Knocking Sound Above Rear Passenger Side Strut

leximus

I recently converted my Air Bags on my 91 LS400 to conventional coil struts. I purchased these from Arnault. First of all, the rear seems allot lower than they should be with the wheel sitting just a half inch at times to an inch below the wheel walls in the rear and about four or five inches below the wheel wall in the front. It reminds me of my 93 Jag with the suspension issue. It looks like there's a bunch of junk in the trunk. Should this be? I thought at first that these struts for the LS400 were somewhat adjustable, but looking at them they weren't. The Struts had labels on them for which goes where. I'm somewhat dissatified at the looks of my car, although it rides great. It also seems to scrape at times when I pull into a not so steep but steep enough driveway. Hmmmm.

Secondly, the rear passenger side seems to be making a knocking noise above where the strut is. I think it was accessed by taking out the rear seat backing (i'm not sure how to take this off to look at it either as my mechanic converted for me, so any help at all would be appreciated). Anyone ever have this knocking problem? It sounds like it's coming from inside the car. Could something be loose? I already assesed the trunk area to see if something was loose, first my stero equipment. Nothing. Each time I push down on the car in the rear end near the passenger side, that's where the knocking is. It sounds like it's inside the car when I'm inside, but when I push on it from the rear with the trunk open, it sounds like its coming from behind the right side of the fuel tank.

Need Help in Connecticut!

Leximus

That's what I thought. Do you know how to get the rear seat backing off? are there just bolts at the bottom of the backing and then the rest holding are hooks. I searched and searched but all posts contradict each other.

I appreciate your help.

PS - did you get my message regarding the emblems on the post started by MSlave? I was looking for the gold grille, gold grille emblem, and all gold emblems for the trunk to include the "V8" and the "LS400". I read that you could get them for MSlave with the center caps, however, I have 18" Chrome Rox wheels. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Leximus

Try this: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/rearseat.html

Thanks! Precisely what I was looking for. For some reason, the past two times I went to this sight prior to you replying with the exact link, I was unable to find it and was getting somewhat frustrated. I downloaded the Car Repair Manual from TSI or whatever it's called and they don't go into this detail.

Thanks again.

Leximus

Well, it turned out exactly what I thought it was and SK confirmed it. The torque on the bolt/nut was so off, it was ridiculous. I definitely plan on putting in a complaint to the shop. The back seat removal tutorial is also exactly what I needed.

Thanks guys!!!

Leximus

I should be able to get a full gold kit.

It includes all wheel center caps a new black plastic grille and gold surround as well as the font "L" and rear "L" with "Lexus" and "LS400" scripts as well as radio nut. There may also be a set of gold muffler tips if still available.

You don't need the center caps ,right? You could probably transfer the small "L" 's to your new wheels.