Verizon/bluetooth/blackberry Phone Integration

hermie

I've heard over the years that Verizon service is incompatible, or near-incompatible, with the SC430's bluetooth capability. The dealer has told me Cingular works perfectly, Sprint (which I have) decently, and Verizon not well at all. I had to borrow someone's Cingular phone to input phone numbers into my car phone address book, but did manage to thereby bypass my Sprint phone's inability to do that. I'm now thinking about switching carriers to Verizon and purchasing a Blackberry, but won't/can't if it won't work with my SC430's bluetooth.

Any information? Thanks.

I've heard over the years that Verizon service is incompatible, or near-incompatible, with the SC430's bluetooth capability. The dealer has told me Cingular works perfectly, Sprint (which I have) decently, and Verizon not well at all. I had to borrow someone's Cingular phone to input phone numbers into my car phone address book, but did manage to thereby bypass my Sprint phone's inability to do that. I'm now thinking about switching carriers to Verizon and purchasing a Blackberry, but won't/can't if it won't work with my SC430's bluetooth.

Any information? Thanks.

I have a Verizon wireless phone, and it's a royal pain to integrate with the SC's bluetooth. While it does 'work', you can't upload your phone book, and you have to enter every single number manually. Too, for reasons known only to the digital demons that roam the cyber-ether, despite my Verizon phone being less than two feet away from the display screen (nestled in the cup holder) the thing disconnects repeatedly, and will not reconnect until I restart the car. Put simply, from my experience, if you plan to use hands-free a good deal of the time to make a good deal of your calls, Verizon is a bad deal indeed.

mmg

Any information? Thanks.

I have a Verizon wireless phone, and it's a royal pain to integrate with the SC's bluetooth. While it does 'work', you can't upload your phone book, and you have to enter every single number manually. Too, for reasons known only to the digital demons that roam the cyber-ether, despite my Verizon phone being less than two feet away from the display screen (nestled in the cup holder) the thing disconnects repeatedly, and will not reconnect until I restart the car. Put simply, from my experience, if you plan to use hands-free a good deal of the time to make a good deal of your calls, Verizon is a bad deal indeed.

mmg

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

• 2 months later...

I have Verizon and a LG/VX8300 phone and it works well. Very easy to program and the connection works at up to 20 feet. Look at www.verizonwireless.com/bluetoothchart. This should help you select the best fit.

I have Verizon and a LG/VX8300 phone and it works well. Very easy to program and the connection works at up to 20 feet. Look at www.verizonwireless.com/bluetoothchart. This should help you select the best fit.

I'm afraid this post is a bit misleading. I have the LGVX8100, and while you can manually tap in all the phone numbers you wish, you cannot upload your entire phone book. It took me three hours (and a seriously sore finger) to 'program' my entrie phone book into the car. Further, while the phone is supposed to connect at up to 20 feet away, it still mysteriously disconnects every so often at six inches away, and once disconnected, will not reconnect unless you turn off the car and restart it. Once again, then, if you're thinking of Verizon, caveat emptor. Or, put simply, don't say I didn't warn you :cries:

mmg

btw I just checked the url the poster supplied, and it very clearly states that you cannot upload your phonebook with his phone either.

• 2 months later...
I've heard over the years that Verizon service is incompatible, or near-incompatible, with the SC 430's bluetooth capability. The dealer has told me Cingular works perfectly, Sprint (which I have) decently, and Verizon not well at all. I had to borrow someone's Cingular phone to input phone numbers into my car phone address book, but did manage to thereby bypass my Sprint phone's inability to do that. I'm now thinking about switching carriers to Verizon and purchasing a Blackberry, but won't/can't if it won't work with my SC430's bluetooth.

Any information? Thanks.

The biggest problem with Verizon phones is that "generally" Verizon disables many of the Bluetooth profiles and won't allow you to push your phone book to the car. I have used a LG VX-8000 and a Motorola K1M with fairly good luck on the audio connection, but neither will send the phone book to the car. The connection is stable for the most part and I can get out to pump gas etc. and it will stay connected. Seems to hang on until about 20 to 30 feet and then drops. It does re-connect when I get back into range most all the time with the Motorola, less so with the LG.

The audio on the SC is better than my LX, mainly because of which speaker and the location of the speaker it uses. Otherwise they are the same. You will get a signal strength display from the phone too. That is nice to have.

You may want to check with someone who has a Blackberry or one of the newer smart phones as I have heard that some of them have more of the Bluetooth profiles enabled from Verizon. If that is so, they may let you send the phone book to the car....

I've heard over the years that Verizon service is incompatible, or near-incompatible, with the SC 430's bluetooth capability. The dealer has told me Cingular works perfectly, Sprint (which I have) decently, and Verizon not well at all. I had to borrow someone's Cingular phone to input phone numbers into my car phone address book, but did manage to thereby bypass my Sprint phone's inability to do that. I'm now thinking about switching carriers to Verizon and purchasing a Blackberry, but won't/can't if it won't work with my SC430's bluetooth.

Any information? Thanks.

I recently purchased an SC430 (2005) and Verizon has the best coverage in my area so I supposed I'm stuck with the disabled bluetooth on my VX8300. MMG mentioned the ability to input phone numbers into the Nav phonebook manually and I have not yet found a way to do that. The only way it seems to take them is if I have called or received calls using those numbers. Can someone explain how direct input is achieved? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid this post is a bit misleading. I have the LGVX8100, and while you can manually tap in all the phone numbers you wish, you cannot upload your entire phone book. It took me three hours (and a seriously sore finger) to 'program' my entrie phone book into the car. Further, while the phone is supposed to connect at up to 20 feet away, it still mysteriously disconnects every so often at six inches away, and once disconnected, will not reconnect unless you turn off the car and restart it. Once again, then, if you're thinking of Verizon, caveat emptor. Or, put simply, don't say I didn't warn you :cries:

mmg

btw I just checked the url the poster supplied, and it very clearly states that you cannot upload your phonebook with his phone either.

I have a motorola razor and I'm not even able to manually endter phone numbers into the 2006 GS300. Any ideas on how to?

Thanks

KJZ