Need Some Assurance

I just purchased a SC400 in california with the following defects:

Cracked AC bezel, center console, right side.

Clear coat -or- Paint crazing on right front nacelle lip horizontal surface.

Minor key marks on Trunk lid key operating region.

Glazed/light fogged headlamp lenses.

It is a one owner vehicle, has all the service records, ( very complete ), had the 90,000 mile service ( $1300), had the brake master cylinder replaced and the A/C compressor replaced.

Received over 70 photos of the car, and the owners seems to be a straight shooter.

The price of the car is around the rigth price based on NADA.com and KBB.com and the 'little black book'

Not having driven it, freaks me out to no end.

Any advice? Anyone had an internet auto purchase experience they would like to relate?

Pete

:chairshot:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I just purchased a SC400 in california with the following defects:

Cracked AC bezel, center console, right side.

Clear coat -or- Paint crazing on right front nacelle lip horizontal surface.

Minor key marks on Trunk lid key operating region.

Glazed/light fogged headlamp lenses.

It is a one owner vehicle, has all the service records, ( very complete ), had the 90,000 mile service ( $1300), had the brake master cylinder replaced and the A/C compressor replaced.

Received over 70 photos of the car, and the owners seems to be a straight shooter.

The price of the car is around the rigth price based on NADA.com and KBB.com and the 'little black book'

Not having driven it, freaks me out to no end.

Any advice? Anyone had an internet auto purchase experience they would like to relate?

Pete

:chairshot:

Well did you already buy it or simply thinking about it? Big diff no??

:wacko:

It seems we do not quite understand what you are trying to relate. Did you buy it unseen and undriven and then realize the listed problems and are unsatisfied? Did you buy it with the known problem and accepted them and are now wondering if you got a good deal?

A little clarification would help.

:whistles:

bought my 93 off of ebay for 3300.00 with 133,000 miles on it. car was never serviced and needed alot of parts, timing belt, complete tuneup, water pump power steering pump, alternator, AC compressor, AC,AC hoses, dryer ,AC accumulator, power steering hoses, steering wheel, leather shifter, control arm busshings, paint repair, new rims, new climate control(lights burn't out) , power antenna, interior door skins, sunload sensor, intierior amb. air sensor, broken tilt wheel, CD player in trunk missing. bad trunk shocks, bad rear light wiring, and dirty interior. I am going to be over 9k in repairs when completly done still have to get control arm bushings in and car is in currently in paint shop.

Car expensive to repair but now rides like new. and when done everything will function and perform like new. considering how much a new lexus cost-Im ahead of the game. no 500-1000 a month car payments I own it

Well it sounds a little on the high side for a '96 with 96K. I can kind of relate, as I just bought a '95 SC from an out of state dealer, the car was found on the internet. Its a beautiful 95 with 86K, red, nak, not a scratch on it, the drivers seat has slight wear in the usual place, but the rest of the interior is well above average. I was able to pick up the car personally as it was only about a 2 hour drive , Even less on the way back :) , so i was able to drive it before i signed the papers. But I picked it up for $10k and that was from a dealer in WI. Im quite experinced in buying cars and I only look at the black book, for most cars I would only pay rough - average. The SC commands a bit more $$$ than your typical car but I wouldnt go a penny above Clean in the Black Book. The biggest mistake is overclassification, lots of people do it, dealers do too, and they often have to bite the bullet when they do. As far as your car goes, it doesnt seem to have too much wrong with it, but you always want to factor that into the price for the car.