Changing Brake Pads.

RedLexusSC400

I know my brake pads are below 1/32" and my brake light comes on almost everytime I brake, and half the time I accelerate. They just started squealing so it's that time. First of all, I found OEM brake pads and front and rear shims for my SC400 for $190. That includes shipping. Should I go with OEM and is this a good price? I am also wondering if I even need to go with the shims. I've put about 50k on my car without touching the brakes. But I've never had any squealing or anything until recently. I did have to turn my rotors when I bought the car at 100k, do you recommend turning them again while they're off? Or should I not since they have been already. I know I'm asking a lot, so thanks in advance for any help!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

You don't show what year your car is, either in your post or in your profile. It's always good to have this information.

I would say $190.00 is not a bad price for OEM pads and shims. On my 93 LS, the pads cost a bit over $100.00, and the shims are another $75.00 (approximately).

Why would you want to replace the shims? Are they missing? I have always reused the shims.

If you are having shaking in the steering wheel and car body when you apply the brakes, then the rotors would need to be turned. If you are not feeling this, don't do it.

The brake light coming on is not good. When this happens on an LS such as mine, it indicates that a brake pad wear sensor has been tripped because it is rubbing against the rotor. These sensors are very expensive to replace. I have no idea whether or not this applies to a SC model. Maybe your fluid level is low because of the pad wear.

just wondering, why are the pads so much $$$?

The prices I quoted were from www.newlexusparts.com. I don't think you will find anyone who will sell OEM Lexus parts cheaper, and they pay shipping.

The pad prices are certainly higher than you will pay for non-oem pads; however, brake pads is one of the few things that I think use of OEM is important.

What really irks me is the price of the shim kits. These things are eight pieces of very thin metal. The Lexus profit margin on these must be astronomical.

The prices I quoted were from www.newlexusparts.com. I don't think you will find anyone who will sell OEM Lexus parts cheaper, and they pay shipping.

The pad prices are certainly higher than you will pay for non-oem pads; however, brake pads is one of the few things that I think use of OEM is important.

What really irks me is the price of the shim kits. These things are eight pieces of very thin metal. The Lexus profit margin on these must be astronomical.

Just wondered since my ES pads from them are much cheaper.

I agree on the shim kit price, Way overpriced, But you need them and lexus has one there. <_<

I also agree that replacing the shims is likely not necessary. I bought the expensive shim kit when I did a front brake job on my previous LS and I found that the original shims were in perfect condition -- I replaced them anyway but it was a waste of money.

An indie Lexus repair shop did the first brake job on my current LS a few months ago -- he doesn't replace the shims either.

The rear brake pads have lasted about twice as long as the front pads on most the cars I've owned. I think I replaced the original rear pads on my 1st LS at somewhere over 125K miles.

The indie repair shop I mentioned often is able to reuse the sensors even if the brake light has already started to come on. The mechanic told me that he had to replace the sensor this last time because it was to far gone. I should have looked at the defective sensor to see if I could have repaired it. The brake pad sensors on a Mercedes I owned could be repaired by coating the electrode with a conconductive paint -- even a few coats of fingernail polish would work.