Front Turn Signal Bulb

UCLABB

Mine appears to have burned out. Haven't done this on a car lately; last time the car had external screws to remove the plastic cover to gain access. Not so with my '99 LS.

So, do I have to partially remove the main headlight assembly in order to get to the signal area? Appears this is necessary, but I hate to mess up the aim.

• 4 months later...

I found that the plastic module on my '99 LS400, containing the front #7440 turn signal bulb, may easily be moved. First remove the small phillips screw holding the tab at the top of the module. Next raise the loosened tab and slide the entire unit directly forward. The module is held in place by a plastic tab attaching it to the lateral side of the headlight module and two other tabs in its rear that fit into small fender/body holes. The unit reattaches easier than its removal.

Incidentally, for this fix, the $10 look at the '99 LS400 shop manual pages on http://techinfo.lexus.com/ was a useless experience.

Muchas gracias, Cayo. I asked my question way back in August. It turns out my bulb is apparently loose or the wiring is loose as I am able to get it back in service with a little bang on the lens cover. I'll give your instructions a try and see if I can find the problem. Thanks again.

I neglected mentioning that, after removing the bulb from my right front directional signal module, the appearance of the bulb filiment looked OK. I reinserted the original bulb into its female socket finding the bulb to function, as it continues to do so 3 days after the removal. Only thing noted on the bulb was some slight discoloration of its two outside wire contacts that I suppose represents corrosion?

How long does your bulb stay functioning after a bang on the lens cover? I would not think that the bulb, as designed, would malfunction by being loosened without completely falling out of its socket. Take a look at a 7440 bulb seeing what I mean.

Also not mentioned is that I broke off the retaining tab held by top screw when removing the unit (I failed to elevate the tab so that it would clear the edge of the headlight module). Small bits of good old duct tape refastened the tab so that all fits tightly together again.

Also not mentioned is that I broke off the retaining tab held by top screw when removing the unit (I failed to elevate the tab so that it would clear the edge of the headlight module). Small bits of good old duct tape refastened the tab so that all fits tightly together again.

I always wondered how the dang bulb comes out! :whistles:

Thanks for the "heads up" on the tab cayo.

I'm sure several of us would have had the same thing happen if you had not mentioned how fragile the tab is?

OK ....... I give up!!!

I wanted to see what clear bulbs would look like in the front turn signal indicator on my 98LS. It currently has an amber bulb installed.

I tried like hell and specifically paid attention to the "Tab" mentioned by Cayo above so as not to break it off.

After removing the screw .......... all I could do is get the housing and lens to move forward about an 1/8" of an inch!! No amount of prodding or wiggling seems to work to get it to release all the way?

Is there a "magic spot" or direction of force that is the key to success?

TIA ....... frustrated but determined ...... :pirate:

After the screw is removed, the directional signal housing must be moved directly forward without any upward or lateral angulation, expecially the latter. Just slide it forward alongside the headlight housing.

Once it's glided horizontally forward a bit less than one inch, it's off. It took a bit of pressure to get the housing moving, at which point I broke off the top tab while not elevating it to clear the headlight housing.

The front turn signal #7440 bulb is clear in my '99LS.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I just helped a friend change the xenon bulb in his 98 ls400. The info here helped tremendously. I must emphasize that you DO have to pull STRAIGHT foward, with a bit of force, as already stated. It almost seems like you shouldnt be pulling that hard, and it does feel as though there is still a screw still securing the lens. But there is only one screw and the lens WILL release with enough pressure. Just watch that top tab!

I found that the plastic module on my '99 LS400, containing the front #7440 turn signal bulb, may easily be moved.  First remove the small phillips screw holding the tab at the top of the module.  Next raise the loosened tab and slide the entire unit directly forward. The module is held in place by a plastic tab attaching it to the lateral side of the headlight module and two other tabs in its rear that fit into small fender/body holes.  The unit reattaches easier than its removal.

Incidentally, for this fix, the $10 look at the '99 LS400 shop manual pages on http://techinfo.lexus.com/ was a useless experience.

That techinfo site looks great but I only need it for help with replacing a brake light in my '97 and would rather not pay them for that info. Cayo, or someone with a subscription, can you check if that info is contained there?

Much thanks. :)

Edit: LOL, I just noticed you said that it was a "useless" experience. :o

May be of interest re non-amber ft. turn signals:

"The basic Federal motor vehicle safety lighting regulation is 49 CFR 571.108 Standard No. 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 applies to both original and replacement lighting equipment. Title 49 U.S.C. 30115 and Standard No. 108 require that all lighting equipment that is intended to replace original lighting equipment be certified as complying with Standard No. 108. Paragraph S5.8.10 allows the certification to be in the form of a DOT symbol on the product. If the certification is not on the product, Section 30115 requires it to be on a label or tag on the item or the box in which the lighting item is shipped. Therefore, in any enforcement action, it is important to examine the item or its container for certification to see whether the certification requirement of Section 30115 is being met.

Table I of Standard No. 108 (applicable to trucks, multipurpose passenger vehicles and buses whose overall width is 60 inches or more) and Table III (applicable to motor vehicles whose overall width is less than 60 inches) require front parking lamps to be white or amber, and front turn signal lamps and front side marker lamps and reflectors to be amber, and all rear and rear side lamps and reflectors to be red, (except that amber is permitted as an optional rear turn signal lamp color, and white is required for backup lamps). The colors themselves must meet the requirements of SAE Standard J578c, Color Specification for Electrical Signal Lighting Devices, February 1977. The colors amber and red may be produced by either a white bulb and amber or red inner or outer lens, or by an amber or red bulb and a colorless or clear lens."

• 1 year later...

A couple of days ago my turn signal arrow in the dash display started to flash on/off at about twice the usual rate when indicating to turn left. I soon realized that the front driver's side turn signal light wasn't working. Like many here I removed the screw that secures the TS housing to the main headlight but I couldn't remove the housing. I pulled gently then harder, tried twisting and eventually gave up since I didn't want to break anything. My next stop was this bulletin board where I found this excellent thread. Thanks to cayo I was able to remove the housing. Incidentally, I found that the bulb was ok so I disconnected the bulb holder from the push-on connector and sprayed the connector with Triflow. After reassembly the bulb works fine and my turn signal works fine. Anyway, here are a couple of photos that might help others. The red arrows show the plastic "nipple" and the plastic retainer that need to be separated during removal.

Turn signal housing removed

Turn signal housing

:)

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the info. I hate when what should be a simple fix turns into a pain in the a$$...

I had to use a flat blade screwdriver to assist the module to pop out...put it in the gap that formed in the lower half, and a gentle pry popped it free.