Sunroof Leaking?

lexus082

I am not sure where the leak is coming from. I first noticed it a few days ago when it was raining and also windy. I was at a traffic light and water started to drip of the button for the map light. I was sort of shocked to see the water dripping onto the seat. I think it coming from the sunroof. Could there even be anyother way for water to drip off of the map light button?

The drain lines for the sunroof may be clogged. there are usually 4 two to the rear and two to the front. Finding them is the trick. Usually there is plastic tubing going through the trunk from the pillars on the rear windows. They usually exit in the wheel well. Ask Lexus where they are located, sometimes running compressed air from the bottom up will clear them, or they may be pinched somewhere.

like lenore said i bet the drains are clogged, but imo the most likely place is right at the sunroof. typically leaves and other matter clogs the holes so the water can't drain out. use your hands to clean out the bulk of it, because you don't want to blow too much debris down the lines.

i should add this is the most common water leak on all cars with factory installed sunroofs.

check the drain holes on top, and use a vacuum cleaner when you find them, The holes go to tubing that routes to the bottom of the car. I would not force the stuff down.

I'm glad I asked, I didn't think anyone would respond with such reassuring advice. Thanks. I will post my findings. Never knew the sunroof had drains that went to the rear of the car.

I'm glad I asked, I didn't think anyone would respond with such reassuring advice. Thanks. I will post my findings. Never knew the sunroof had drains.

**Just used PB blaster to clean them up. I saw four puddles from each drain so hopefully all is good now. I think the right front drain was a little backed up it took longer for the pb blaster to stay down in the drain hole at first.

It looks like this.

PBCatalyst.gif

http://www.pbblaster.com

It is available in almost every hardware auto type store. It is about $5 and is easy to find if you need more info from Google.

I prefer to use it over other things as it has no pressure and is passive in application. It also has a catalyst action to bubble up and clear a clog.

• 7 years later...