Transmission "whine"

lajkonik

My 2004 RX330 has had all the latest transmission software updates, but to no avail the gearbox still hesitates at low speeds and when it engages it does so with a pronounced ‘thud’. And now the transmission has developed a ‘whining’ noise at the start of gear engagement that lasts for a few seconds and the goes away. The ‘whining’ is most noticeable during ‘stop-and-go’ road conditions (traffic jams). The ‘whine’ also is appears when I take my foot of the accelerator.

I have demonstrated this gearbox ‘whine’ to the Service Manager at the dealership, who had no answer and is going to check with Lexus Service to find out what could be causing it and what the corrective action is.

Has anybody experienced similar symptoms?

My 2004 RX330 has had all the latest transmission software updates, but to no avail the gearbox still hesitates at low speeds and when it engages it does so with a pronounced ‘thud’. And now the transmission has developed a ‘whining’ noise at the start of gear engagement that lasts for a few seconds and the goes away. The ‘whining’ is most noticeable during ‘stop-and-go’ road conditions (traffic jams). The ‘whine’ also is appears when I take my foot of the accelerator.

I have demonstrated this gearbox ‘whine’ to the Service Manager at the dealership, who had no answer and is going to check with Lexus Service to find out what could be causing it and what the corrective action is.

Yes I have the thump! It is not loud and is like the tranny is changing. I do not have any whine that I have noticed. The dealership told me that the thump was normal :blink: Whatever...it as you said it only does so at low speeds and I have kind of got used to it. My next oil change is close so I am going to say something about it again...we shall see...how many miles are on your RX????????

Yes I have the thump! It is not loud and is like the tranny is changing. I do not have any whine that I have noticed. The dealership told me that the thump was normal :blink: Whatever...it as you said it only does so at low speeds and I have kind of got used to it. My next oil change is close so I am going to say something about it again...we shall see...how many miles are on your RX????????

I only have 28,500 km (approx. 17,812 miles)

I have both the whine and thump in my 94 ES300 with a somewhat failed transmission , it is the same one as the RX .

It picks up more noise with rpms and sounds liek metal gears lashing from excessive movement. I am not sure if it is a lack of lubrication situation or what .

• 3 months later...

The "whine" means that you are about to lose your transmission due to the front planetary assembly. Same thing happened to mine. The engine started to whine...then jerk...then stopped during rush hour traffic in Jacksonville as I was going to see my mother in the hospital in GA.