Pulled Seats And Carpet

Gunnut

I bought my 94 LS about 6 weeks ago. The car is great. Only issue has been the cigarette odor in the interior. Today I took some steps to help that.

I pulled my seats and the carpet. I sprayed the carpet with commercial carpet cleaner (the type you use on your home carpet), power washed it clean, then repeated the process, this time using Simple Green. I have the carpet hanging on the clothesline now drying out. I'll wait a few days before re-install it. After pulling the rear seats, I found about $3 in change, some costume jewelry, one Cheerio and a plastic dinosaur. SCORE!

Next is the seats. I did the scrubdown with the Woolite solution. I'll take some Lexol to them tomorrow after they have had ample time to dry out.

I have about a week to do all of this as I have my mother's car while she is on vacation. I'd really like to re-dye the seats while they are out of the car, but that'll have to wait for another day.

I'll spray the headliner with Febreeze to help with the odor. I'm even thinking of running the air and spraying some Febreeze into the plenum where the cabin filters go, since I have access to it right now.

Anybody have any other suggestions while I have the interior apart?

JimA

I found about $3 in change, some costume jewelry, one Cheerio and a plastic dinosaur. SCORE!

What sort of dinosaur was it?

Seriously now, have you gotten it back together and smelling sweet yet?

It is an orange T-Rex.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance. I might even replace the army man (paratrooper) I have hanging from the rear view mirror with it.

The carpet is STILL drying out. The carpet itself is dry but there is still some water in the foam padding on the back side. We are getting some warm dry weather this week so it should be good to go by Friday evening. I'll put it back together then. I really don't have a choice. I need the car for work next week and my mother will need her's back when she returns from vacation.

JimA

It is an orange T-Rex. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Cool, looking forward to it.

The carpet itself is dry but there is still some water in the foam padding on the back side. We are getting some warm dry weather this week so it should be good to go by Friday evening. I'll put it back together then. I really don't have a choice. I need the car for work next week and my mother will need her's back when she returns from vacation.

JimA

Put it back in damp and you will be surprised how much more it will stink than when it just had cigarette smoke on it! Get some towels out of the linen closet and mash them against the foam, then put them in the laundry for your mother when she gets back!!

Actually don't.

Anybody have any other suggestions while I have the interior apart?
If you are considering any kind of audio upgrades, cell phone, etc. now is the best time to do them. Other than that, I hear that cleaning the windows really well helps with chasing a smoke smell out. ;)
then put them in the laundry for your mother when she gets back!!

Actually don't.

LOL :lol:

Get some towels out of the linen closet and mash them against the foam, then put them in the laundry for your mother when she gets back!!

Actually don't.

These would be towels out of my own linen closet. My mother lives about 15 miles away.

JimA

I put the interior back together tonight. I only ended up with two extra screws. For the life of me I don't know where they go. It had to be somewhere in the console. It is the only part that had screws in the dissassembly.

The car looks great now. The carpet has no stains that are visible and the seats are much cleaner.

I bought a new set of floormats as well. If anybody needs a set of front mats you can have my old set for shipping. They aren't in bad shape and should clean up nicely.

JimA