Quick Question Re: Replacing Coil Springs

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

I hope you're OK.

My dealer tells me that the front two coil springs are 'sagging'. [i asked them to check the suspension because the car doesn't 'sit' as even as it should] Is it OK to replace JUST the front coils or should I replace all 4 of them?! They also said the original struts are fine and don't recommend getting new ones. [My '93 LS has about 85,000 miles or so]

What would you do?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Hi leximus!! :)

Thanks for replying to my question. I think that if I do go ahead and replace any of the coil springs - I'll replace all four. At least then - they'll all be new. AND the entire suspension can be thoroughly examined. [And not just the front end]

Craig!! :)

If you are getting the springs done I would recommend replacing the struts as well, despite what the dealers says. I replaced the struts on my Mk I with 180k on the clock and my current Mk IV which has done about 75k and it made a huge difference to both cars - much more controlled, less bounce, better high speed stability, better cornering. Springs and struts should make a huge difference.

If your current struts are original then they will be worn - they are a consumable item and only have a limited life. Aparts from the obvious signs like leakage, there is no really reliable test to check them, age/mileage are probably the best indicators.

IMHO replacing the struts are the number 1 improvement you can make to an LS - I fiddled with bushes and secondary suspension parts on my MkI and they all make minor improvements, but nothing made as big a difference as the struts.

• 2 months later...

My car is sagging on the driver side, about one inch lower than the other side.

I don't want to spend too much since i don't have that much, what are my options? What should i replace? Are aftermarket products ok? Thanks

OMAR

When my LS was down on one side it had a broken front spring.

I replaced them both myself.

The strut comes out easy with the spring still on, you can work in comfort in a vice [make some lead jaw liners]

What you do need is some really strong spring compressors. ;)