Expected Tire Mileage For Es330

RandyBa

Am I doing something wrong, or should I expect to get less than 20,000 miles with each new set of tires that I buy for my 2005 ES330? The car came with Bridgestone Turanzas EL42, the tire size is P215/55R17. That first set lasted 17,000 miles before they became nearly completely bald. I replaced them with the same tires (Bridgestone Turanzas) and this time only got 11,000 before they went bald. The most recent set, I rotated the tires twice while I had them and also had the alignment done twice during that same time period.

Any suggestions on what tires to get next, what to do differently to get better mileage in the future and what mileage should I expect with my new set? Is poor mileage with these cars just a given, I would love to hear others' experiences with this matter.

Your problem is that you are replacing the tires with the same ones and expecting a different result. The lifespan of the tires is more a function of the type of tire than the car.

Look for tires with higher treadwear warranties, read the info on www.tirerack.com

Your problem is that you are replacing the tires with the same ones and expecting a different result. The lifespan of the tires is more a function of the type of tire than the car.

Look for tires with higher treadwear warranties, read the info on www.tirerack.com

Agreed.......much better choices out there than the OE Bridgestones.

:cheers:

Well they have two OEM tires. If you have the Michelin MXV4 S8s the mileage will be more like 30-40k. If you have the Bridgestones you'll be lucky to get 20k.

Its not really a question of quality, its rubber composition. You trade off sticky handling, smooth and quiet ride for shorter tire life often unfortunately.

• 11 months later...
Well they have two OEM tires. If you have the Michelin MXV4 S8s the mileage will be more like 30-40k. If you have the Bridgestones you'll be lucky to get 20k.

Its not really a question of quality, its rubber composition. You trade off sticky handling, smooth and quiet ride for shorter tire life often unfortunately.

I don't know how Toyota decides which car to use which tire. But it seems I also got this low quality Bridgestone tire. I don't know how much money Toyota can make more by using such low quality tires. But when they made such extra money, they are losing a customer. I bought one Toyota ten years ago. Because i were happy with Toyota car, I bought Lexus recently (year 2005). Then I found Lexus's GPS has big problem. I have to drive my car off free way to enter the destination for GPS to work. I just can not believe this. I talked to Lexus dealer, they didn't accept this is a design problem. They told me that this is a safety feature. Oh, my god!. Why my wife can not enter destination address when I drive in the free way? Now, I found they also use this low quality tire for a luxury car. That surprised me again. So, I definitely will not buy any car from Toyota again. They will not get any single penny from me (also from my son, my daughter, and these persons I can influence) in the future.

The lockout for the nav system exists on many different manufacturer's cars. Its fast becoming the industry standard. Its annoying, but not that big a deal. I've had the nav system for almost 5 years and use it daily, it no longer bothers me. Just put the destinations in before you set out on your trip.

As for tires, all carmakers sell cars with crappy tires. Just wait until they wear out and replace them with better tires.

Even if the car has two flaws, a nav system that doesn't operate as you would like and tires you don't like. The tires are replacable, you can get used to the nav system. My ES has nearly 100k miles and still rides, drives, and looks as good as it did when it was new, there are people here with 200-300k on their Lexus vehicles and they still provide comfortable, reliable, stylish transportation. To say that Lexus is not a good car because you can't input nav destinations when moving and they come with crappy tires from the factory is unfair. They obviously are very good cars, but nothing is perfect.

If you want to enter nav destinations when moving buy a BMW, Mercedes, or Acura (thats pretty much it). The BMW and Mercedes will cost you a fortune in maintenance and repair costs as they age, and the Acura will depreciate like a rock and be outdated in 2 years but hey, you can enter nav destinations while driving!

• 3 months later...
Am I doing something wrong, or should I expect to get less than 20,000 miles with each new set of tires that I buy for my 2005 ES330? The car came with Bridgestone Turanzas EL42, the tire size is P215/55R17. That first set lasted 17,000 miles before they became nearly completely bald. I replaced them with the same tires (Bridgestone Turanzas) and this time only got 11,000 before they went bald. The most recent set, I rotated the tires twice while I had them and also had the alignment done twice during that same time period.

Any suggestions on what tires to get next, what to do differently to get better mileage in the future and what mileage should I expect with my new set? Is poor mileage with these cars just a given, I would love to hear others' experiences with this matter.

yokohama yk520s V rated with a 65K warranty from Discount tires I have em on mine and they are superb all weather tires replaced my TOYO POS tires after 9K from the dealer ..put yokohama avid V4s on lasted 20K ...returned them to Discount tires got pro rated replacement YK520s and will buy them every time I need to change tires for the rest of the life of my es excellent tires excellent service from Discount tires and replaced my avids pro rated for $200 for 4 tires