Cleaning The Rx300

tmhtmh

I know there is a "detailing" forum, but that one has lots of other type lexus owners and I'm not sure all is the same with different models and years. Also, most over there view detailing and cleaning as a "hobby" whereas I view it as a necessary evil. When I hear them talking about a 3 hr plus "event" then i know it's not the right forum for me!

Anyone out there just wash and sometims wax (or other product)? Something that taes 1/2 hr. or so to put on.

Does a 2002 RX 300 even need waxing? I know it's much different from old cars which lost their shine quickly if not waxed.

Lastly, I see talk of "clay" over there - what is that? Does it replace wax?

Thanks.

these cars dont necessarily lose their shine, but you can of course keep it more shiny. (ohhhh shiny object *stares at car dreamily*) sorry. back to the car. I wash my car about once a week, just with the hose first, then a sponge and a bucket, filled with Miguiars car washing soap, and then occasionally, all i wax is the hood lol, thats where people see my car first. I use Lexus wax that i bought from the dealershop, but i used to use Miguiars as well. Clay is not something that replaces wax, it is simply used to get specific nicks off your car. its more like a spot cleaner

I use McGuires Gold Class paste wax about once every 3-4 months. I remember when I got the Lexus one of the manuals said it should be waxed "once a month" to preserve the finish. Yikes. Luckily my RX gets to live in a parking garage durig the day rather than sitting in the blazing sun so wax jobs last a bit longer.

The type of car doesn't make any difference, what needs to be done still needs to be done. A clearcoated Lexus won't loose its shine like an older single stage painted car will, but the finish WILL degrade if you don't protect it and keep it clean. 5 years down the line you'll be able to tell a car that has been regularly maintained and one that hasn't, and you'll feel that when the time comes to sell it.

Clay is used for removal of overspray and bonded contaminants to restore the like new smoothness to the paint, it doesn't have anything to do with wax.

You really should wax or seal the car every 6 months and at the absolute minimum wash it every 2 weeks to a month. When you wash it only use soaps that are designed for washing a car, dishwashing soap is too harsh and will dry out the seals and trim.

If you want the maximum protection with the minimum effort I'd reccomend Zaino:

http://www.zainostore.com/

You won't get as rich a look with Zaino as you will with a carnuaba after all of the paint prep steps, but it will protect the paint for 4-6 months with one application, and its easy.

Or, if you're not inclined to do these things yourself you can always hire a professional. Expect to pay $25-35 a wash and $200 or so every 6 months for the full detail.

Lexus wax is simply rebranded Zymol, which is okay just not very durable.

Thanks for the answers. Looks like I should at least wax 2x/year. Actually, with snow/salt etc. here maybe at least 3x. No big deal.

Re: Zaino, which product would I want? They have lots at that website. Also are any decent ones available at Sears/Pep Boys/Home Depot or whereever? or is on-line ordering the way to go?

Thanks.

mburn-

LOL, I know. Zymol has a few super high line waxes. They have $1,000+ waxes that aren't lifetime supply! I've used a couple of them (samples, I've never bought them) and honestly I don't see the difference over a $60 can of Pinnacle Souveran. They're more for concours type deals. They don't last long at all, but noether does Souveran.

tmht-

There is decent stuff you can buy at Pep Boys etc, but you're not going to get the ease of application or the longevity you'll get with Zaino. If truly 2-3 times a year and forget it is what you want, and you still want to have the best protection you can have, Zaino is what you should use.

I would however suggest you go ahead and pay a professional to fully detail (clay, polish, full interior) the vehicle once, then just maintain it with the Zaino. You'll get a better look that way.

What you NEED is:

ZFX Flash Cure Additive (makes it quicker to use)

Z-2 Polish (provided your RX is not black)

You should get some applicators while you're at it, and you should pick up some Z6 spray for in between coats.

If you're going to use Zaino, you should use their car wash soap too to make sure you get the maximum longevity.

Once you buy these things once, you'll never need to buy them again, at least the ZFX and the Z2.

You're right, they are two different processes. Unfortunately different companies like to use whatever wording they want, Zaino is not a polish, its a polymer sealant.

And probably you'll have to get it online.

Used NanoWax a couple of weeks ago - - first wax since picking up the RX330 in 12/2005. Easy on, easy off and gives a great shine. It also removed some small scratches from the doors.

From start to finish, including wash time was just over 2 hours.

Well it didn't remove the scratches, it simply filled them in. They'll be back. Nanowax is pretty good for over the counter, but it doesn't have the durability he's looking for.

Welcome to the LOC!

Just be careful when you buy waxes and read the descriptions carefully. Some places intermix wax and polish. Wax usually does not contain any abrasive at all whereas polish does. I wax three to four times a year and clean and treat my leather interior at least twice a year.

Meguiar's is my wax of choice.

Gary

05 330