Keys

My wife's 2006 ES300 has 41,000 miles on it. When she turned the key to start the car the other day, the black plastic that is molded around the end of the key broke and the inside and covers fell apart in her hand. No apparent reason for it diong so. I have a 1999 RX300 with 104,000 miles on it and never had this happen with its' keys. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. These keys are extravagantly high priced. I got a quote of $154.00, and then the thing has to be programmed before it will operate.

I have tried gluing the key back together but it will not hold. Yes, I used CRAZY glue. I've used crazy glue to glue almost anytning, but can't get it to hold that key together.

The key will start the car if the square thing inside it that has the lock/unlock buttons in it is held close to the ignition when trying to start the engine. I just wish I had some kind of glue that would bond the pieces so it will hold together.

Poppi

Poppi,

This is very common with this Lexus key. Mine went a few months ago. It also happened to my dad's 98 LS (same key) and I've known many other Lexus owners that have had the same issue.

Basically you have 4 options:

1. You can order an entirely new key. The cheapest way to do this is from Lexus-Parts.com who wants $177 for the key and will send it to you cut:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=22

2. You can give your wife your remote master key and order a non remote master key as a replacement for $49.00 already cut:

3. If its the front cover of the key thats broken, you can order a new cover from Lexus Parts for $11.57.

This is what I wound up doing and it worked fine, The back part is MUCH sturdier than the front, and while there is a small crack in the back part its just as sturdy as new with the new front.

4. You can order an aftermarket shell and blade and transfer the innards of the key into there and have it cut. Now, I ordered one of these and the keyblade looks slightly longer than the original key so I just used the new front cover and it worked fine. Now, its not doing me any good and if you want it you're welcome to it if you'll re-imburse me for the shipping. Its uncut, so you'll have to get a locksmith or the dealer to cut it, but you should be good to go once you transfer the innards into it. For some reason Lexus Parts no longer sells these, but thats where I bought it from.

Also remember the dealer will have to program whatever new keys you buy adding to the expense (unless you can get them to do it free when its in for service or something)

My wife's 2006 ES300 has 41,000 miles on it. Poppi

I was going to say that it should be covered under warranty if the car is in fact a 2006.

However, there was no ES300 in 2006 and 41k is alot of miles for a car less than a year old.

what year is it really?

new shells can be had on ebay and they come in many colors.

other than that SW covered your options.

steviej

The shells that the dealer have are the same shell I've got. Thats right, I forgot you could get al kinds of cool colors LOL.

If you want the one I've got, just shoot me a PM and tell me where to send it ;)

My wife's 2006 ES300 has 41,000 miles on it. Poppi

I was going to say that it should be covered under warranty if the car is in fact a 2006.

However, there was no ES300 in 2006 and 41k is alot of miles for a car less than a year old.

what year is it really?

new shells can be had on ebay and they come in many colors.

other than that SW covered your options.

steviej

Folks I have no idea why I typed 2006 as the year model. It is a 2003 model ES300. That's the reason it has 41,000 miles on it.

Folks I have no idea why I typed 2006 as the year model. It is a 2003 model ES300. That's the reason it has 41,000 miles on it.

Check with the dealer or 1-800-25-LEXUS since your car is still under original warranty they may cover it under warranty or at least meet you half way.

steviej

My wife's 2006 ES300 has 41,000 miles on it. When she turned the key to start the car the other day, the black plastic that is molded around the end of the key broke and the inside and covers fell apart in her hand. No apparent reason for it diong so. I have a 1999 RX300 with 104,000 miles on it and never had this happen with its' keys. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. These keys are extravagantly high priced. I got a quote of $154.00, and then the thing has to be programmed before it will operate.

I have tried gluing the key back together but it will not hold. Yes, I used CRAZY glue. I've used crazy glue to glue almost anytning, but can't get it to hold that key together.

The key will start the car if the square thing inside it that has the lock/unlock buttons in it is held close to the ignition when trying to start the engine. I just wish I had some kind of glue that would bond the pieces so it will hold together.

Poppi

Poppi

Poppi; Go to KeylessRide.com They make keys too!!

• 10 months later...

Poppi, I have a 2003 ES300. I know you posted the message about your wife's key breaking over a year ago. But, BOTH of my master keys with remotes broke. One is just cracked (which I let my mom keep as a spare). The other -- which I use all the time -- fell apart in two like your wife's. I called my Lexus Dealer and they want $245 for the part and $106 for labor to replace the key! I just can't pay that for a key! <_< Finally, what is it about these keys that makes them so fragile?! A friend told me I need to just keep the key in my wallet -- that is ridiculous! I am going to check out the sources that SW03ES listed. (I hope you somehow see this!)