98 Es300 Low Beam Lightbulb Replacement

total1

1998 Lexus ES300

Passenger side low-beam headlight out

I'm needing to replace the low beam passenger light bulb on my 1998 ES300. In looking at the housing it appears that I might need to 'peel' or 'twist' something but I don't want to mess things up. I've removed the connector to the lightbult but the housing is still in place.

The Lexus Owner's manual says to return the vehicle for Lexus dealer servicing. That's a fat chance so can anyone provide some guidance here?

TIA,

Tom :cheers:

Here are the steps to do it:

1) Open hood, locate electrical disconnector from the back of the headlight, and disconnect.

2) Find the large black round rubber cover between the connector and the back of the headlight, and pull that off. You may want to clean the dirt off afterwards and before re-installing it.

3) Here is the tricky part: To access the bulb, you must first stick your hand inside the headlight and find a metal hook that encloses the actual bulb into the socket. Push the hook down with your thumb (if it gets painful, wear a glove). Continue to push down until it's in release form. Swing the hook out of the way (it's hinged with the headlamp), and now you can pull the bulb out.

4) Retain the plug adapter from the old bulb by pulling it off, and install it with the new bulb. VERY IMPORTANT: You must remember the orientation of the bulb when it was removed. There is only one way for the bulb to be installed and operated properly.

5) Reverse the previous steps for re-installation of the new bulb. Turn the headlights on, and there you go.

6) Strong suggestion: Replace both the driver and passenger side bulbs at the same time in order to maintain consistent brightness.

THanks for your help! It's done and we can now 'see' better!

:0

Here are the steps to do it:

1) Open hood, locate electrical disconnector from the back of the headlight, and disconnect.

2) Find the large black round rubber cover between the connector and the back of the headlight, and pull that off. You may want to clean the dirt off afterwards and before re-installing it.

3) Here is the tricky part: To access the bulb, you must first stick your hand inside the headlight and find a metal hook that encloses the actual bulb into the socket. Push the hook down with your thumb (if it gets painful, wear a glove). Continue to push down until it's in release form. Swing the hook out of the way (it's hinged with the headlamp), and now you can pull the bulb out.

4) Retain the plug adapter from the old bulb by pulling it off, and install it with the new bulb. VERY IMPORTANT: You must remember the orientation of the bulb when it was removed. There is only one way for the bulb to be installed and operated properly.

5) Reverse the previous steps for re-installation of the new bulb. Turn the headlights on, and there you go.

6) Strong suggestion: Replace both the driver and passenger side bulbs at the same time in order to maintain consistent brightness.