Tires For My 02 Camry Se

98es

Well.. its time to replace the rear tires on my camry, and with the front ones being Falken Ziex512's with 10k on them, i'm itching to get them off too. Costco's running a $60 off any 4 michelin tires sale. I tire shopped there yesterday, and here's what it came down to.

Michelin® Energy MXV4 S8 P215/60R16 V RATED: $127.99 each ($451.96 for four after $60 off)

*Can someone tell me what the difference is between this MXV4 S8 and the MXV4+'s that I have on my ES? I know its about $50/tire pricewise but what else?

BFGoodrich® Traction T/A® V P215/60R16 V RATED: $108.99 each ($435.96 for four NO SALE)

*I've heard good things about this tire. From what I understand the traction is awesome, which is something I really value on my camry because it's a 5 speed with NO ABS.

So there it is... i really think I'm leaning towards the BFG's, but i've had such a great experience with my MXV4+'s on my 98ES (20k on them and not showing any signs of wear!). I also like the BFG's classification as an "all season performance" tire over the michelins luxury touring just because its going on my camry. I need your help!

post-13068-1156176788_thumb.jpg

The S8 was supposed to have a better tread design for better light snow traction. Problem was that many customers complained that it was noisier than they expected. I had recently read, forgot where though, that the S8 was being discontinued.

If they have them available, check out the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.

Smooth, very very quiet, awesome rain traction and cheaper than either MXV4s.

steviej

Wes, you can't go wrong with either of them--they are both quality tires, they both provide a very smooth ride, have similar tread wear ratings, etc. Just flip a coin! LOLYou still thinking about a LS?

The S8 was supposed to have a better tread design for better light snow traction. Problem was that many customers complained that it was noisier than they expected. I had recently read, forgot where though, that the S8 was being discontinued.

If they have them available, check out the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.

Smooth, very very quiet, awesome rain traction and cheaper than either MXV4s.

steviej

I have heard that too. Personally its always seemed odd to me that the S8 is cheaper than the MXV4+.

Steve is absolutely right, the Exaltos would be a great match for that car. I may try Exaltos on mine next time. Got plenty of tread left on the MXV4s though, they'll go 50k for sure.

You still thinking about a LS?

Ha yeah I wish... I think we're going to save for a house instead... I told the wife that we couldn't have a house until we had a decent down payment (2-3 years) and she told me then I couldn't get another car lol... But who knows, i'm a really bad impulse buyer so you never know lol

I've been trying to find exaltos since ya'll suggested them, but i can't find them at sams or costco. Do they not make them in my size? Thanks for all the input guys!

I told the wife that we couldn't have a house until we had a decent down payment (2-3 years)

In my professonal opinion, right now thats not a good idea. Interest rates are still low, and most markets are still appreciating in value (if not as much as they were). We have no way of knowing what rates will be like in 2-3 years, and in that legnth of time you WILL have appreciation unless you're in a really tough area. With all the buyer financing options out there today, I think you're probably COSTING yourself money by waiting. Lock in a good rate, get a good agent who can negotiate your closing costs paid by the seller, and put down what you can now vs waiting until you save up a "decent down payment".

Then you can be EARNING money on your investment in appreciation and tax savings while you're saving. if you wait you could wind up paying more for the same house, AND having a higher rate, AND not being able to negotiate for the seller to pay your closing.

If you want to sit down and talk to someone in your area PM me, I know agents all over the country I can point you to.

I've been trying to find exaltos since ya'll suggested them, but i can't find them at sams or costco. Do they not make them in my size? Thanks for all the input guys!

Pretty much TireRack is going to be the only place you'll find them.

Any tire chain store that offers Michelin tires regularly can order them from their distributor. I got mine at Sullivan Tire (big MA/NE chain) and it took about 5 days for them to come in.

If you look at the advertisements for tirerack.com and discounttire.com in R&T, C&D and MT, they don't even list the MXV4 anymore and the S8 usually only display 3 or 4 sizes. Doesn't mean they don't carry them, just means they ain't pushing them in periodicals.

steviej

If you look at the advertisements for tirerack.com and discounttire.com in R&T, C&D and MT, they don't even list the MXV4 anymore and the S8 usually only display 3 or 4 sizes. Doesn't mean they don't carry them, just means they ain't pushing them in periodicals.

That has more to do with profit margins than it does demand, newer model tires like the Exaltos have bigger markups and more profit in each unit for the distributor than a tire thats basically built for OEM, and people who want to replace OEM for OEM (the MXV4s).

Thanks for all the replies guys and your insight on the real estate market SW. I think i've decided to go with the MXV4 S8's. The reviews are better on them and they seem to be more quiet than the BFGs. I really would consider the exaltos, but I trust my guys at Costco and really enjoy having free lifetime rotation and balance. I should be making the switch within the next month... i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Guest snugglebunnies

SW is right on the money about buying now.

Feds have raised rates steadily and the market is going to be slow

to level off. I was thinking along the same lines as you (save up...)

but realized that I was only hurting myself by waiting.

Do a 80/15/5 mortgage loan so you don't have to pay PMI, and if possible

double up at least once a year on a payment (second pays down principle).

Get something (anything) now or you may regret it later. Talk to a professional.

Best move I ever made. Good luck!

Actually the rates went down a little bit recently, making it an even better time to lock in and get into something. You can even do an 80/20 and avoid PMI and spend nothing but closing costs out of pocket.

And that goes for everybody too, if anybody needs to talk to a professional about their options with buying and selling, I have an extensive network of people all over the country. Odds are I can find you somebody who you'll like.