Ot: Considering Buying 1999 Rx300

AzHotLS

SORRY!! That should read 1999 RX300.

I know this is a bit off topic and I'll go to the RX300 forum to ask there, but are there any RX300 owners here that can give me some things to consider on a 1999 RX300?

My wife saw the RX300 parked outside our bank, it has 84,000 miles on it, has just about all the extras and looks to be in very good condition on the outside, white/tan. Iterior looks nice as well, tan leather. It has Ohio plates on it expiring in 03/07. They're asking $13,250 USD.

I haven't talked to the owner yet but will call him to take it for a spin. Knowing what I know about my 90 LS400 should help me know what to look for but I hoped some of you had opinion. It has been detailed so I imagine the engine has been done as well so that can hide leaks.

I look forward to your replies.

As I have a 90 LS400, I posted over there as well, sorry for the duplicate post.

My wife saw a 1999 RX300 AWD parked outside our bank, it has 84,000 miles on it, has just about all the extras and looks to be in very good condition on the outside and underneath, white/tan. Iterior looks nice as well, tan leather. It has Ohio plates on it expiring in 03/07. They're asking $13,250 USD.

It has been detailed so I imagine the engine has been done as well so that can hide leaks. If I do decide to buy it, I'm going to take it to my mechanic to have them look it over ($40USD - not bad).

I haven't talked to the owner yet but will call him to take it for a test drive. Knowing what I know about my 90 LS400 (2 yrs experience) should help me know what to look for but I hoped some of you could give me your opinions.

I look forward to your replies.

- needs dealer service records, or at least proof of regular oil changes/service intervals.

- valve cover needs to be pulled to see how much sludge is in there, if any. if you don't know about the sludge problem, do a search... it's potentially a fatal problem for these engines.

- transmission fluid needs to be checked. a lot of owners here have had theirs fail regardless of mileage... i think it's a $5k replacement :o

Thanks SK. Ot should have been OT (off topic) since I posted it in the LS400-430 forum. Now that you moved it and merged it with this one, you can remove the "Ot:". Thanks.

I took it for a test drive this morning. Drives nice untill you get to 75mph, then it has a vibration. Tires look worn on the outside edge. Could be just the tires, hoping its not a suspension or strut problem. No vibrations are introduced when braking so the suspension should be okay.

Emotions kicking in.... it is a nice looking car and definitely a step up from our 98 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE with 125K miles. But reading the other posts has me concerned about the transmission. Thanks for the vote of confidence SK. I will have my mechanic inspect it and make final decision after that.

It has a bumper scrape on the passenger side corner like they rubbed a wall. The driver side window switches are broken, you can get them to work but with much fidling. I replaced one on my LS so I know I can a new (from wrecking yard) switch to replace it. A few other interior trim pieces are missing but they can be replaced as well. I think I will offer $12K for it. Is that a fair reduction from their asking price?

Well, after reading more threads similar to my subject, I've decided to let the emotions not get the best of me and have passed on the car. Had it been a 2WD, not a AWD, I may have been more inclined to get it.

This forum is SUPER!!!

Well, after reading more threads similar to my subject, I've decided to let the emotions not get the best of me and have passed on the car. Had it been a 2WD, not a AWD, I may have been more inclined to get it.

This forum is SUPER!!!

Better safe than sorry I suppose, I've got a 00 RX and luckily its been fine so far but I would definitely have to think hard about getting another 99-00. Point here is that you should be getting into the area of the 01-02s being pretty affordable. If you really like the car, which I do, those years are much less prone to either of these maladies (sludging or tranny failure).

you should be getting into the area of the 01-02s being pretty affordable. If you really like the car, which I do, those years are much less prone to either of these maladies (sludging or tranny failure).
Yes, my wife really likes the RX. I'm just praying that the van will hold on for a little while longer until the 01-02s come down to $12K.

• 2 months later...

I have a 1999 with 155K on it. No transmission problems at all and I drive it off road in Northern Minnesota and also tow with it. Heaviest tow was just shy of 3,500 lbs. Drive through 5-7 inches of standing water and mud towing ATV's on a trailer. It has probably been the filthiest Lexus in Minnesota on more than one occasion. Problems that I have experienced: fuel injector gone bad and sticky rear hatch door. I also routinly carry a boat on the top of the vehicle and I cruise at 80 going up north (cops give you an extra 10, and, if pulled over, only a fine it doesn't go on your record). I can't say anything bad about the vehicle. All maintainence up to date, change oil every 5k.

Pat