Low torque rattling

Scott_in_Phoenix

Hi there,

I'm getting this weird "rattling" noise whenever I'm in a higher gear than is necessary and I press the pedal just a bit. It sometimes happens from a dead start but the surest way to get it to happen is to slow down to around 10 mph and then press the accelerator just a little in that "dead zone". It sounds like detonation but during my 60k tune up ( I have a 98 LS 400) the BMW mechanic swore it wasn't detonation. Of course, he didn't know what it WAS either. Ok, perhaps I shouldn't have gone to a shop that specializes in Beemers but they came highly recommended.

Any ideas out there?

• 1 year later...

In an airplane engine the most common cause of this is just one or two slightly or partially blocked fuel injectors. Oxygen sensor would normally detect too lean mixture but by the time the exhaust reaches it it's been "blended" with the other cylinder's exhaust.

Scott,

I'm fairly sure that it's heat shield related since I have the same noise on my '99 and had the same noise on my '95 SC400. I haven't managed to crawl under the LS yet but when I looked under the SC I noticed one of the heat shield clamps was very loose. The nut and threads were badly corroded so I replaced the clamp with a 2" stainless steel hose clamp and the noise immediately went away. Your description is exactly what I'm now experiencing in my LS. I if go over a speed bump and accelerate slowly to about 10mph the noise is very obvious. It does it when the engine and exhaust are hot and not when cold which makes sense since the clamp expands when hot - obviously the exhaust expands as well but not as much as the clamp.

:)

• 6 months later...
I haven't managed to crawl under the LS yet but when I looked under the SC I noticed one of the heat shield clamps was very loose. The nut and threads were badly corroded so I replaced the clamp with a 2" stainless steel hose clamp and the noise immediately went away.

I don't own a lexus, this is for a friend but do you think you could send me of what the heat shield clamps look like? Or give me a link to some kind of diagram. I'm sure he'd be able to fix it but he has no idea what the head shield clamps are/look like.

Any help would be much appreciated!

My series 1 has a sound also at around 17,1800 revs...to me it sound like its "pinking"....where the ignition is a little advanced.....i use normal unleaded...there is the dearer super unleaded here in the uk....im just waiting now until the low fuel light comes on.Then i will try a tank full of super unleaded to see if its the fuel as i think normal unleaded is 95 octane.I get the pinking under light throttle loading when the cars got into a high gear.