So Is The Mechanic Confused? Or Is It Me?

So after having no luck figuring out the Check Engine Light, I finally took my 95 ES300 to a repair facility where the service writer told me that the tech thought my catalytic converter was going bad and it wasn't getting hot enough to send a proper signal to the o2 sensor located on the cat, and that's why my Check Engine light came on from a Code P0170 (Fuel Trim Malfunction).

Later, though, I talked to the tech himself who said he thought it may have been a faulty Mass AirFlow Meter, and thats why the Code.

So I think to myself.... Well if my cat were going bad, would I have passed smog just fine at the same place in January?

But also, if the MAF was faulty, wouldn't I experience a rough idle or poor performance as a result of it?

Just looking for any thoughts/ ideas.

P0170 is a fuel trim malfunction for the "rear bank aka bank 1 aka right hand bank". Since you're not pulling a fuel trim malfunction for bank 2, I bet it's the rear oxygen sensor. Test/Replace that. & if it tests OK, then check the fuel injectors / spark plugs on that bank.

I think it's just the o2 sensor. It's a '95, it's about that time... You can pass emessions with a dead one as long as it's not just *really* dumping fuel in. Which it can't really do just off a ead o2 sensor.

If the cat were bad, you'd have a hard time passing emessions, but it can be done, provided you're getting really good combustion. If the cat were bad - you'd get an o2 reading from the *post cat* o2 sensor. Not one before the cat (which is what you have). ;)

All roads lead to Rome. Test/replace the o2 sensor on the rear manifold.

So you think definately not the Mass Air Flow Sensor, as the tech says? I am doubting the tech's diagnostic, but is it possible a faulty mass air flow sensor could do it?

P0170 is a fuel trim malfunction for the "rear bank aka bank 1 aka right hand bank". Since you're not pulling a fuel trim malfunction for bank 2, I bet it's the rear oxygen sensor. Test/Replace that. & if it tests OK, then check the fuel injectors / spark plugs on that bank.

I think it's just the o2 sensor. It's a '95, it's about that time... You can pass emessions with a dead one as long as it's not just *really* dumping fuel in. Which it can't really do just off a ead o2 sensor.

If the cat were bad, you'd have a hard time passing emessions, but it can be done, provided you're getting really good combustion. If the cat were bad - you'd get an o2 reading from the *post cat* o2 sensor. Not one before the cat (which is what you have). ;)

The oxygen sensor(s) ahead of the catalytic converter need to be changed by 100-150K miles even if they aren't responsible for the P0170 check engine light, but most of the time they are. Delaying changing the oxygen sensors is a walet emptying proposition because it means you're car's fuel economy if off by 2 MPG and the excess gasoline is shortening the life of your catalytic converter and EGR valve. Another cause of a P0170 is old spark plugs or aftermarket spark plugs. The MAF sensor is generally troublefree unless you have been using an aftermarket air filter.

I would agree test / replace is a good thing. I think here the word "test" sticks out since you can save some $$$ if you do a quick test and see what you have. Or use a OBD 2 scanner ans see what it tells you on volts and time. A scanner will also tell you spark plugs issues, fuel flows etc. That is why I bought one..I love that little red box!! LOL

If they (02) are bad then replace as you stated. I guess I am just a cheap guy or like to know what I am replacing is the issue.

What is the voltage reading for MAF at idle and 2000rpm? Also Please provide us the long term fuel trim reading. If you are able to answer these questions, I would be able to help you out.

JPI

What is the voltage reading for MAF at idle and 2000rpm? Also Please provide us the long term fuel trim reading. If you are able to answer these questions, I would be able to help you out.

JPI

Where do you get a scanner like that?