New Battery In 2002 Rx300

rx300scott

It's time for me to install a new battery in my 2002 RX300. The car has a navigation system. My questions are these:

1. Other than the usual precautions one takes when changing out a battery, do I need to do anything special?

2. Will I lose my radio pre-sets?

3. Will I need an unlock code for the radio? If so, is it the last four digits of the VIN?

4. Do I need to do anything special to protect the navigation system?

Though I've changed-out dozens of batteries in my lifetime, I just want to be sure I don't "smoke" anything on the RX because, as you may know, once the "magic smoke" is out of your electrical system, your car will never run the same again. :P (Just ask thousands of British car owners with the old Lucas electrical systems!) :unsure:

Thanks for your help.

Scott

I dont know about the navigation system, but the radio pre sets stay if you change the battery fairly fast. I think their is a capacitor that holds the memory in the radio for a short time.

I pulled the radio with the navigation system out, had it on the bench for about 10 minutes, put it back in after aligning the display screen in the housing...... kept all the radio settings, had to reset the clock.

The Navigation computer...... I have taken it out of the car, overnight, when I put it back in, turned on the ignition, it loaded the disc and all the settings were the same, I would go to settings and memorize the current settings before disconnecting anyways.....

There is no code for the radio, no theft deterrent

The code for the radio is either the last 4 digits of the VIN, or the lat 4 digits of the key code. Which is correct is up for debate in a prior thread.

If you try it, please let us know which one works!