Rx300

jecho777

Hi, I bought 99 Lexus Rx300 a few weeks ago. And one day while I was pulling out the key from the ignition switch somehow my ignition switch got messed up. (Basically, I was able to pull out the key (without applying force) but the ignition stayed on "ON" position).

I have two questions....

1) Even though I know it is a used car, should I be able to pull out the key from the ignition like that? (i.e. position on "ON")?

2) When I took it to the dealer, he said that because he wants to have a good relationship with me in the future, that he will replace the ignition switch for free but will charge labor.

I was looking all over the internet for possible recall issue on this... But if any of you guys had a similar experience I would love to hear about it.

Thanks a bunch!

First of all, your key should not be able to be pulled out when it's in the on position. It should pull out ONLY in the OFF position. If you just bought this car, then the dealer should fix this problem for FREE, not just for labor. Based on Alldata information, it calls for $132 in parts and 0.4 hours of labor. I'd push for them to replace it for no charge.

Good luck.

JP

BTW, there is no recall or Technical Service Bulletin on this issue.

This is a common problem. When you replace the ignition switch you will need to replace your keys and locks. This is no fun. They were nice to cover the parts for you. Otherwise it will run about $1100 for the ignition key and lock set. Good luck.

JPI

• 11 months later...
This is a common problem. When you replace the ignition switch you will need to replace your keys and locks. This is no fun. They were nice to cover the parts for you. Otherwise it will run about $1100 for the ignition key and lock set. Good luck.

JPI

Hi

In my 1999 RX300 I removed (effortlessly, no force) the key in the ACC position. Stuck it back in and could not turn to LOCK or START. I towed the car the dealer and they recommended to replace the lock cylinder and keys (inside parts nto whole keys) for abotu $1100. I screamed and the service guy offer to replace the lock cylinder only for about half the price, although it is not what Lexus would recommend ! He was honest by saying that he had done this "unrecommended" reapir for those who wanted to save $500 and "none came back".

Can someone help me with my questions :

1. Did I damage the lock ignition ?

2. Did I make the right decision by jsut replacing the lock cylinder ? If it doesn't work, I would have to go through the whole replacing the lock cylinder and keys not just adding the keys (WHY ?)

Your explanation would be really appreciated.

APN :cries: