Steviej: 02 Es300 Rr Window Problem

New member and looking for some advice. My right rear window does not operate from either the

passenger switch or the driver switch. Any ideas of where I should start to troubleshoot?

When the switch is activated, it "clicks" but.......no action!

Thanks much

New member and looking for some advice. My right rear window does not operate from either the

passenger switch or the driver switch. Any ideas of where I should start to troubleshoot?

Thanks much

Are the indicator lights on each switch on or off?

Make sure the square button (window lock switch) on the driver's door panel is in the up position.

If this button accidentally got pushed and is in the down position, only the driver's window works.

The click sound is internal to each switch so it may be misleading. Check your fuses, too.

steviej

I've seen many rear motors fail. No TSIB's or info other than I've done about 10 motors in the last year.

Actually, these motors failed because of lack of use. The internal parts such as the commutator became oxidized. All I needed to do was to disassemble the motor, then burnish the commutator and voila, you once again had a working motor!

Oh well, I guess the word rebuilding is a no no in this day and age. :cries:

Thanks much

Are the indicator lights on each switch on or off?

Make sure the square button (window lock switch) on the driver's door panel is in the up position.

If this button accidentally got pushed and is in the down position, only the driver's window works.

The click sound is internal to each switch so it may be misleading. Check your fuses, too.

steviej

First, thanks to everyone who commented.

Window lock switch is disengaged (UP).

OK... did a little more investigating and notice that the window switch on the rear passenger door blinks;

blink, blink, 2 second delay, blink, blink 2 second delay... etc. Sure looks like it's telling me something is wrong but not sure what the blinking light indicates. Any idea?

Thanks,

Jim

you got me on this one, Jim.

I just went through the shop manual for the 02 and there are plenty of pages of diagnostic flowcharts, but not one mentions blinking lights.

Check the fuses and the wiring harness to that door. Try moving the window or applying pressure to the window while you hit the switch.

It may be a Lexus diagnostic thing as an OBDII scan tool may have to be hooked to that door's ECU as well as the body ECU.

steviej

UPDATE: Decided to pop out the RR window switch unit, disconnect the cable

and then connect the LR assembly to the cable - just to try to determine whether

or not it was the switch causing the problem. Same problem regardless of which

assembly I used and also plugged the RR swich into the LR cable. LR window

operates normally using the RR switch unit. This eliminates the switch as the culprit.

Broke out the Voltmeter and started testing voltage to the switch and then

from the switch to the door connector housing mounted on the door. There is power

to the switch and activating the switch provides around 12V to the connector on the door.

Sooo..... I am assuming the motor or regulator (is this one assembly?)

is the cause and have started to disassemble the

door to replace the motor. I have the panel off and all the connectors disconnected.

This is where I need help....

Has anyone ever removed the motor assembly to replace? I would really appreciate

some instruction on removing the motor and replacing with a new one. It's not real

obvious to me how this unit disconnects and comes out. I'm worried about how the

window is attached to the motor and how to safely disconnect. :whistles:

Hope to hear back soon since my door is in pieces on the driveway and clouds

are rolling in :o

Thanks,

Jim

I've seen many rear motors fail. No TSIB's or info other than I've done about 10 motors in the last year.

Actually, these motors failed because of lack of use. The internal parts such as the commutator became oxidized. All I needed to do was to disassemble the motor, then burnish the commutator and voila, you once again had a working motor!

Oh well, I guess the word rebuilding is a no no in this day and age. :cries:

Do you happen to have any instructions for changing the motor and re-installing?

I think there is a certain position the motor needs to be re-attached to regulator. Also,

not sure how to get the assembly re-attached to the glass and line up bolt pattern.

So far, I have been able to:

Remove Door Panels, speaker, door level cables... etc.

Detach regulator/motor assembly from the glass.

Remove the regulator/motor assembly from the door panel.

Disconnect motor from regulator. (Be careful when actually removing the motor from the

regulator as it will uncoil once the motor shaft is popped out.)

I'm sorry I can't tell you about the disassembly or reassembly on your model Lexus since I was talking generally about window motor failures. The majority of the repairs I've done was many years ago on GM and Chrysler vehicles. Ideally, if you can get hold of the Lexus shop manual this type repair should be included. Maybe a nice Lexus repair facility will let you look at the book, since it's pretty expensive to buy. Also, check eBay to see if you can get a good deal on a used book or CD of this manual.

If you have the motor off, here's how to retime it. Plug the motor to the harness, from the door window switch,run AUTO down until the motor stops. Then hold MANUAL up 6-9 revolutions, I use paint marks on the gear teethto help count. Unplug the motor and count the teeth on the regulator, find the middle and bolt the motor there. You can only get one bolt started and will have to take the assembly to the car and plug the motor and drive it to move the regulator to access the other bolt holes DO NOT HIT AUTO UP OR DOWN during this step. Once the 3 bolts are tight put the regulator/motor unit back into the car. When it's in hold manual down until it stops, then manual up until it stops.

If you have the motor off, here's how to retime it. Plug the motor to the harness, from the door window switch,run AUTO down until the motor stops. Then hold MANUAL up 6-9 revolutions, I use paint marks on the gear teethto help count. Unplug the motor and count the teeth on the regulator, find the middle and bolt the motor there. You can only get one bolt started and will have to take the assembly to the car and plug the motor and drive it to move the regulator to access the other bolt holes DO NOT HIT AUTO UP OR DOWN during this step. Once the 3 bolts are tight put the regulator/motor unit back into the car. When it's in hold manual down until it stops, then manual up until it stops.

Thanks for the great procedure info! Just a couple of follow up Q's:

1) Once I get one bolt started and go to the harness to move

the regulator so I can put the other two bolts in, does it matter whether

I go up or or down to move it into position? Understood not to use AUTO here.

2) Are there any tricks to mounting the Reg/Mot assembly back in?

Are these steps correct?

a) Manually push window up to get Reg/Mot assemb. in place

B) Slide Reg Arm into Window guide.

c) Match up hole pattern and mount (I had a lot of trouble with this previously but

my old motor is actually frozen I think and doesn't move period. Thought

maybe this would prevent me from getting the assembly to match up)

d) reconnect.... etc.

Much appreciated!