Hi guys, I'm new to this forum

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Can somebody please explain to me the purpose of claying the car? Also, would cleaning then waxing the car be enough? And how do you clean the car after every trip or after a ride in the rain? Can I just remove the bugs and grimes using a liquid wax? I appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding these many questions.

Welcome!

The first thing you should do is read the information thats posted up at the top of this forum, and read some of the tutorials at www.autopia.org. That will give you a pretty good framework of the process we're talking about here.

Can somebody please explain to me the purpose of claying the car?

Claying removes bonded contaminents (overspray, tar, bugs, rail dust) and restores the glass like smoothness to the paint. I always reccomend that people clay new cars as soon as they can (it may or ma not have been done by the dealer). The reason being cars travel accross the country at least partially by train, rail dust can contaminate the paint of a new car and the only way to remove it is clay. If its not removed it will rust and create irremovable spotting in the paint of a light colored car.

Also, would cleaning then waxing the car be enough?

It depends on your goal. If you goal is to make the paint as sharp as it can be, then no. If your goal is just to add some slickness and protection, then kinda as long as you do it often. Really I think the bare minimum car care reginen should be a clay/wax every 6 months and a wash every other week.

And how do you clean the car after every trip or after a ride in the rain? Can I just remove the bugs and grimes using a liquid wax?

as you're reading you should focus on washing technique, quick detailing, andf polishing & waxing. Wax is used to protect the finish after cleaning and polishing, its not used to clean anything (and pure waxes wont).

ISme: A newbie with basic questions ?! Your got lucky... SW03ES usually just yells at us for not doing a Search. :chairshot: Kidding of course, the Search feature will be your best friend. I've spent hours looking at stuff. Amazing the stuff you can learn. Welcome to LOC. Geo

You guys are all great! I hope you don't mind if I need some clarification... What should I do after each trip or a ride in the rain? Leave my car alone until the next weekly/every-2-week wash or spot clean it with a wet towel to get rid of bugs/tar/soil? Also, what's the best way to remove the brake dust which seems to be particularly excessive on the IS front wheels? Currently, I wax the wheels after washing the car and clean them with a glass cleaner after every trip. Thx!

Unless you're going to wash it, I'd leave it alone. Wiping the car off with a wet towel is going to get you all kinds of scratching and marring.

You also shouldn't use glass cleaner on painted surfaces (the wheels). What you want is a quick detail spray.

Great thanks! I've been trying to read all the postings that interest me in this forum, but I didn't see whether anybody talked about the excessive brake dust on the IS front wheels (?) Anybody got any tips on how to reduce it?

Great thanks! I've been trying to read all the postings that interest me in this forum, but I didn't see whether anybody talked about the excessive brake dust on the IS front wheels (?) Anybody got any tips on how to reduce it?

The only way would be to upgrade to more expensive creamic pads, whether its worth it or not to you do that is another story.

• 3 weeks later...

The brake dust is a huge pain, but I've seen folks say nice things about Wheel Wax. Applied like a wax to your car, it's specifically designed for wheels. The advantage is purportedly that the brake dust and other contaminants won't stick as well. I recently ordered some, but haven't received it yet. I'll let you know how it works. It seems like I've got more of a problem with what looks like tar sticking to the wheels, which is much more difficult to remove than brake dust. I'm hoping that the wheel wax will help with that too.

I know you're hoping to reduce the dust, but easy cleanup is the next best deal, I think.