About To Buy 1999 Rx300

jlimquest

I'm about to buy a 1999 RX300 with 87000 miles for $12K (which I thought was a good buy per KBB). It is 2WD & has been dealer maintained every 5K miles. However, after reviewing a lot of transmission issue comments (etc) in this forum I am now having second thoughts. Am I doomed???? :( :(

I plan to see the car this weekend & would appreciate any advice on what to look or watch out for. I know that it will be due a 90K maint. soon & the timing belt needs to be changed.

Thanks ALL!!!

I'm about to buy a 1999 RX300 with 87000 miles for $12K (which I thought was a good buy per KBB). It is 2WD & has been dealer maintained every 5K miles. However, after reviewing a lot of transmission issue comments (etc) in this forum I am now having second thoughts. Am I doomed???? :( :(

I plan to see the car this weekend & would appreciate any advice on what to look or watch out for. I know that it will be due a 90K maint. soon & the timing belt needs to be changed.

Thanks ALL!!!

My 99 2WD is going strong at 117, - and I also seem to sense the tranny issues are more of a 4WD concern - but I listen to mine very closely - no concerns at this point. Change the oil frequently and you'll avoid any sludge issues. My sense (non scientific) is that the engine runs very hot and the oil breaks down faster. I shoot for 3k change, sometimes slip to 4k but try hard not to let go to 5k. If price is important to you, consider investigating a Toyota dealer to do the 90k service - it's the big one.

Just echoing the previous post, the trans issue does seem to be primarily with AWD but I don't think it can be said to be exclusively so. Another member brought the point recently that because there are compariively few 2wd models vs Awd that may account for the lack of failures reported. Just food for thought. As for sludging, if you can determine that theres no sludging up to this point you'll be fine. Using synthetic oil will keep that problem at bay just fine. These engines run really hot (as their normal temp) and thats really hard on dino-oil. The problem was fixed somewhat in later models I believe by increasing the oil flow (I may be wrong on exactly how) but that didn't change the amount of heat generated and there were still sludging problems into 03 with people who use dino-oil and want to go al lot of miles between oil changes.

look out for the color of the transmission fluid and stuff. If the mechanic says all things are normal than i see no reason why not to buy it.

for your comparision, i used to own a 99' rx300 AWD. Drove it all the way up to 90K before the lease was up. Back in those days, i didnt have the forum to tell me what was going to happen...to my AWD...and i thought everything was just dandy...and IT WAS! no transmission failures, no sludging. It was one of the best cars i have every owned...and i got it serviced at lexus per 5K like i was advised to.

So...to sum up, if your previous owner serviced it at lexus till now, it should be fine and a great buy

no your not doomed!

Thanks for the quick replies. I called Lexus of Glendale (where the car has historically been serviced) & scheduled a complete vehicle inspection ($230) prior to purchase. What items should I watch out for???

so is this car is being sold at glendale? is it a CPO car? or will there be some sort of 3rd party warranty included in the sale?

your chances are better with a dealer-serviced car, but still...

No this is a privately owned car. However, ever since it was bought by the owner it has been serviced by Glendale Lexus every 5K miles. No extended warranty included that is why I'll have it inspected to make sure.....I hope.

Thanks for the quick replies. I called Lexus of Glendale (where the car has historically been serviced) & scheduled a complete vehicle inspection ($230) prior to purchase. What items should I watch out for???

so is this car is being sold at glendale? is it a CPO car? or will there be some sort of 3rd party warranty included in the sale?

your chances are better with a dealer-serviced car, but still...

I would tend to be very leary of it if it is a 1999. I believe many issues are on the first year models. I personally have lost two transmissions. As many have said the car is generally very reliable, but the Transmisson issue makes it a real negative at the tune of $4300 for the repair. I suggest the Accura MDX or The Toyota Forerunner. Both have many attributes. At least Honda/Accura stood behind their Transmisson issues. Good luck.