Impression Of The Rx400h

nc211

I had my 95' LS400 in the shop Saturday for a balance/alignment. They gave me a new RX 400h as the loaner. First hybrid I've ever driven, or been in for that matter. Interesting car to say the least. Although I was not really impressed with the overall operational smoothness of the car, Lexus is definetly on the right track. When the engine kicks in, there is a very very very noticable thump and vibration noise. It sounds like a gas-powered golf cart. Not bashing the 400h drivers on here at all, it was a very nice car, and is a very nice car. But I'm sure it just takes some getting use-to before total acceptance. I was not impressed with all the things coming on, going off, switching over and such. Just seems to be too many "things" going on and off to convince me the car will be as reliable as should be for a Lexus. But nonetheless, neat car! Makes you feel wierd when you're sitting at a light, and nothing is running, then press the gas and still, nothing running, then thug/stutter/shimmy/ the engine is on. I will say this....it freakin' hauls tail!! That is for sure! Very fast!

Lexus is on the right track, and I bet in a couple of years, they'll have all the bugs worked out of it and they will definetly be far ahead of the competition in terms of operational smoothness...

Question...I wonder how much money the battery cost to replace it??? I bet an arm, leg, kidney and 1st born naming rights... hahaha

I was not impressed with all the things coming on, going off, switching over and such. Just seems to be too many "things" going on and off to convince me the car will be as reliable as should be for a Lexus.

what would those things coming on and off be?

I think the batteries are close to 6K

The engine on, off and/or working together with the batteries to run the car. Not saying it was bad, but just a little different for my tastes. There is a little read-out in the dash that indicates when power is on, engine on, and when battery is being recharged. You could feel the engine kicking on while in motion, and off, and on, and off again. Just sort of spooked me a bit. New technology fears I guess. I would want to see how they hold up over the years before I would consider buying one for myself. I popped the hood and was like "good lord, now that looks expensive". Shut the hood and went inside mumbling to myself "sears doesn't have tools for that sucker."

One thing I did notice that I liked A LOT was the transmission. I believe it's one of those continous variable band drives, and not actual gears. It always felt like it was in the same gear, just different aspect ratios applied in conjunction to the gas pedal. That was very cool to me.

On a scale of 1 -10....I'd say about a 7.5. The engine kicking on and off, matched with a very noticable shutter when doing so, would bother me tremendously. That and the fear of blowing a circuit or fuse that would cost thousands...

I drove the prius once before and i also noticed the shudder, but i dont recall it having as big as an effect on my mind than on yours. I think id buy a hybrid in the near future, that is if i can afford the LS600h. Infact, i dont even remember the transmission being continuous...

Id like to try the 8 speed transmission though on the LS, more than i want to with the CVT (spelling?) transmission

I've ridden in a Highlander Hybrid, and haven't noticed the "thump" you're talking about.

It is neat how all those systems are working with eachother, and the Hybrids do haul a$$. They're perfect for sneaking up on people, you can't even hear them! Even the tire noise, and motors are nearly dead quiet while in motion.

Just seems to be too many "things" going on and off to convince me the car will be as reliable as should be for a Lexus.

Both the Toyota Prius hybrid and Honda Civic hybrid have excellent frequency of repair records in Consumer Reports owner surveys. Therefore I believe it's safe to assume the RX400h will do very well too.

I've ridden in a Highlander Hybrid, and haven't noticed the "thump" you're talking about.

It is neat how all those systems are working with eachother, and the Hybrids do haul a$$. They're perfect for sneaking up on people, you can't even hear them! Even the tire noise, and motors are nearly dead quiet while in motion.

the prius is a lot quieter though. like, i had a friend who just got a new hybrid highlander, and when she turns it on, you can still hear the engine (not as loud as our engines). but when i tried a prius, you couldn't hear a single thing when it turns on. so i was a little disappointed on the quietness of the hybrid highlander and rx400h. i heard the LS600HL will be so quiet, like your ears would have to adjust to the super quietness of it. lol. I read it in some edmunds article. ;)

The RX400h does, if it can. At certain times the Prius can't either if the A/C is on high, if the battery is low etc.

The engine kicking in is much smoother on the RX400h than the Prius.

The RX400h does, if it can. At certain times the Prius can't either if the A/C is on high, if the battery is low etc.

The engine kicking in is much smoother on the RX400h than the Prius.

well i could imagine the LS600HL........ :o :wacko:

;)

I agree with Swo.... The RX would start in stealth mode often "Ready light". If you sat long enough with the components on, then the engine would kick on. I think the one I had with only 3.500 miles probably needed a new car adjustment in the operations. Either way, it still spoked me with all of that on/off/combo mumbo-jombo stuff...

Yeah Alan just sent me a link.

Ours is going in next week for service and for a different recall, we'll get this checked out too.

nc- No, if you aren't used to the engine kicking on and off you would notice it. It feels weird, like the car is always stalling. You get so used to it though you stop noticing. In fact, if I've been driving the Prius a lot having the engine in the Lexus run all the time feels odd.

Two things that really mess me up after driving the Lexus after the Prius are:

1. Having to use keys! I always forget to get them out.

2. Putting the car in park. The Prius puts itself into park once you shut it off.

its all about getting used to whatever you use. It took me forever to get used to the shifter knob on the prius and how it was near the steering column on that rental car. It was a pretty cool car to drive down to LA with, but my first encounter with a gas station was bad. For some reason, it didnt stop when it was full so when i pulled the pump out, the gas overflowed out of the car. well thats a story for another time. Go Hybrids!!

• 1 month later...

Wanted to update this one. I've got the 400h again while my car is in the shop. I've had it for a few days. Although it does make me feel quite "green friendly" when sitting in a traffic jam, I have a hard time driving it smoothly. Maybe it's just that I'm not use to the electronic throttle on these, since my 95 LS doesn't have that feature. But I find when I want to accelerate a little, the electronic motors kick in with the engine, and it kicks. I stand by my opinion that it has too many things coming on and off, and power being switched back and forth. But, I'm use to the 4 speed V8 of the LS. Which hardly kicks down in gears unless you demand it to. The 400h however does have some serious get up and go power, especially on the freeway when you want to pass. That thing is like a turbo when those electric motors kick in to pass. 60 to 85 takes no time at all!

It is pretty cool though when I pull into the parking garage at the office, and I'm in "stealth" mode. It's funny to see peoples reactions when they turn around, and BAM there I am, waiting for them to get out of my way. It freaks them out, because they didn't hear me.

If they could just smooth out the transistions between the engine engagements, and maybe add a little more rubber to quiet it down, it would be perfect. However, I don't like the soft leather seats. I find that it grabs my pants too much, which make my boxers ride up :o . The fabric of my pants doesn't slide on the leather. Hit the brakes = you be a diggin' out your shorts.

I wish i'd get the 400h to drive as a loaner...probably a good experience. I guess like we've said above, its all about getting used to it. Obviously, i would be used to the leather. many people think that hte stealth mode is a bad thing though

I tell ya' man, Johnson Lexus here in Raleigh has really taken good care of me. Even though I have the mechanic's phone number commited to memory, and it's been a frustrating and expensive process trying to fix a vibration problem with my car. They have done a lot of other fixes "on the house". Plus, they have some of the nicest loaners to use. They loan out the new IS, RX and ES models. And I think the GS and LS for new GS and LS owners. I really can't say enough good things about my experience with them over the past couple of years. They've kind of adopted my car and share the same determination as I have to try and fix the wobble problem. Don't care too much for their used car sales force though...A bit snobby at times. But their service department is top notch, across the board.

Thats because your LS has coated leather, and its worn in.

And on a hot day, I stick to it like a cheap pleather fraternity couch. It breathes like Keith Richards running the Boston Marathon... But I love it. I dig the "creaks" in the winter. Kind of reminds me of an old mercedes. :cheers: