Result Of Mods To Sc400

Any Toyota 5 lug rim with the sizes of 16's, 17's, 18's or even 19's will fit....You should not be having these problems, just about any rim will fit on these cars.... You can find rims on Ebay, recycler.com used, maybe craigs list or buy new at most tire shops...

Good luck, maybe even you could find some on the forums.... I got my 18" Allessio Italian rims at a local tire shop...All 4 for $400....With tires $800.... They were on sale and I got lucky....

• 1 month later...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I don't know what kind of differential replacement you have in mind...If your shooting for a limited slip differential replacement you would will want the LSD out of a 93-98 Supra TT (automatic transmission only)... That bolts right up like stock with no modifications needed.. I would look at all the import wreck yards near you or even on line to find one... Check Ebay too...

If you just want to replace your stock one with another identical one look into all the wrecking yards or on Ebay and you will find one...I even got my original stock one sitting in my yard if you want it for a benny..

Hope that helps and good luck...

Hey Jibby-first i just want to say thanks for posting this topic and answering questions, it's awesome, its been a big help for me! I have a question about upping the tranny line pressure. How do you do this? Is it really worth it? Have you noticed any downsides besides the hard shift from drive to park? Sorry if you have answered this question before, but i have read threw most of this topic and i can't find anything on it.

This thread never dies...Amazing...

Well as far as upping the tranny line pressure goes...

Upsides - Crispier shifts, reduced slippage between shifting which helps preserve the life of the tranny, performs slightly better...

Downsides - When shifting from gears reverse to drive to park from a stand still there will be a clunk...

It's good for the tranny, a little plus for performance, not so good for the luxury feel when shifting..It's just a little more crisp between shifts...Not a real big deal...

Most import transmission shops can up the line pressure for you for maybe a hundred dollars or so...There is also a write up on how to do it at Lextreme.com forums...

Troy - For an SC300 I would start with reworking the entire exhaust to hi flow...Change the mufflers, cats, and piping, headers too if you really want to get into it.. The stock exhaust is very restrictive...

Then go with the BFI intake...It's free and works wonderfully on any SC... planetsoaror.com has the BFI intake design which illustrates for you how to rework your stock intake to high flow..

You can do both for not too much money... That will give you some topend power for sure...

Next the torque converter....

Dilla not problem.......

Troy - For an SC300 I would start with reworking the entire exhaust to hi flow...Change the mufflers, cats, and piping, headers too if you really want to get into it.. The stock exhaust is very restrictive...

Then go with the BFI intake...It's free and works wonderfully on any SC... planetsoaror.com has the BFI intake design which illustrates for you how to rework your stock intake to high flow..

You can do both for not too much money... That will give you some topend power for sure...

Next the torque converter....

Dilla not problem.......

Sounds great! Do you have any suggestions as far as brands/ models go? I'm pretty new to all this though I have been doing a little reading.

I am not an expert on the SC300 mods...Only the SC400's... Clublexus.com is a forum that really dictates mods for SC300's...Get on that and use the search function and look up exhaust mods..That should give you more then enough info for mod'ing you SC3...

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I would drag up this old thread to help some folks out... I've been asked many performance questions, so this thread covers it all...

A quick story - Just a week ago I had a head to head race against a brand new Z06 500hhp Corvette... Too my amazement I was able to stay with this powerful and extremely fast Vette 0-50mph and then the Vette pulled away... I had recently upgraded my rear tires to soft semi-drag radials and wow that makes a difference in off the line traction.. Before the tire upgrade I was hard pressed to stay with a standard Vette.. Even though I lost the race to me it was still a moral victory... To think my old 1992 SC400 could hang with a Z06 up to 50mph was very satisfying to me to say the least... I wish I could have won, but my top gears and heavier car was just not up for the task even with the 150 nitrous shot in full effect...

Story over... Those Z06 Vette's are one of the fastest street rides around as far as I'm concerned...That baby can fly 0-100mph...I was impressed with that cars continued excelleration from 50-100mph.... It just pulls and pulls and pulls with no let off what so ever...

Bottom line - traction in races is everything, all the power in the world is useless unless you can keep those rears from spinning out...

Has anyone Tried to use a 99+ intake manfiold the new style on there older sc400? or are there any aftermarket intake manifolds? Just wondering

Also im supirised these cars are low on whp. I had a all motor 2jzge 1993.5 automatic/manu mode mkiv supra and dynoed 222rwhp and 241fts of tq with a bunch of custom fabricating bolts ont stock ecu etc etc .....

Wrong fit on the 99 intake manifold...Good thinking anyway...

Yeah, the SC's are all basically low on HP's and fairly slow in comparison to let's say the Nissan 350z's... I just happen to have a stock time table sheet in front of me...Check this...

1993 SC400 0-60mph 6.9 sec @ 15.3 quarter mile time

1995 SC400 6.7 sec @ 15.2

1998 SC400 6.3 sec @ 14.7

2002 SC430 6.2 sec @ 14.6

2003 Nissan 350Z 5.4 sec 14.1

2004 Nissan 350Z 5.3 sec. 13.77

2003 Infinity G35 6.2 sec 14.7

Sorry people stock SC Lexus's just aren't all that fast... Change the Torque converter stall rates and they can hang much better with Nissan's..

I also have approx..maximum WHP horsepower capacity for the SC's since I am on a roll...

1uz-fe SC400 engines...

1992-1994 - 500whp - but these earlier motors still might be able to handle a bit more power...

1995-1998 - 375whp - many fail right around that mark...

SC400 auto trannies....

1992-1998 Approx. 400whp with tranny cooler... Many fail right around the 400whp mark...2nd gear gives up the ghost...

If you guys are wondering why the newer engines hold less power before failing is because Toyota made weaker rods in the 95 and newer engines.. Don't ask me why... These are all approx. numbers on holding capacity... Each engine and tranny can vary some depending on the engine tune, miles, etc...

For those that don't know the difference, WHP is not the same as HP or BHP...

WHP - Is the power that is delivered to the rear wheels....

HP or BHP - Is the power that is being delivered the engine crank...

So maybe 200whp is more like 260bhp and or 260hp for those that don't know this... Something close to those comparisons...

Yo Jibby, I just wanted to drop in and subscribe to your thread. It took me 2 weeks to read up on it!!! Nice job my brother from another mother!!!!! LOL! You and I have much in common!! I am in the beginning throws of a thread like this for the IS 300 forum.

I have a secret project that I might want to talk to you about. I'll pm you the details and explain. I think you will find it very intrigueing !!!!

I'm in the middle of my installing my turbo system. So I might not be around that much over the next few days, so I'll be sure to catch up with you afterwards. Cool?

• 2 weeks later...
Smoothe I am pretty impressed with your old project....It's scary to think what your new project might be..:cheers:

Thanks Jibby.

Well, as I'm sure you know, I'm looking into drivetrain upgrades now. Any suggestions? Or lines on parts?

• 1 month later...

Well, the last time we talked you popped yuor tranny. So I was just checking in to see if you fixed it, and how and just a general "was up!!!"

Anything I can do to lend a hand?

Smoothe, sorry I did not respond to your question. I never checked this thread until now.....

I just installed another stock tranny last week.... It now runs like new again...

It's amazing how cheap stuff is for these early model SC400's used... I was able to pick up a used 93 SC400 tranny from a friend for $300. I also found them for around the same price at used junk yards, Ebay, etc......Anyway, I slapped it in the same day and it runs fantastic...The tranny itself weighed about 75 pounds and fit easily in the trunk of the Camery I rented.. Just like that, no biggie..The swap was a sinch.. Not complicated at all.... I also found replacement 1uz-fe motors at the yards also for around $500 or less complete.. Let's just say I am not afraid to break or blow up anything up on this car of mine as it is dirt cheap to replace just about anything used... Go to the dealership for the same parts and it is a different story..

I forgot how smoothe the lexus trannies shift and operate in stock form... I've been driving for over a year with upped line pressure and a built tranny... There is a difference...

I must now tone down my Nitrous output some so I don't blow this tranny and install a tranny cooler... This Lexus tranny is a temporary fix just to keep the car on the road until I find a suitable tranny swap that can comfortably hold over 500whp and 700 torque... It is all in the works...

For those SC400 owners with tranny trouble, all 92-94 SC400 trannies are the same and are swapable without any alterations... Those year trannies are identical in every way...In 1995 there is a change....Just a little info to share...

For starters I wouldn't go for more then a 100hp nitrous system...With that or less things should not break...

The nos system and installation...

1) The bottle is mounted in the trunk and the feeds need to be routed to the engine bay... You have a Nos line and electric wires...

2) The control box is then mounted in the center counsel... Again, wires and mounting..

3) There is an nitrous activating pedal button that needs to be mounted underneathe the gas pedal..

4) Lastly you will need to mount the Nitous cyliniods near the throttle body and feed the output Nitrous line directly into the throttle body...

That's it, there is work involved...I had mine installed for $1500 4 years ago by a professional...Back then I just had the pro's do it to avoid any problems...

5) There are two other additions that will need to be made...1) installation of a walbro electric fuel pump to increase fuel output during a nitrous run...Stock fuel pumps are abit weak... 2) An ECU piggy back to enrichen the fuel mix to accomadate the nitrous... Not necessary on 75-100shot as you could run the nitrous off the stock ECU...150 shot.you will need to change the fuel ratios some..

The way the system works: The pressurized nitrous bottle is activatived by the control box in your center counsel... You hit the button and the green light is on... You can still drive normally put when you floor it only then is the nitrous activated...That's what the mounted lever or button does that is mounted on the floor board directly underneathe the gas pedal... So when the gas pedal is completely depressed it hits the button and opens the nitrous... Hope you got all that....

Yeah im only gonna be looking for the 75 shot(just to have fun once in a while) and im not looking at destroying the tranny anytime soon cause its a daily driver. But thank you very much for the great info. Sorry but i have a couple more q's. you went with the s&s headers (correct me if im wrong but) from what i understand they do not come with a place to bolt on the egr valve. So did you get the delete kit from lextreme? if so can you still smog ur car in ca?

75 shot would be conservatively safe... No need for fuel pump either...

Now the S&S headers - I had the EGR deletion kit from Lextreme and elected not to use it...I was able to keep the EGR intact with the S&S headers... The exhaust shop made that happen as well as custom making the down pipes needed to accomadate the S&S headers to fit the rest of the exhaust system... Keeping the EGR system intact is very simple for any exhaust shop, just need a welder to weld the EGR valve onto the down pipes right after the header...

In my opinion the S&S headers are a good set of headers, just not fitment friendly to the SC400's... I would look for a direct bolt on header if possible... Look at the EKtuning.com headers if they are still in business...Those looked like the perfect header for the SC400...

If you go with the long tubes, you might have clearance issues if you have the suspension dropped also. So just be careful of that.

And out of curiosity, did you stay with the EGR valve because of the maps in the ECU? I know your using the piggyback ECU and not a stand alone, so I was just wondering.