Power Steering Pump Noise

Well, I had the lovely power steering leak and had the alternator re-built. Everything was installed back into place. My engine use to be very quiet once it warmed up and the rpm's dropped. But now I have excessive noise from the power steering pump... Even at idle its a constant noise like werrrrrrrr... and when I accelerate it sounds like I have a turbo or supercharger. Its louder than the engine itself when accelerating?

What I think, from what I have gathered from the info on here, is that since I have now replaced the pump and there aren't any leaks the p.s system is completely sealed. Is that the pump is under more of a load since the solenoid screen wasn't cleaned up. I was not able to remove the solenoid to clean the screen. So what I think is since everything is sealed now and there's no leak in the system that all that pressure from the clogged screen is causing the p.s pump to work harder which is making that excessive noise. Because now the pressure is higher b/c the leak has been fixed and the pressure has no where to go.. Does this make sense b/c this is just a guess?

I am afraid to go to toyota b/c they will probably tell me in order to remove the solenoid and clean the screeen they will have to remove the rack to gain access to the solenoid. I bleed the system and there are no bubbles, its just that I think the pump is under a lot of pressure b/c now everything is sealed and that pressure can't leak out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I was pretty annoyed by my belt tensioner assembly squeaking and now I have this p.s pump making noise.

Update:

After a few beers and a little more patience I was able to get off the solenoid and clean the screen and replaced the o-ring. I also flushed the system and inspected the screen afterwards which was still perfectly clean and then bleed the system. My steering was a little stiff, but now it is really good after cleaning the screen out. I don't know if it was ever cleaned out before by the previous owner. To give you an idea I have around 160,000 miles and 50% of the screen was covered in a rubber substance. By the way I used just about every method to get the solenoid off. Vice grips, punch and hammer, flat head screw driver, wd-40, and then back to vice grips and thats what finally worked. WD-40 and vice grips finally gave me a smile after days of trying to get it off.

The thing is I still have a noise coming from the remanufactured pump its still there even after cleaning the screen, flushing and bleeding the ps system. I now think its actually the pump making the noise, until I can find anything else wrong. Could this be possible. I know I should have gotten a new oem pump and then that would have been one less thing to worry about. Everything functions the way it should just an extra noise coming from the pump. Thats the only thing I can pin point it to after everything I have done. Its still makes the noise at idle and gets louder and faster as the rpms increase. Its like a whinding sound like I described earlier. Any thoughts? I got the reman. pump from advance auto parts same thing as pep boys etc.

Well, I had the lovely power steering leak and had the alternator re-built. Everything was installed back into place. My engine use to be very quiet once it warmed up and the rpm's dropped. But now I have excessive noise from the power steering pump... Even at idle its a constant noise like werrrrrrrr... and when I accelerate it sounds like I have a turbo or supercharger. Its louder than the engine itself when accelerating?

What I think, from what I have gathered from the info on here, is that since I have now replaced the pump and there aren't any leaks the p.s system is completely sealed. Is that the pump is under more of a load since the solenoid screen wasn't cleaned up. I was not able to remove the solenoid to clean the screen. So what I think is since everything is sealed now and there's no leak in the system that all that pressure from the clogged screen is causing the p.s pump to work harder which is making that excessive noise. Because now the pressure is higher b/c the leak has been fixed and the pressure has no where to go.. Does this make sense b/c this is just a guess?

I am afraid to go to toyota b/c they will probably tell me in order to remove the solenoid and clean the screeen they will have to remove the rack to gain access to the solenoid. I bleed the system and there are no bubbles, its just that I think the pump is under a lot of pressure b/c now everything is sealed and that pressure can't leak out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I was pretty annoyed by my belt tensioner assembly squeaking and now I have this p.s pump making noise.

Does anyone think the noise is just b/c I went the cheap method and bought reman. pump from advance auto parts. Fluid Levels are fine, no leaks anymore, steering is great, just a louder noise coming from the pump, like a mid-high pitch weeee........ I get the noise as soon as I start the car and it doesn't go away and upon acceleration the noise increases. Any ideas?

Update:

After a few beers and a little more patience I was able to get off the solenoid and clean the screen and replaced the o-ring. I also flushed the system and inspected the screen afterwards which was still perfectly clean and then bleed the system. My steering was a little stiff, but now it is really good after cleaning the screen out. I don't know if it was ever cleaned out before by the previous owner. To give you an idea I have around 160,000 miles and 50% of the screen was covered in a rubber substance. By the way I used just about every method to get the solenoid off. Vice grips, punch and hammer, flat head screw driver, wd-40, and then back to vice grips and thats what finally worked. WD-40 and vice grips finally gave me a smile after days of trying to get it off.

The thing is I still have a noise coming from the remanufactured pump its still there even after cleaning the screen, flushing and bleeding the ps system. I now think its actually the pump making the noise, until I can find anything else wrong. Could this be possible. I know I should have gotten a new oem pump and then that would have been one less thing to worry about. Everything functions the way it should just an extra noise coming from the pump. Thats the only thing I can pin point it to after everything I have done. Its still makes the noise at idle and gets louder and faster as the rpms increase. Its like a whinding sound like I described earlier. Any thoughts? I got the reman. pump from advance auto parts same thing as pep boys etc.

This is a late reply to your post. I didn't read through all that you did, but if you replaced your P/S Pump you have to remove all the air from the cylinder.

Hike up the front end, and start the engine. Take off the P/S cap and turn the steering wheel to the right completely and then to the left. Keep on doing it until the sound goes away. It would have been better if you used a machine to change the fluid. This way there wouldn't be any air.

If doesn't go away, time to seek professional help. toyota dealers can help you cheapen the blow.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the alternator re-built and they did not replace the voltage regulator and now my lights go dim. Dome lights are dim unless the rpm's are up then they are like normal (normal brightness). My Hid's are not lighting up correctly. One seems not to get enough voltage and kinda flickers on igniting and then it will ignite. When I had the high beams on for a few seconds my hid started to flicker. And then in addition I have this noise thats like werrrr. when I accelerate and I was thinking maybe its not the power steering pump but maybe its the alternator making this noise. They did replace the brushes and one of the bearings. Coule this noise be coming from the alternator. As soon as I have enough money I am tearing everything out and putting a new oem lexus power steering pump in and a re-built denso alternator also. At the time of the repair I didn't have enough money to do the right thing. But here is another testimonial always get oems parts! One less thing to have doubt upon and in the long run maybe even cheaper. I thought it was my rebuilt off brand power steering pump making the constant weeerrrr noise even at idle, but now that I think more into it maybe its the alternator making that noise. I know for a fact the alternator is Not putting out its full capacity. The lights are easily dimmed, hid's not firing up correctly, when i turn on the blicker the lights dim everytime the blinker blinks. Does this compare to anyone's experience previously? But yet I still love my car and think lexus are excellent cars!

I had the rack, hoses and pump replaced a couple of years ago on my 94 SC400. I also experienced the same noise. I questioned the machanic and he said it was air in the system and would eventually go away. I first thought this was a brush off - but what are you to do after you paid the bill. Long story short - he was right. Be sure the fluid is topped off properly and drive the car. Turn the radio up more than ususal for a couple of weeks and all may return to normal.

Thanks. Its been at least three weeks and no change yet. I got all the air bubbles out and still have this noise. When I change out everything again in the future I will try to remember to update this post.

I had the rack, hoses and pump replaced a couple of years ago on my 94 SC400. I also experienced the same noise. I questioned the machanic and he said it was air in the system and would eventually go away. I first thought this was a brush off - but what are you to do after you paid the bill. Long story short - he was right. Be sure the fluid is topped off properly and drive the car. Turn the radio up more than ususal for a couple of weeks and all may return to normal.

• 16 years later...

I’m having a similar sound but I don’t know what’s making the noise ughhhhh someone please help 

could the belt be worn 

could the timing belt do this don’t know much about the car 

also have dash lights but the speedometer don’t work 

sometimes the rpm does anyone please help