Internet Help Courtesy

Grumpa72

only to see multiple replies offering hints, suggestions, and DIY kind of stuff and then the thread ends? Other forums that I am on for classic muscle cars, it is not uncommon for someone to get offers of advice, hints, repair techniques, and, sometimes even an offer of help turning a wrench. Then, once the problem is fixed, the original poster will right back and say "I tried this and that and here is what I found out."

The one thing that I see on this board is that there are lots of ideas with very little feedback once the offending issue has been corrected or the problem solved. I think it is common internet courtesy to write back and post the results that you observed.

Just my opinion.

Gary

To be fair, Rx300s are much more problematic to work on and diagnose than any older muscle-car. Frankly most of the time there isnt anyone on this board that actually "knows" what the problem is or how exactly to fix it. Thats not a knock on the people here, it just owes to the fact that these cars dont really malfunction much (transmissions aside :pirate: ) and when they do its usually something, well unusual. When there is a topic that someone has actual experience with I think you see a fair amount of help. This came up just recently when my retractable antenna broke. I got some help from another poster and then gave as detailed advice as I could to someone who had the same problem a little later on.

Reality is even though there are thousands of "members" of this site only 30-40 people post regularly and if those few don't know the answer then thats it. Sure theres plenty of speculation and "possibles" but unless you've actually done the work or had it done its just best guessing. Truth is though I'm happy to have 30-40 people helping me guess whever I have a problem.

I have to agree , it is a problem and i used to have a huge signature stating to post back all details.

Most time some new members expect miracle fixes and everyone to just spoon feed them.

Very few people feel they should work for there own answers before asking . Then once they ask they don;t care what happens to and for anyone else.

It is a great thing when other think about the people before and after who experience the same problem. Just a product of today's generation of give and take.

only to see multiple replies offering hints, suggestions, and DIY kind of stuff and then the thread ends? Other forums that I am on for classic muscle cars, it is not uncommon for someone to get offers of advice, hints, repair techniques, and, sometimes even an offer of help turning a wrench. Then, once the problem is fixed, the original poster will right back and say "I tried this and that and here is what I found out."

The one thing that I see on this board is that there are lots of ideas with very little feedback once the offending issue has been corrected or the problem solved. I think it is common internet courtesy to write back and post the results that you observed.

Just my opinion.

Gary

I think its a difference in the "type" of people on this forum vs on a classic muscle car forum. Now, thats not to say the membership here isn't great, there are many many wonderful people who belong here. BUT a lot of the people that come and go and ask questions are of the typical luxury car owner mindset, "this all exists to assist me" and it never even occurs to them that they might be able to help someone else by posting the findings they learned when repairing the issue. They fix it, and dissapear until they need something else again.

If you look at it, usually the members that this happens with have 2-3 posts or 10 spread out over 3 years, they only come around when they have an issue.

You don't see that on muscle car forums, and not as much on forums dedicated to less "elite" vehicles. Thats why a lot of our best members own second hand cars. Unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it, but we're about to make some changes that should surge membership so we should have more contributing regulars around. Stay tuned ;)

I find it funny that this thread has 4 replies now and 0 veiws.

LOL

?????? :blink: wow. how did that happen? up to now, it's still 0 views!! :o even my thread asking about special ordering a different color, has 0 views. strange