Sway Bar Links Kit

More problems I report to consumer affairs

I came to this location at 8:14 am and didn’t leave till after closing at 5:15 p.m. They supposedly changed both Swar bar links kits- (part # k90312) for $154 each, when the dealers says the parts are $73. My car is still making the same noise. Also charged 88.79 for labor! I just wanna know is this the usual service? I am a die hard firestone customer. I also have a lifetime alignment on all 3 of my cars that I bring you all. When I asked for an alignment and a spec sheet to take to get a state inspection, I was declined one, saying that it is in specifications, and they just did an alignment re-check. I don’t wanna go to the BBB , but this very unprofessional, I know they charge a little extra for parts, but not double the amount plus some. Let me know how I should proceed, or if this can be fixed. I payed out 416.51 dollars for this service and my problem is still not fixed.

Sincerely,

Coley Coleman

It's probably just the $30 bushings that mount the sway bar that are shot. Behind that I'd blame strut mounts. Aftermarket end-links are cheap. Don't those sell around $30-50 a kit? Hour of labor to change both. That's $60-90.

So... Nomore than $175 tops is what I'd pay.

Ha! I got charged the same price by an independant mechanic in Sommerville, MA.

I thought it was quite high, until I found aftermarket links for like, 1/3 the price. Oh well... they only charged me $500 for the water pump and timing belt, though.

BUT I STILL HAVE A RATTLE when I go over small bumps at speeds <30mph. I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts...

Paul

I'm kinda scared, but now they are thinking its the secondary Strut Mounts !?!?!? Whatever that is, and they are giving me a quote of $ 530 , talking about they have to take the struts all the way off the vehicle to get to them. What is a seconary strut mount, i thought they only had one! Bad thing is , i aint rich or nothing, but I want the noise to stop!!! Im going to let them mes my car up some more, well overcharge me anyways,

if the noise is coming from the rear then its the sway bar bushings. a lot of places replace the links. the bushings are about $12 each and i charge about $35 to replace them. one thing to watch out for though, is the bolts that hold the brackets on, can break. if that happens be prepared to spend a few more bucks to have the bolt holes drilled and re-threaded.

oh, yeah they reamed you a new one. when will people realize that these mass markerters are clueless and charge way too much. i wouldn't let one of them change the oil in my lawnmower.

thats harsh, not even your lawnmower huh?! Nah it s the front right side! Even though they changed the sway bar links, you hear some bouncing when you go over bumps or in pot holes. I have new struts , i m guessing the strut mount wasnt replaced, or may be it was, but something is bouncing up and down! I s it true that you have to remove the struts to get to the strut mounts? Thats why the labor is so much?! Someone give me the inside scoop please!!!

yes, you have to remove the struts to replace the mounts.

sorry, i assumed it was the rear because that's the most common. chances are though that the front sway bar bushings are going bad. the RF one usually goes 1st because pretty much every toyota 6cyl fwd car develops a P/S leak at some point in time and the P/S fluid leaks right down on the rf sway bar bushing. this ruins the bushing over time.

• 4 weeks later...

Check your lower control arm and other suspension bushings including your rear suspension links. I had both of my 1994 ES300 front lower control arms replaced and now it rides like a charm.

Jack

Ha! I got charged the same price by an independant mechanic in Sommerville, MA.

I thought it was quite high, until I found aftermarket links for like, 1/3 the price. Oh well... they only charged me $500 for the water pump and timing belt, though.

BUT I STILL HAVE A RATTLE when I go over small bumps at speeds <30mph. I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts...

Paul

Ya know? I have somewhat of the same problem only I need a little extra done to the car. Things such as new struts (all 4) sway bar link, the bushings, a knock sensor, knock sensor harness, tie rods, air intake manifold (I went to Pep Boys complaining about how my car ['92 ES 300] stalls or even shuts off completely when I'm in D, P, and sometimes R). They gave me a price estimate of about 800-1200 and I was wondering if this was a little too much or a bargain! My biggest concern, however, is what is causing my car to shut off at stops?!?!? I had gone to several places and they told me that the engine isn't getting enough air so it shuts down. Also, when I'm at redlights (and the car doesnt shut off or seem to stall) the RPM's seem to jump from 1000 to about 100 and then back to 1000 several times. How would you guys rate Pep Boys' service? Have any of you had any complaints by them? I know I can't go wrong at a dealer but I also know that I'll be paying much, much more, so thats why I'm asking.

Thats a bit harsh I would say. What mainstream shops would you guys recommend for me? Or if you're in the Orlando area, do you know any good shops around? I really need to get my car fixed as soon as possible and I want good quality service at an affordable price.

not after fixing the number of cars i have, that the local one has screwed up.

• 4 years later...

hi there..I have a weird problem for a while. I was not sure, feeling really weird. I thought that my front suspension had a problem, I visit 2 garages and found nothing.

Now i friend (who knows a lot more at car than me) will try my car this weekend, but after reading i'm pretty sure my problem is too much understeer.

Just one time, i make a 180 on a road! I was turning, the light turn yellow, so a press a little more and my car didnt want to turn! going strait even if i tried to turn a lot, when i release the gas it turned! too much...

I have a Suspensions Techniques sway bar link kit, I guess there's something wrong with my rear bar!? I check and everything *seems* in place, the only thing is that the link kit is very soft to the touch, like if it was rubber, is this normal?

• 4 years later...

I have found over the years no shop anywhere, brand name or not, dealership or chain store will have a qualified mechanic working on your front end. How does anyone seeking relief from noises and performance failures find a qualified mechanic who can exactly find every noise, creek, squeak, low rattle, creaking, loose bushings properly identify, repair and at same time not overbill the hours.

When you replace Control Arms, why add another 2 hours to replace the Sway Bars, when, you have to take them off and put them on in the 3.8 hours assigned to the repair of the control arms themselves?

It appears the only way to out wit any shop is to shop the estimate. They might not double dip or keep adding to labor cost. I have caught a service in an out right lie many times (although not challenging him).