1992 Es300

Anovice

The first problem is the brake light. Approximately two weeks ago it came on and has stayed on ever since. This was interesting because I had recently been using the emergency break while parking, so my immediate reaction was I did not fully dis-engage the emergency brake. I checked this, but not the problem. I then checked the reservoir under the hood and it was definately low. I bought Dot 3 and filled it up. However, the brake light never went off. Today, I checked it again, and it was low again (assuming I filled it all the way the first time). I filled it all the way up (this time I know I did), but again the brake light has not gone off. If I in fact filled it up the first time, this seems to indicate a leak. However, I can no signs under the car. In any case, I can't figure out why the brake light is not going out. Any ideas what is going on?

The second problem seems to have started about the same time as the first. On the highway I went to use the cruise control. The green light on the dashboard goes on "cruise" when I press the button, however, I cannot get the cruise control to work. I press down on the lever, but the cruise control does not engage. Any thoughts?

I had thought that the two problems might be connected because they happened about the same time and possibly the cause is the emergency brake needs adjusting to fully dis-engage. But, this would not answer why i needed to add brake fluid two times.

• 7 months later...

The first problem is the brake light. Approximately two weeks ago it came on and has stayed on ever since. This was interesting because I had recently been using the emergency break while parking, so my immediate reaction was I did not fully dis-engage the emergency brake. I checked this, but not the problem. I then checked the reservoir under the hood and it was definately low. I bought Dot 3 and filled it up. However, the brake light never went off. Today, I checked it again, and it was low again (assuming I filled it all the way the first time). I filled it all the way up (this time I know I did), but again the brake light has not gone off. If I in fact filled it up the first time, this seems to indicate a leak. However, I can no signs under the car. In any case, I can't figure out why the brake light is not going out. Any ideas what is going on?

The second problem seems to have started about the same time as the first. On the highway I went to use the cruise control. The green light on the dashboard goes on "cruise" when I press the button, however, I cannot get the cruise control to work. I press down on the lever, but the cruise control does not engage. Any thoughts?

I had thought that the two problems might be connected because they happened about the same time and possibly the cause is the emergency brake needs adjusting to fully dis-engage. But, this would not answer why i needed to add brake fluid two times.

Did you fix it yet?

You know whats funny is that I have the same exact problem! I never thought to check the brake fluid, though I doubt thats it. I also have the same cruise control problem but it only happens to me when I have the headlights on - weird. Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any solutions to this becuase its sort of annoying... I have a Lexus and those cars have a reputation to uphold. I don't like it when something faulty happens to a car whose manufacturer claims its "relentless pursuit of perfection" for its cars. It should not happen. To this day, those old 92' ES' still look good and perform just as good. Thats quality right there.

Anyway, solution?

The Brake light pertains to the parking brake switch, the brake fluid level, and the brake lights.

I find the majority of the time, a brake light is out & you don't know it because the brake lights are dual filiment bulbs.

Which means? How can I solve this?

An easy way to tell if its MC or Emer. brake is to disconnect plug on MC. If it goes out its not the emer brake. Mine stuck for months, I had to tap the thing to get it loose. But then I found I had a leak in the brake line

Which means? How can I solve this?

An easy way to tell if its MC or Emer. brake is to disconnect plug on MC. If it goes out its not the emer brake. Mine stuck for months, I had to tap the thing to get it loose. But then I found I had a leak in the brake line

Spend $20 replacing all the tail lights ;)

I had the problem and it was not the taillights. In fact i have all the original taillights.

It's far easier to look at the lights instead of switching them out

If the brakes lights do not work, or if you have upgraded to LED lamps, the cruise control will not work. When you step on the brakes the cruise control detects the brake light voltage and terminates operation. There is a "failsafe" bleeder resistor in the brake light circuit that always supplies a "keep-alive" voltage (current actually) to the brake lights and if there is no bulb filament to keep the voltage from this fairly low the cruise control will think the brakes are always applied. LED lamps are diodes and therefore ALWAYS drop a minimum voltage, sometimes as much as 1.6 volts and that will also prevent the cruise control from engaging.