Volume Knob Not Working Properly

hello there everyone. i've had my 98 es300 for the past 2 years without any problems. lately the volume knob has been making me angry. i might be listening to something and turn it down all the way, but the volume stays the same. the only i can "get control" of the knob would be to quickly turn the knob all the way up and then back down again. needless to say that this way of doing it can easily wake a 2 year old up who might be sleeping in the back seat. any ideas?

hello there everyone. i've had my 98 es300 for the past 2 years without any problems. lately the volume knob has been making me angry. i might be listening to something and turn it down all the way, but the volume stays the same. the only i can "get control" of the knob would be to quickly turn the knob all the way up and then back down again. needless to say that this way of doing it can easily wake a 2 year old up who might be sleeping in the back seat. any ideas?

You have to try to get into the volume control and spray in a contact cleaner, but don't ask me how to do this since I never had the opportunity to get into a Lexus radio. It's most likely to have oxidation in this control. :)

maybe i can take off my whole plastic piece that houses everything, and then use some compressed air and clean it?

maybe i can take off my whole plastic piece that houses everything, and then use some compressed air and clean it?

Let me know what you find I also have this problem with my 97 ES 3 except only with CD not Radio? I guess if thats my only issue I can live with it.

See ya,

JT

They sell contact cleaner in an aerosol container that has a small tube that directs the cleaning liquid into the volume control. Sometimes this'll work. You can get it at Radio Shack here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

P.S. You have to pull off the volume control knob so you can shoot the cleaning liquid down the shaft.