They are a 7 spoke wheel. All of the others that were less than $100 each were painted, and I wanted a metal surface on the wheel.

If the weather stays moderate in Chicago, I'll give the car a wash, and send some pictures your way on Sunday.

larry

thanks! yeah, they're painted, hopefully the 1" snows we get in MD will not beat the rims up too bad. I'll look for pics of yours.

Brian

larry

thanks! yeah, they're painted, hopefully the 1" snows we get in MD will not beat the rims up too bad. I'll look for pics of yours.

Brian

They look good. Back in the day we just put on some used black old steelies and usually didn't even bother with the hubcaps. Cars didn't look so good but got through the snows. Best snow tires I ever had were bias belted Goodyear XG with studs. Had em on a Mazda pickup with a couple sand bags in the back. I'd pass all the traffic by going into the uncleard lane. Then they banned studs in Ohio. Then I moved south. :D

OK, I decided that 1000.00 cdn was a bit steep for the TPMs. (270 per) on my winter Black steel rims, on my

IS250.

Does anyone know, can you just install one, to have the system to identify it, and stp giving me the blinking message to check system.

thanks

So if I was to buy new rims and tires for my 350, will I need to get a new set of tps or can I run without them?

Rookie:

To clarify what Bartkat said. You don't need to buy them. I have 4 aftermarket wheels installed on my car without the TPMS sensors. The car display has a message that continually reads "check system," there is a red warning symbol in the center of the dash, and there is a small tire symbol blinking in the right corner of the display.

I don't find this annoying, especially when I compare it to the annoyance of paying $500 for the sensors and installation and configuration.

larry