Car Still Over Heats

So my I hace been without a car for the past month while the mechanics try to fix my car. It started off by over heating. There was a crack in the raditor, so they replaced that and the thermostat; and i thought the problem was fixed, but oh no. It over heats again, this time it is the cooling fan, specifcally the power steeing system, that was replaced. So to my dismay the car overheated one more time, but this time the mechanic does not find anything wrong, and says he can not make the car over heat. So i am picking up the car car today, but i want to know why my car overheats. If anyone has any suggestions it would be helpful.

Sam

The cheapest mechanic is not always the best

It sounds like you have the 93 like I do. I've been through the exact same thing as you - water pump, radiator, etc. etc. The overheating problem is intermittant. I haven't replaced anything in the power steering system yet, but supposedly there is an actuator switch that turns on the flow to the fan motor. (It's a hydraulic fan that runs from power steering fluid pressure) Ask your mechanic if he replaced that - it's the only thing in your power steering system that should be considered when related to your cooling system.

I wish I could help you, but I'm beginning to come to a conclusion: if fixing the power steering actuator and heat temperature switch doesn't help, then this car is destined to overheat! :angry: It seems that it was inherently designed with a poor cooling system. This is certainly why they went to the standard electric motor the following year! Perhaps there's a mod that will allow for an electric fan motor?

thanx poneyboy for the information, i am feed up with the mechanic i am using, i went to pick up my car and they left the partly door open all night and drained my battery, they said the would place it on a charger and let it warm up, but the lazy bleep did not do it, and just jumped when i came to pick it up again. I am going to another mechanic that is a family friend, that i just found out about, and see what they can do for the car.

Sam

don't quite know what to make of this? But the car no longer is having problems i did not get it to the shop b/c i have been sick for the past 4 days, but it is running fine, it is mind boggling. And i do know this will come back to haunt me, but what should i worry i have a warrenty on everything, and they will give me a loaner car

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 93 ES and had a prolbem overheating becuse of the hrdralic fan not work the way it should. I took the power streeing hrdralic contolded fan off and put an electric fan form a chevy Camaro on it. I used a after market tempture switch and relay.

It been on the car for three years with no prolbem.

Djamal

one

solution is to remove the thermostast

which is a realhalf assed way to get around it but it seemed to work from a post i saw

one thing to ask also

is it happening when in stop and go city driving ?

and also when it is overheating is the fan running at full speed at the same time?

i would say it is more to do with the fan then

as the highway driving raises the temp to about 12000 degrees for exhaust gases

hile driving is about 8000

so once you get off and there is no more air flow the car will over heat if the fan is not working properly

you should check the actuator for the fan speed