Temp Gauge Creeping Up On 96 Ls400

ezekielj007

Ok, yesterday I was sitting in my car waiting on someone for about twenty minutes. The car was sitting still but running and I had the AC on. After about 20 minutes I oticed that the temp gauge started to creep up. I basically reached the second notch before the red then I cut it off because it looked like it wanted to go above that. I let it sit for about 15 minutes then started it back up. It didn't rise anymore with or without the AC on. What do you thin could be the problem? It only happened that once while sitting for a period of time but I want to catch it before it becomes worse.

Ok, yesterday I was sitting in my car waiting on someone for about twenty minutes. The car was sitting still but running and I had the AC on. After about 20 minutes I oticed that the temp gauge started to creep up. I basically reached the second notch before the red then I cut it off because it looked like it wanted to go above that. I let it sit for about 15 minutes then started it back up. It didn't rise anymore with or without the AC on. What do you thin could be the problem? It only happened that once while sitting for a period of time but I want to catch it before it becomes worse.

ez:

Replace the radiator (overflow reservoir) cap with a new one. The old one is probably worn out & it won't hold system pressure like it should. Good news; cheap fix :D

My ES300 used to do that. It turned out that the radiator had a slow leak (so slow that I couldn't even see it on the driveway. The only way I knew was by checking the coolant on a regular basis while waiting for the new radiator to come in.). Is your coolant level ok?

I paid $12.42 for the overflow cap @ Park Place, p/n 16401-50071.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Is this a dealer only part? How much? The parts dept. is closed now so maybe you can give me a heads up before Monday. THX

ez:

You can get a Stant (brand) at somebody like Autozone, which is what I did. I would have preferred an OEM cap, but I pretty much refuse to buy from the local dealers because of their predatory pricing policies. I needed it quickly and couldn't wait for delivery from Texas. Park Place is good, and they are fair. The Stant cap is working fine so far, after about 20K miles. :cheers:

Hi:

Stant was the OEM on my 2003 Murano, so is just like OEM. Before replacing anything unless it is obvious, you need to replace that radiator cap if the car is consuming coolant. \\

C. PR

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Is this a dealer only part? How much? The parts dept. is closed now so maybe you can give me a heads up before Monday. THX

ez:

You can get a Stant (brand) at somebody like Autozone, which is what I did. I would have preferred an OEM cap, but I pretty much refuse to buy from the local dealers because of their predatory pricing policies. I needed it quickly and couldn't wait for delivery from Texas. Park Place is good, and they are fair. The Stant cap is working fine so far, after about 20K miles. :cheers: