Scissor Doors On An Sc400?

I'm thinking about putting scissor doors on my '92 sc 400.

Has anybody ever seen it?

Are scissor doors reliable/dependable?

Your doors are too heavy to have lamborghini mods. If you do it, the hydraulic lifts will wear out quick and you'll find yourself replacing them all the time. It happened on a Ford MUstang and the lexus doors are way heavier than mustang doors.

Your doors are too heavy to have lamborghini mods. If you do it, the hydraulic lifts will wear out quick and you'll find yourself replacing them all the time. It happened on a Ford MUstang and the lexus doors are way heavier than mustang doors.

Yeah, I knew they were heavy; I was afraid of something like that.

Problems, you think, even if the company selling the kit says it could handle it?

Yeah, I knew they were heavy; I was afraid of something like that.

Problems, you think, even if the company selling the kit says it could handle it?

If i was the company selling the kit, i'd sell it to you regardless of any known problems and make money on all the hydraulic shocks i'd be replacing for you over the years. Only get it if they warranty the shocks for at least a year or two.

Most companies who sell the door hinge conversion only have a few months or days warranty before you having to dish out for new pieces. What kind of product are they standing behind for that low level or service.

Also you do not have regular hinges in the first place which would make this conversion especially tough.

Check out this link for one of my favorite examples of the Lambo doors on an SC.

http://www.wickedbodies.net/generic305.html

Just recently at the Woodward Dream Cruise, here just outside of Detroit, I saw all kinds of cars with those things - including a Hummer H2. Of course, the best was an original Delorean (buterfly doors - standard equipment)

It can be done but how reliable can it be that the door on the SC is so heavy it has a special double hinge to hold the weight.

I agree. You'll definately be replacing some hydrolic parts often.

But from my recollection of "obscure automotive trivia facts" surrounding the many advanced features the SC had when it came out in '91, the special door hinge assembly was not so much for weight as it was for the way in which the door opens. Take a look at a door hinge on any Cadillac, Oldsmobile or Lincoln coupe pre-'80s. They all had doors at least as big and heavy (and bigger) as our SCs. But still only used 2-point hinges.

As was explained to me by a sales rep back in '92 when I first test drove one (and also in some article I read on the car way back when), the door hinge is designed to allow the door to open out & away. So that the top of the door actually folds/falls down & away from the shoulder of the occupant as they enter/exit the car. Thus allowing an occupant full access through a door that needs to open out to a far lesser angle than any other car door on the market.

Just take a look next time you see somebody else swing open their car door - any car door - as it goes swinging out to about 75 or 80 degrees. While ours only needs to travel some 40 or 45 degrees. (I don't know what the actual angular measurement is, but I just know it's a heck of a lot less than most).