New owner

woolif

I am an new owner of a 97 LS 400. No owners manual and had a few questions. One what is the switch labeled ECT Norm/power on the console and what does it do. Two does this car have brake pad sensors as I have read here that others Lexus's do? Can I improve road noise by changing from present tire (Michelin P235/60 R16 97V M+S) to something different. I haven't been impressed with road noise so far Thanks

Welcome! I'm new to this club myself, but I'm also a member of 'ClubLexus'.

There are brake pad sensors located on the right calipers in front & rear, they cost about $100 a piece from the dealer. It's just a piece of wire that's looped, once it breaks the brake pad wear limit indicator displays. Mine broke recently, I got a piece of copper wire, soldered it to make a new loop and the warning light disapeared. :D The ECT increases transmission power and speed in my experience. Pay attention to your acceleration in 'Norm' mode and try it in 'Power' mode. You will feel a difference, you get longer revs in power mode than in norm. As far as tires are concerned try the Yokohama Avid or Decibels, I heard those have minimal road noise. Check out www.tirerack.com for different brands and ratings and also www.tires.com www.victoriatire.com for comparison in prices...good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced the tires that were on my ls400 when I bought it (goodyear eagle GA V-rated).

I have only had the tires on for two days, but I do love them.

I recommend the Bridgestone Potenza RE950. They are H speed

rated tires, but I notice only an improvement in handling (no degredation).

I bought my tires at tirerack.com

• 2 months later...

Woolif

I think you should see what shape your tires are in. If they're still new with a lot of tred, I would say keep them and wear them out. I would also recommend calling the 800 number from Lexus.com and asking them to send you another owners manual. Also, ask them to update their database with your new ownership info. Very helpful.

Lexozz:

I need to ask how you attached the Copper wire to the brake sensor and soddered it? Could you give us some more info on how it was done correctly?

thanks

• 5 months later...

You can also get a new owner's manual by going to www.lexus.com and signing up as an owner. You can order one online for free. The tires I got for my 94 Lexus are Bridgestone Turanza V-rated. They are EXCELLENT and reasonably-priced (about $130/tire). 225/60R16 Turanza LS-V with 40,000 mile warranty. Got them at Costco. Great warranty and road hazard warranty. No hidden costs. Just $129.99 per tire and 50 cent Missouri tire fee each. $4.00 for 4 tire disposal, balanced the spare for $4.00. Added tax. Total $566.73. Great job. They were special orders. Good luck! P.S. Don't get Dunlops. They're LOUD!

yeah register on the lexus website and they will send u a brand new lexus manual, i just got one myself, as to ect norm switch - all it does is makes ur tranny to switch to higher gear around 600-800 rpms later then on a normal drive.

as to tires, i think u got already a lot of advices :rolleyes: