'03 No Pick-up

1lola1

Several times now when I've tried to change lanes in my '03 I have had absolutely no pick-up. This almost got me in trouble. I don't quite remember having this problem with my '00. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be? Also, does anyone find that your car shakes and rumbles when idle (at a light or something)?

Run a search for 02 or 03 transmission. This is a common problem in the ES when accelerating fully around 40MPH to 60MPH, like when accelerating to merge onto a highway etc. It can be dealt with by driving with the transmission in "4" as opposed to "d" or just not using full throttle. I keep it 3/4 at most and I've never asked for more power than it had. There's a new transmission fix for it out now, but if you read below its not met with a great response. Welcome to the club!

As for the idle, no thats something the dealer should look at, when I'm sitting at a light its hard to tell the car is even on its so smooth.

As for the idle, no thats something the dealer should look at, when I'm sitting at a light its hard to tell the car is even on its so smooth.

I have to agree with SW03ES, you can learn to play the pedal and you can have the best of acceleration. It will take some time, but it can be done. I have no problems with quick get aways now.

As for the shaking, maybe you have a loose motor mount or something. You should have the dealer look at it. I have to look at the tach with I am at stand still just to make sure the car is running. It is so smooth that I am the type to accidentally think it is off and hit the key again. :chairshot:

steviej

Steve,

I did that yesterday. Whilst on a business trip we stopped to get something to eat and ate in the car. We finished eating, then I reached for the key and started it up...again. Immediately I heard the screaming starter kick in and that disrupted the engine enough to kill it. My business parter looked at me w/ discust. :blushing: Maybe they should have engineered a small vibration into the car so you could tell it's running! :lol:

Do the new cars have the protection so you can't restart it when it's running...just curious.

in the movie Good Morning Vietnam

Robin Williams has the best line for this, he looks at Forrest Whitaker and says: "it's a simple concept, if the car is running, don't try to start it."

you have to see the movie.

sj

I have to agree with SW03ES, you can learn to play the pedal and you can have the best of acceleration. It will take some time, but it can be done. I have no problems with quick get aways now.

As for the shaking, maybe you have a loose motor mount or something. You should have the dealer look at it. I have to look at the tach with I am at stand still just to make sure the car is running. It is so smooth that I am the type to accidentally think it is off and hit the key again. :chairshot:

steviej

Okay, that settles it. It's time to visit my friendly, neighborhood Lexus dealer. It's the same thing with the rumbling when I first start-up. When I'm at a light, I actually put it into neutral so it won't rumble so much. It's embarrassing. I have to be more assertive with these guys at the dealership :chairshot:

Yeah thats definately not right. Its even hard to tell my car is running when standing next to it on the outside. Its even possible that the bulk of your lack of power is coming from whatever the hell is wrong. What kind of gas do you run, brand and octane? Have you tried changing gas companies?

Any other Lexus dealers in your area?