New Lexus Owner Here... Need Advice On Pre-paid Service Agreements...

InnovexGolf

I am a new Lexus Owner. Purchased a 1998 LS 400 for $14500 (less $9K for trade) a few weeks ago with almost 90K miles on it. It was leased and then owned by an older couple who took GREAT care of it. All scheduled maintenance done, no accidents, and in beautiful condition inside and out. A few very slight dents on the trunk, but otherwise great condition.

However it did not have the 90K service done, and the local dealer was offering the 90K service for $1800 OR a PRE PAID service plan for 90K through 120K for a total of $1750.

Can anybody offer an opinion as to whether I should do the pre-paid deal, or should I go look at having service done elsewhere?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS... Having owned a Toyota Avalon - which I did like - the LS 400 is an upgrade and a great car. I love it thus far!!!

Hey Kevin - Congratulations on your 98! Sounds like you got a great car at a great deal!

I guess it would depend on what's included with the service plan. Does it include your 90K service, plus all scheduled services up to 120K? Is there any sort of a deductible? I assume it's a Lexus dealer as opposed to a generic used car dealer.

You might get a quote from a local shop specializing in Lexus repairs just for comparison sake. You might be surprised at how much less it is. If it's not, then I'd say go for the service plan, if it includes those other services.

I'm sure you're going to love your LS! Congrats again!

Hey Kevin - Congratulations on your 98! Sounds like you got a great car at a great deal!

I guess it would depend on what's included with the service plan. Does it include your 90K service, plus all scheduled services up to 120K? Is there any sort of a deductible? I assume it's a Lexus dealer as opposed to a generic used car dealer.

You might get a quote from a local shop specializing in Lexus repairs just for comparison sake. You might be surprised at how much less it is. If it's not, then I'd say go for the service plan, if it includes those other services.

I'm sure you're going to love your LS! Congrats again!

Thanks Whitels!

Yes, it would include the 90K and 120K, plus 105K and the oil / lubes at 95K, 100K, etc.

The nice thing about Lexus' service is the loaner, which is a MUST for me. I would love to go to a local mechanic in principle, but no loaner car, and Lexus would usually stand behind their work - to save future sales and service - right? Not that a local mechanic wouldn't, but Lexus can take care of an unhappy customer more easily (financially speaking), and they would seem to look at the "big picture" moreso...

I don't know... maybe I'm crazy.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi, Congratulations!!!!!and welcome to the club. :cheers: Normaly I would shy away but in your case the new purchase and great price/enthusiasm I feel the offer to be acceptable considering the loaner etc. plus the peace of mind of your purchase and building a relationship with your Dealer. I would go with the offer in knowing all is well. Just me..Good Luck.. ;)

Hello: To me the aforementioned maintenance are too expensive considering what they are going to do. The 90k is basically a change of oil, filter, air filter tranny fluid and the timing chaing which is not covered in the 90K, even if it is there I still feel is just to expensive. You can have all to this done in a toyota dealer for less than they are charging you. Or you could have all minus the timing chain done at independants making sure they are ASE certified mechanics and save a bundle. To me is overpirced. Shop around. The timing chain should take one day, no more than that. Check with the toyota dealers nearby it probably coudl save you a lot of money also. Here in PR a 90K costs 500.00- and the most important thing that needs to be done is not covered which is chaging the timing chain at 90K for that they charge 295.00.

C.PR

I am a new Lexus Owner. Purchased a 1998 LS 400 for $14500 (less $9K for trade) a few weeks ago with almost 90K miles on it. It was leased and then owned by an older couple who took GREAT care of it. All scheduled maintenance done, no accidents, and in beautiful condition inside and out. A few very slight dents on the trunk, but otherwise great condition.

However it did not have the 90K service done, and the local dealer was offering the 90K service for $1800 OR a PRE PAID service plan for 90K through 120K for a total of $1750.

Can anybody offer an opinion as to whether I should do the pre-paid deal, or should I go look at having service done elsewhere?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS... Having owned a Toyota Avalon - which I did like - the LS 400 is an upgrade and a great car. I love it thus far!!!