From Lexus, 2004 Es330 List Of Changes

SW03ES

Okay guys, here it is from AutoSpies, what is included in the ES330. Not all that much, like we'd thought, and no exterior or styling changes at all. I've come to trust AutoSpies because of their somewhat true information on the LS430 refresh:

ES 330 (Preliminary)

* New 3.3L V6 E/G (3MZ-FE)

* 225hp @ 5600rpm

* 240lb-ft @ 3600rpm

* ULEV-II classification

* 10.8:1 compression ratio

* 7.2sec 0-60mph

* 15.5sec 1/4 mile

* est. 20/29 city/hwy mpg rating

* Revised 5-Speed Automatic Transmission

* Wider gear ratios aid acceleration and mpg

* Better hydraulic pressure control for smoother, more responsive shifts

* Improved grade logic

* Memory Feature Now Available for Power Adjustable Pedals

* Gen 4 NAV

* The optional NAV is a new, improved 4th generation system with better graphics and some new functionality (such as phone number-based address location and building footprint display)

* Power Lumbar Availability for Front Passenger Seat

* Passenger seat power lumbar now included w/ power seat option

* New Upper Hinge for Front Headrests

* Allows lower portion of headrest to swivel towards occupant for larger support area and a better, more comfortable occupant fit

* Modified Exterior/Interior Combination Availability

* Due to complexity reduction, some combinations are no longer available:

* Alabaster Metallic no longer available w/ Black fabric

* Starlight Pearl is now only available with Ivory leather

* Blue Onyx Pearl has no fabric availability

* Black Garnet Pearl no longer available w/ Light Charcoal leather or Black fabric

* Black Onyx no longer available w/ Ivory fabric

* Larger Side Airbags

* Increased size provides significantly larger protection area (includes

torso)

* Occupant Classification System

* Adopted for passenger seat with 3 deployment options (OFF/Low/High)

Nothing spectacular except that they do seem to think the tranny is being reworked, maybe thats good news for us with 02s and 03s. That acceleration number is much improved with so little new power, may not be accurate. I'm very interested in the headrests that pivot, that should be a direct swapout for our cars. I'm all over that.

As for the all new Gen 4 nav, I've seen it on the RX330, its basically the same with some new options and more pixels. The upgrade for our nav systems should have at least the new functions.

If you wanna see it for all Lexus models in 04, here ya go http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_artic...le000175132.cfm

Steve:

Thanks for being the first to post this information, as you previously promised on my other topic re the ES 330(?). Reading this week's postings on other topics re the 02/03 transmission problems, and the problems with the fixes that have been installed, I have been getting really discouraged. In fact, I told my wife last night that with the problems with the fix, that it probably would not even be worth looking at the 04 since no one was talking changes to the transmission that worked. I am feeling much better today looking at the specs.

So thanks again. By the way, I missed something and cannot get those smilies to click. Right now I'd post the two faces with the two beers. Could you, or someone on the like, give me a quick tutorial so that I could participate. They lighten up our posts.

Jeff

Not unusual, the IS has been out longer than the ES, the LS is refreshed, the ES will get some new colors when it gets refreshed in 2005.

Jeff, all you gotta do is put the cursor where you want, and then double click the smilie you want.

:cheers:

Have you driven an 03 to see if the geometry of the transmission really bothers you at all? It honestly doesnt effect me in the way I drive, you may be the same way. If you're smooth on the throttle and dont ask for immediate full acceleration, the tranny is fine. I say this because we're expecting a price hike for the ES330 of possibly $5,000, and as you can see almost nothing is new. If I were you, and the tranny didnt bother me, I'd go ahead and get an 03, or at least hold off until I see final pricing on the 04, then you could always snatch an 03 up at a great price.

My worry about the transmission for us 02 and 03 owners is that it wont be a fix that they can just put into our cars, that it will be a hardware revision. The taller gear ratios and such, the introduction of the revision now, less than 2 months from the ES330s arrival...

Steve:

I will try driving the 03 using the acceleration method you have written about. That will be hard, because I drive a Saab 9-5, and you have to floor it to get the turbo to kick in. I also live in the Washington region, commuting from Bethesda to "Alexandria" (Eisenhower Ave.). I have lots of highway speed merges, so moving acceleration is important to me. But I will give it a try with an open mind and will let you know.

Thanks, Jeff

P.S. The double clicks don't seem to work. I am at a government computer and the program may have decided that smiley faces are irrelevant.

You can also do this, just taking the spaces out : cheers : : rolleyes :

Also the normal smilies work too, again taking out the spaces ; ) : ) : ( etc etc.

What dealership have you been working with in the area?

In 91 or 92 we bought an ES 250 at Lindsey, but of course our salesman is long gone. On this round I simply cruised through Lindsey long enough to pick up an 03 catalogue, but have not taken a test drive. They are convenient to my commute for service purposes. Who have you dealt with in the area?

I bought mine in Annapolis, but Tom Lane is a great salesman at Lindsay, he sold my father his LS400 in 98. He's still there I believe, real nice guy. Lindsay's a great dealership. Lexus of Silver Spring is running a deal where if you buy before September 2nd you get free maintenance until 15,000 miles. Every dealership in the area has their claim to fame. I dealt heavily with Len Stoler up near baltimore, but we couldnt see eye to eye on a price.

You can buy it and then service it anywhere, Lexus dealerships generally treat all customers the same whether you bought from the dealership or not. I definately reccomend Annapolis, but its a haul from our area for sure.

I'm thinking about the 04 ES330 (presently driving a 98 ES) but am concerned as we all are about the continuing possibility of the tranny problem. Today I took a look at the new 04 Camry V6 Solara (because the ESs have never been great in the handling dept). Is the Solara 04 5-spd Auto transmission (which is standard withthe V6) the same transmssion as what we would get in the 04 ES330? In fact, has the Camry V6 in 02 and 03 been sharing the same transmission as the ES in those years? (since I have not heard of outraged 02, 03 Camry owners)

the thing to check in addtion is whether or not the 04 Camry/Solara has the electronic throttle system. I think this further eccentuates any tranny problems that we see.

We can only wait till late Sept/October to see.

steviej

Steve:

I took out a 2003 ES 300 for an extensive test drive from Springfield to Rockville (through Tom Lane at Lindsay, who was the guy who gave me the brochure a few months ago). I really like it, and its probably at the top of my list, even though I will have to give up some toys that are in my Saab 9-5. However, the ride (and the seats) are fantastic, and with a bad back these are major factors. 90% of the time the acceleration was fine, and I was able to finesse the accelerator as suggested (I think...). However, there were a few times when I wasn't sure where the transmission was going.

My lease on the Saab ends at the end of October, so I will be able to wait for the ES 330s and compare. My understanding is that the sticker price difference will not be substantial, but the actual price difference between 300s and 330s will be increased by the fact that in the fall the 300s will be "leftovers." I may even wait for the big December sale. :)

Jeff

Jeff,

Whatever information that Tom gives you is good information, he's a real good guy. We haven't heard any concrete pricing details from Lexus, so its possible the price increase may not be as substantial as we'd thought.

Glad you like the car!

I was actually bopping around quite briskly. Ever since the strut noise has gone, I have to say, I push the car a little now. and it's FUN. :D :D :D It is so very comfortable. I love getting off the boat from work and then sliding into the car and traveling home with no worries.

The ECU between my ears has adapted well and I haven't had the "fix" yet. I am still waiting. Every once in a while I think about trading in for an 04 if they turn out to be better.

But then again, I really love my car now.

(oh my god, I am starting to sound like piggyncsu. :blink::rolleyes: :D :P ;) )

go with your instinct.

steviej

what toys are in the Saab 9-5 that we ain't got? you see I love the toys if they can be functional too.

Steviej:

In answer to your question, the main toys on my Saab 9-5 which are not present in the ES300 are:

1. Lots of good controls for the radio are on the steering wheel (but not too many little ones). I'll miss this because I am always changing the settings on my radio. But the reach in the ES300 isn't extreme, and the volume and seek buttons are big which should make things easier. I do think that Lexus is backward in this area (but I do love the 3 spoke steering wheel).

2. The passenger rear mirror automatically goes down in reverse. However, this is a chip which tends to go down, both in this, and in my prior car. Nothing is more frightening than wanting to change lanes to the right at high speed on a highway and finding that you are looking at the pavement. Also, there are many who don't want it to go down.

3. Telescoping steering wheel (this isn't a problem for me, but tends to irk my wife who is 5'0").

4. The Saab has split, folding rear seats. I rarely use this option, but my son and I once brought 3 kayaks back from West Virginia, with the smallest kayak making use of the folded seat.

I would tend to agree with Steve that those who are happy with their current cars might want to wait a year. Or maybe...

Jeff :magic:

I asked an internet Lexus dealer to search for a '03 es, Silver ,with gray interior and navigation but after a week he said he had searched California and 7 surrounding States but couldn't locate one and wasn't expecting any in. He emailed yesterday saying a '04 es330 is coming in, equipped like we want, and it should be in the L.A. area within a week and a half. I'm anxious to see if the transmission problem has improved.

I'm anxious to see if the transmission problem has improved.

Please let us know as soon as you get a chance to drive the '04. This is the big question that we've been wondering about. :rolleyes:

Actually, a bad salesman. A good car salesman is supposed to move whats on his lot first, he should have offered you a great price on whatever he had.

Unless *gasp* he actually WANTS you to get what you want and be happy...

Car salesmen everywhere shudder lol. Actually this is why most Lexus dealers hire people who aren't career car salesmen to sell their cars, because of the stereotypical cheesy sleazy guy who just wants the money...

On 8/20/03 an Oxnard dealer said he would be happy to quote a price on a '04 Silver with gray interior plus navigation that he had coming into his dealership in "a week and a half" and I asked him to please do :) I haven't heard back yet. I did ask if there might be additional exterior color changes ( I'd like a gray) and he said, "it doesn't seem so but only limiting some interior" He had looked for an '03 for us but couldn't find the color and navigation package we wanted. Sure would be GREAT if someone closer to Oxnard or another larger dealership got the new info before we travel 3 hours. :whistles:

Thats a FANTASTIC price on the 03, can't touch it for that here, even at the end of the model year.

And no there are no color changes for 04. Like you I love that Graphite Grey pearl the GS, IS, and RX come in. It came on the previous gen ES, but not the current one. Oh well.

Received the quote on the '04 and with the car having navigation, Levinson, AVS, heated seats, power rear sunshade, etc. They said it would be $37,031(plus tax and lic.), which according to them is $1,500 off MSRP. Both times they mentioned the es '04 they wrote es300 but I'm sure they mean 330 as the '03 es300 was quoted at $4,814 off MSRP. I thought I read they were no longer going to offer the AVS on the 2004 ?