01 Es300 Shift Solenoid

frikna

Hi Guys. I know this may seem like a repost but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I have a 2001 es300 with 93k/mi on it, and my cheak engine light came on, my trannys slipping, and my engines makeing a funny whine.

I read the OBD-II codes they came up with P0765 - generic shift solenoid D malfunction & P0770 - generic shift solenoid E malfunction. So after reading everyone elses posts I'm thinking I need to replace them... But where are the shift solenoids and can I replace them without removing the tranny?? And could there be something else i can do to fix it. help pleeassse. Thanx.

Yes you can replace them without dropping the trans. You have to take out the valve body and replace the solenoids. Toysrme did a write up, with pics, somewhere about dropping the valve body in his trans, just search for it.

I was told by a dealer that you may as well replace the entire valve body because that ends up being the problem in the long run.

frikna, if you are not mechanically inclined, I highly recommend dropping your car off at a Lexus dealership for service work. That's what they're trained to do, especially for hardcore work like transmission. They may also try to tell you to replace the entire transmission, which will be very expensive even for a remanufactured one from another ES, but this is exactly the same scenario I ran into when I had my '01 ES. Tranny started slipping around 98,600 miles, and I got the same CEL error code. Lexus replaced the tranny with a remanufactured one, and I only had to pay 50% of the cost (extended warranty covered the rest for me). It was not the best solution I could have hoped for, but all in all it worked out for me.

lexusk8 I actually read your original post which scarred the hell outta me, I dont wanna replace my whole transmission. I'm just hopeing I can just replace the solenoid.

What is the price of the valve body?

C. PR

frikna, if you are not mechanically inclined, I highly recommend dropping your car off at a Lexus dealership for service work. That's what they're trained to do, especially for hardcore work like transmission. They may also try to tell you to replace the entire transmission, which will be very expensive even for a remanufactured one from another ES, but this is exactly the same scenario I ran into when I had my '01 ES. Tranny started slipping around 98,600 miles, and I got the same CEL error code. Lexus replaced the tranny with a remanufactured one, and I only had to pay 50% of the cost (extended warranty covered the rest for me). It was not the best solution I could have hoped for, but all in all it worked out for me.