How To Remove Headlamp Leveler In 99 Ls400 With Hid?

zorax2

I’ve searched through the forums and haven’t found instructions as to how to remove the leveler (motorized thing that tilts the HID bulb within the lamp assembly). I was able to remove my headlamp while unfortunately damaging the turn signal next to it. The turn signal is a real tough one to get out but must be removed to get access to the headlight.

Once the headlamp was out, I had no trouble removing the bulbs. However, I was stumped by two things. How you remove the leveler? It appears to be permanently fastened to the interior assembly. Secondly, how do you get the wires to the HID light out of the assembly? I had no problem with the “brains” but couldn’t figure out how to get the wiring harness out of the headlamp assembly.

I called the local Lexus dealership and none of the technicians had ever changed out a headlamp lens assembly. Apparently, they usually replace the whole assembly at roughly $1,200 instead of simply replacing the housing for around $400.

My hope is to get this figured out so that I can try to remove what appears to be condensation etchings inside the housing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

you have to remove the back cover that twists off of the high beam or low beam i cant remember which one and then youll be able twist the HID leveler out

you have to remove the back cover that twists off of the high beam or low beam i cant remember which one and then youll be able twist the HID leveler out

I removed both light covers with no problem (parts #8 and #9) in the linked schematic.

8906605.gif

HID Schematic

I could twist the leveler (part 12) out of its socket but could not get the arm of the leveler to disconnect from the lamp assembly.

you have to pull it hard, i got one of mine out easy enough but now i cant get it to snap back in. you can use a small flat screwdriver to move the clamp inside the housing enough to remove the leveler

If I understand correctly, the end of the control arm must then end with a "C" type clamp fitting that attaches to a circular fitting in the housing.

Are you absolutely certain this is how it works? I would guess you're right, but I'd hate to pull hard and break the inside pieces to bits.

The other problem, as you mentioned, is how do you get the piece to snap back in once you've polished or replaced the lens?

its round like a little ball at the end of the leveler which snaps into a fitting that is shaped like a C, i couldnt snap mines back in easily b/c it seems the fitting is not as tight so it wont hold the leveler in place anymore. hope that helps

its round like a little ball at the end of the leveler which snaps into a fitting that is shaped like a C, i couldnt snap mines back in easily b/c it seems the fitting is not as tight so it wont hold the leveler in place anymore. hope that helps

Well - I just got back from the Lexus dealer for a replacement headlight lens assembly. Lo and behold, the new assembly (about $385) includes the leveler assembly which is normally a $125 part by itself. I found that out after I asked for my old headlamp back and saw the original leveler still on it.

Perhaps it's not possible to easily remove and reinstall the leveler which is why you are having problems?

Is there anyone that has had luck disassembling the HID light assembly on the 99 - 00 LS400s?