98 Es300 Trans

ok tranny went on the ES grinding noise from pan...dropped pan i had all sorts of metal shaving pyramids on magnets...anyway not to long before i had changed fluid and screen... ow im told that synthetic fluid should have been used.....is this true? and could regular atf have caused this? this car is a 98 es 300

just picked up a low mileage 97 trans...going to put this in....what fluid needs to be put in ?and when all is said and done does anyone recommend a trans flush...maybe with a BG product? also being the shavi ng did a number whats the best way to flush out the trans cooler? thanks

ok tranny went on the ES grinding noise from pan...dropped pan i had all sorts of metal shaving pyramids on magnets...anyway not to long before i had changed fluid and screen... ow im told that synthetic fluid should have been used.....is this true? and could regular atf have caused this? this car is a 98 es 300

just picked up a low mileage 97 trans...going to put this in....what fluid needs to be put in ?and when all is said and done does anyone recommend a trans flush...maybe with a BG product? also being the shavi ng did a number whats the best way to flush out the trans cooler? thanks

For the life of me, I can't remember if it's the 98 or 99 that needs Toyota type IV ATF (correct me gents if I am wrong but the 97 takes Dexron III?). :unsure: If that's the case, go with a synthetic ATF......but if it's Toyota type IV, use only that......and do a few flushes to get the bad stuff completely out of the system........many are on the fence with the T-Tech tranny flushing machines. B)

:cheers:

98 uses normal DexIII

Thanks mburn.....so it was the 99 MY that started using the Toyota type IV fluid....well I was close. :whistles:

Impala, go nuts with the synthetic tranny fluid then lol. B) I would suggest you replace both the tranny pan & plug gaskets however........If memory serves, I have an extra plug gasket around I can send you (my treat!) It should be the same size as the 98 as it was for my 01 ES. I also have several oil plug gaskets for the ES too.

I also have a pair of Stealth bulbs (compliments of my good friend steviej) model # 7440 which I could not use because of the type of tail lamps I had on my 01 ES......they will also fit your 98 (which have different lenses so they should work quite nicely). They are also yours if you want them........all no charge.

If your interested, PM me your mailing address I will be happy to send them to ya. :)

:cheers:

A541-E uses Dex III

U150-E uses TT-IV

The swap over was on the 99 es/Camry/RX/Highlander etc. So no, your car should not be specified for TT-IV. (Or any other TT fluid for that matter).

I will say that Toyota/Lexus has a history of swapping the parts bin over early & not *really* telling anybody about it. If that is the case then late model year of '98's could have a U151. I can't tell u exactly when, but based on history of how they do things - probably october/november/december.

If you're just curious, you can just look up your chassie code on the internet & see when production of your car was finished.

Yes, using the wrong fluid can do that. Each ATF has it's own coeffecient of friction. Which will cause the clutches & brakes to grab harder, or slip more compaired to others.

All that aside, if you put dex III in it - you did what you were suppose too. Whoever told you that you have to use synthetic fluid is a moron. (But ya, you should always use synthetic ATF if you can help it. It lasts longer, runs better, and can withstand more temperature before braking down - everything you need in a transmission!).

A541-E uses Dex III

U150-E uses TT-IV

The swap over was on the 99 es/Camry/RX/Highlander etc. So no, your car should not be specified for TT-IV. (Or any other TT fluid for that matter).

I will say that Toyota/Lexus has a history of swapping the parts bin over early & not *really* telling anybody about it. If that is the case then late model year of '98's could have a U151. I can't tell u exactly when, but based on history of how they do things - probably october/november/december.

If you're just curious, you can just look up your chassie code on the internet & see when production of your car was finished.

Yes, using the wrong fluid can do that. Each ATF has it's own coeffecient of friction. Which will cause the clutches & brakes to grab harder, or slip more compaired to others.

All that aside, if you put dex III in it - you did what you were suppose too. Whoever told you that you have to use synthetic fluid is a moron. (But ya, you should always use synthetic ATF if you can help it. It lasts longer, runs better, and can withstand more temperature before braking down - everything you need in a transmission!).

i just want to say thanks to all who responded...the friggin dealer and a wanna be dealer said that the car took synthetic fluid...after seeing the post that you guys wrote i checked into it again...both dipsticks on the 98 trans and the 97 say dexron II for the 97 and dexron II-III for the 98...anyway...i was asking because i didnt want to go through another tranny because of a fluid problem...why this 98 trans failed is beyond me hey its a low mileage car in perfect condition..got it from a friend of mine for 4 grand...anyway ill be putting the low mileage 97 trans in the 98 car this weekend ..then have it flushed and be done with it.....again thanks ..for the responses...p.s. the car has a a541e trans and the car came out in may of 98....LEXUSFREAK...thatnks for the offer on the bulbs and the tail lamps...but the wife doesnt want any changes on the car...so...to save my ears..and !Removed! i have to decline...but i do say THANKS

again thanks guys Eddie

i just want to say thanks to all who responded...the friggin dealer and a wanna be dealer said that the car took synthetic fluid...after seeing the post that you guys wrote i checked into it again...both dipsticks on the 98 trans and the 97 say dexron II for the 97 and dexron II-III for the 98...anyway...i was asking because i didnt want to go through another tranny because of a fluid problem...why this 98 trans failed is beyond me hey its a low mileage car in perfect condition..got it from a friend of mine for 4 grand...anyway ill be putting the low mileage 97 trans in the 98 car this weekend ..then have it flushed and be done with it.....again thanks ..for the responses...p.s. the car has a a541e trans and the car came out in may of 98....LEXUSFREAK...thatnks for the offer on the bulbs and the tail lamps...but the wife doesnt want any changes on the car...so...to save my ears..and !Removed! i have to decline...but i do say THANKS

again thanks guys Eddie

Anytime Impala........if you still want the tranny plug gasket & oil plug gaskets that I have (all Original equipment from the Lexus parts department) you can have them.......like I said my treat, I have no use for them anymore (I traded in my 01 ES) & I don't want to just throw them out. B)

ok tranny went on the ES grinding noise from pan...dropped pan i had all sorts of metal shaving pyramids on magnets...anyway not to long before i had changed fluid and screen.

Are you saying you personally changed the fluid and screen prior to the grinding noise developing and subsequent transmission failure?

Do a short ATF interval on the new transmission (Buy the gallon jug of supertech atf @ walmart for cheap so you don't go wasting money).

Adding an auxillary cooler would be the bestest thing you could ever do to keep that from happening again. :) We can't say that enough!

Do a short ATF interval on the new transmission (Buy the gallon jug of supertech atf @ walmart for cheap so you don't go wasting money).

Adding an auxillary cooler would be the bestest thing you could ever do to keep that from happening again. :) We can't say that enough!

hey all...answer to the last question...was doing routine maint on car...you know all the bull*BLEEP*...decided to change tranny fluid...did a drain and fill...not sure if what i did contributed but the trans took a crap maybe a month later....i got the trans out and installed the 97 one this weekend the car is a 98...im going to open up the trans and see what went on...like i asked before anyone think i should have the trans flushed? with a BG product? i dont need this happening again.....man what a !Removed! doing the trans swap

now i know why guys charge 1000 or so bucks labor to do this...never again..lol thanks for all your input....BTW i found that the rear crank seal leaked did a change...hope it works...lol dont want to do this ever again...i dont care what it costs ill have it done.........as you can see my screen name is 64 impala

ill take a small block chevy and a doug nash 5 speed anyday of the week over this......

hey all...answer to the last question...was doing routine maint on car...you know all the bull*BLEEP*...decided to change tranny fluid...did a drain and fill...not sure if what i did contributed but the trans took a crap maybe a month later....i got the trans out and installed the 97 one this weekend the car is a 98...im going to open up the trans and see what went on...like i asked before anyone think i should have the trans flushed? with a BG product? i dont need this happening again.....man what a !Removed! doing the trans swap

now i know why guys charge 1000 or so bucks labor to do this...never again..lol thanks for all your input....BTW i found that the rear crank seal leaked did a change...hope it works...lol dont want to do this ever again...i dont care what it costs ill have it done.........as you can see my screen name is 64 impala

ill take a small block chevy and a doug nash 5 speed anyday of the week over this......

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 98 trans and the 97 besides one haveing a fill plug for the differential and the other one dont?