Navigation Error: Incorrect Program Disk

Guest Mountaindog

Okay need to bring this topic back up cause it happen to my IS. Does anyone know where the wire is with the battery on the nav ecu? I've tried taking everything apart and there weren't barely any wires in there. Only one the the antenna, one for eject button and then one ribbon wire to the disc reader itself. If anyone can help please let me know. thankx

the batter is inside the ECU system...

Is your board a one piece board or two pieces?

Mine's a one piece. http://lexus-toyota-nav-trouble.blogspot.c...on-trouble.html (the picture was blown up from a smaller image so it's not very clear but it shows everything inside the ECU. The ribbon cable is connected to the drive and the drive is to the bottom of the picture)

I did the following.

Unplugged the ECU from the car.

Took off the cover.

Unplugged the ribbon cable for a few minutes.

Plugged the ribbon cable back in.

Cover back on.

Reconnected the unit in the car.

Turned to key to Accessory.

Error still appeared.

The DVD was in the drive for the entire process.

Did you power it back up between unplugging it and plugging it back in or did you simply unplug the cable, plug it back in and power up the system? Was the disk in the drive during the entire process?

edit:

I also tried the same thing, but this time I plugged it in with the drive disconnected.

then unplugged it and put everything back together but still nothing.

My post now also shows both boards Gen 3 (one piece) and an unknown Gen (two pieces)

http://lexus-toyota-nav-trouble.blogspot.c...on-trouble.html

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the list of IDIOTS.

Anyone solve this problem? I'm hoping a NEWER Gen 2/3 2007 v7.1 disk will solve the problem, that's only $300 rather than $2800 to buy a rebuilt one.

Anyone??

Yea, so...found a solution for those of you with this "error"....

Bought the upgrade to Gen2/3 2007 v7.1 disk. Stuck it in...in about 15 seconds the error screen went away, it upgraded my system to the latest and greatest maps and reset everything back to normal. No more error. Plus, now I have the latest maps. (Of course, I shouldn't have to pay friggen $300 to get new maps...come on Lexus, a NEW GPS costs $300 from Garmin, TomTom, etc...that price is rediculous).

But that worked for me...and I didn't have to replace my ECU! Good luck to the rest of you.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone solve this problem? I'm hoping a NEWER Gen 2/3 2007 v7.1 disk will solve the problem, that's only $300 rather than $2800 to buy a rebuilt one.

Yea, so...found a solution for those of you with this "error"....

Bought the upgrade to Gen2/3 2007 v7.1 disk. Stuck it in...in about 15 seconds the error screen went away, it upgraded my system to the latest and greatest maps and reset everything back to normal. No more error.

But that worked for me...and I didn't have to replace my ECU!

TheT - how did you get this error in the first place? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same issue as Coyote and TheT, sort of. I downloaded an update off the Internet that was supposed to be Gen 2/3 6.1. I have the one piece board in mine. It is Marked U2 on the back and was manufactured Jan 2002, and is in a 2002 Toy Land Cruiser. If I thought the 7.1 Upgrade would fix it, I would order it today. Just not convinced. I did not access the override screen and precipitate the issue. The disc I loaded said it was updating and now my NAV system goes to the incorrect disc screen.

Coyote, I saw your blog page, did you resolve your issue? I have a one piece board without the reset switch. The battery looks like it's soldered to the contact clips. I'm afraid to touch it for fear of !Removed! up the connection to the PCB. Obviously my Original disc won't boot up and fix the issue. Any suggestions other than, "don't install SW off the Internet"?

Thanx!

Les

• 3 weeks later...
well, what did you end up doing les :)?

I had the same issue however, this is what I did and it solved the problem.

Remove the Gen2/3 ECU from your trunk (or wherever it is on your particular model, my 02 LS430's in the trunk).

Carefully remove the faceplate and surrounding screws until you see the circuit board and disk drive.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE DISK DRIVE FROM THE CHASSIS.

The key is to drain the ECU battery. You'll see it as a round upright device with yellow edging.

You can use either a small xmas tree bulb (with the wires exposed) or 1 ohm resistor. (I used the xmas light),

and tape one wire to each side of the battery. The light being lit indicates that you've got a good connection.

Don't expect it to be very bright btw but the object is to drain the battery. This could take hours so it's best to

do this before you go to bed.

If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can measure the beginning voltage (3v DC) and what it needs to be be (<2V DC).

Once the voltage is below 2v DC, it can't keep the memory and the o/s will be lost.

Put everything back together and reinstall in car. It will go through a reinstall procedure but when it's done,

you'll be back to the english version.

Note: Even though this will get you back to the default english version. it *cannot* go back to an older version of o/s.

The current version of o/s is stored somewhere else so you MUST have the same version of s/w that you were previously

using in the drive.

Note to self: I spent all last weekend fretting over this. Never, NEVER, EVER mess with those settings again!

-aki

Remove the Gen2/3 ECU from your trunk (or wherever it is on your particular model, my 02 LS430's in the trunk).

Carefully remove the faceplate and surrounding screws until you see the circuit board and disk drive.

The key is to drain the ECU battery. You'll see it as a round upright device with yellow edging.

You can use either a small xmas tree bulb (with the wires exposed) or 1 ohm resistor. (I used the xmas light),

and tape one wire to each side of the battery. The light being lit indicates that you've got a good connection.

Don't expect it to be very bright btw but the object is to drain the battery. This could take hours so it's best to

If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can measure the beginning voltage (3v DC) and what it needs to be be (<2V DC).

Once the voltage is below 2v DC, it can't keep the memory and the o/s will be lost.

Put everything back together and reinstall in car. It will go through a reinstall procedure but when it's done,

Note: Even though this will get you back to the default english version. it *cannot* go back to an older version of o/s.

The current version of o/s is stored somewhere else so you MUST have the same version of s/w that you were previously

using in the drive.

Note to self: I spent all last weekend fretting over this. Never, NEVER, EVER mess with those settings again!

-aki

aki, can you tell me more about the ECU in the trunk? is it the silver unit next to the dvd drive?

• 4 weeks later...

using in the drive.

-aki

I have done this process already and still didn't work. I will try again this time I will leave the light on all week and try to install it back on the weekend. I'll forget about it for now. Thanks.

using in the drive.

-aki

aki, can you tell me more about the ECU in the trunk? is it the silver unit next to the dvd drive?

Take a look at this link. The unit we have in the LS 430 2002 is the Gen 3 last picture:

http://lexus-toyota-nav-trouble.blogspot.c...r-nav-unit.html

:) :D :lol: GPS is back.

LS 430 2002

No need to drain batteries disconnect batteries or remove ribbon cables. I found this information as a comment on another site and that was the clue I needed to know that I needed a newer disc to fix the problem. A clue for y'all I just started using a good program called Imgburn that I recommend.

-----------------

I downloaded a upgrade nav dvd but it was not the right one it loaded and then went haywire everything was Japenese and it said insert the correct disk. Well after trying everything I found on the internet from battery removal from drive to removing all wiring to the drive system take out its battery Ect. Ect. nothing worked I went to the dealer 2/9/08 today to have them fix it for 45.00 I am also out of warranty too so I thought that was a fair price since I screwed up my wifes car The couch was getting really uncomfortable boy was I in the dog house I think I watched to many Home Improvment shows. They told me to bring the original disk so they could reset the system and restart with it . But it would not work they said that you cannot go backwards for instance if you tried to upgrade with version 3.2 from your system disk of 2.1 that it will not reboot backwards so whatever version you upgraded too you has to be at least one step higher as far as versions go for it to fix itself it It so happens one of the techs there just upgraded his system and had a extra disk that was a newer version than mine they tried it and walla it booted just fine they just charged me 45.00 to my disbelief.. lexsus of tulsa a great company

So you can do 1 of three things

1. Go buy the latest version

2. Find a friend with the same generation and a newer version than you had.

3. Drive around looking at the japanese

You do not have to upgrade you nvram or anything else just follow this an it will work.

If I have helped you let me know revrnbob@cox.net

--Quoted from Bobman5731

• 3 months later...

I bought a 2004 GS430 without DVD navigation in the Gen2/3 ECU. The dealer will send me a DVD in few weeks. I tried out the DVD "Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v7.1 86271-33036 464210-0930.rar" using Matrix DVD+R DL, made by Ricoh. The system tries to take the update DVD for few seconds, and then show the error msg: "Error; System unable to access the program".

By reading thru these forums; I thought that I messed up my DVD ECU. After a day of searching (Google) for the answer; at least few guys had successful burned and used other version of the DVD from the web download. So, I looked for the same version that worked for them. This version should have a compressed size of about 3.2GB. When decompress with MagicISO the file name should be lexnav.iso (8093184 Kb). I burned the DVD with DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 the way they suggested. I leaved all options as is, just select source image as lexnav.iso, and then MODE-> ISO -> Write.

The DVD ECU rejected the burned DVD (TDK) at first. I got same error "Error; System unable to access the program" as previous download version. Here is what I did to get rid of the error msg, and make the GPS unit work:

I pop in a Lexus Navigation system tutorial CD. Switch key to ACC and then off few times. Next, I took out the CD, and insert the TDK DVD (with lexnav.iso burn image). The on screen at that time still showed the error msg. I turned key to off, and then on to ACC. I repeated this step at least few times. I also took out the DVD once or twice during this process. I kept force the ECU to take this TDK as a good commercial pressed DVD. Voila, the system took it. It showed message something like: “please close the DVD door when finish working on it”. The Navigation apps went full active mode after I close the DVD door on my GS430.

I don’t think we need to drain the ECU battery at all. It has nothing with the msg "Error; System unable to access the program". The wave length of the ECU DVD expect the lighter media; like pressed DVD instead of dark purple color like most DVD+R DL. The TDK I used to burn the iso image made by Ritek. The coating color is a little brighter than Matrix (RICOH brand). After few try; the laser picks up the data OK. The error msg went away when DVD unit can read the data. Just try diff media, and burn at 2x or 1x to make sure data write uniform and good for sensitive DVD unit.

good luck everyone! :D

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-Navigation-System-in-Ls430

I wrote the steps there....and here is a paste!

== Steps ==

# 1) switch of your car (I have 2005 Ls4300). The same steps could be followed on cars that have the same navigation system.

# 2) opens the trunk.

# 3) Take out the cover, as if you are looking for your spare tire. You will find a metallic box on the right.

# 4) Remove the two screws that stabilize the box with the body of your car.

# 5) plug out all the connected wires to the box. You won't need to memorize the places of the wires, since every wire has a unique shape and size that fit into its specific place.

# 6) now, take the box to a lightened place where you can see things clearly.

# 7) from the back, you will find 8 screws. Open them all

# 8) gently, remove the cover. You will find two electronic boards.

# 9) so gently, take the left one, and switches it over, where you can see its bottom side.

# 10) you will find a ribbon cable that connects the left section and the right section of the whole electronic board. Carefully, with your fingers, take off the brown small tool that stabilizes the ribbon cable with the board. This way, the ribbon will be pulled out... leave it for few seconds and then replace it to its old place.

# 11) Replace everything again to its old condition, and take the whole box and replace it in your car.

# 12) turn your car on. WAIT FOR THE SYSTEM to load. You will find a new screen with bright green colours asking for not powering off!

# 13) Nothing more, you have just maintained your navigation system.

#

# With Great thanks to PriusChat, and especially to the member "htmlspinnr"

#

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-Navigation-System-in-Ls430

Thank you for the procedure. I also screwed up my NAV ECU by fooling around the download menu. The dealer said I needed a new one at $1800. So I guess Denso sends them out a new ecu, gets the old one back opens the lid and presses the reset button. Then sends it to some other dealer to get $1800 more.

What a rip off.

I have a 2005 LS430 which has the double pc boards in the NAV ECU. There is a small black switch which I believe removes the 3volts from a ram chip. This causes the micro code to change the program pointer to look for any Nav disc.

Anyway Thank You All for the great info and here’s wishing everyone a Happy Christmas and New Years, with a Navigation Systems that works.

Regards,

Jaguar88

• 1 month later...
sounds like you prompted the system to think it is in japan causing the system to require a japanese disk or a startup disk from the factory.

Need to get the menu back to read a North American disk

To whom have a problem with Lexus navigation, who went into “secret menu” and hitting load” US-TAB” under Load section. Now the system screen is in Japanese and prompt “Incorrect Program Disk, Please insert proper Disk” “Error; System unable to access the program”. I have the same problem like, other that like to explore new thing etc. First of all thanks to all people who try to fix the problem, post their messages etc, without the information I think I have to spent $300 or more to fix nav.

I have RX 330 2004 Gen Nav 3 one-piece nav ecu, no rest button. I have done this before I fix the problem. Remove battery (Neg), ECU Battery, Use Gen 4 NAV software etc still not work until I did this step.

1.Bit Torrent 6.1.2 software download and install

2. Search for Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 3

3. I download the file Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v7 when done the file should be Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v7.1 86271-33036 464210-0930.rar

4. Extract the Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v7.1 86271-33036 464210-0930.rar

5. You should have lexnav.iso files size 8,093,184 KB

6.Download SetupImgburn_2.4.2.0.exe

7.Install the software

8.Run the Imgburn.

9. I select write image file to disc

10. Select the source ( Lexnav.iso)

11. Select destination drive

12. Configuration write speed ect. under Settings

I click change Book Type icon

Under Change Book Type menu

I select Samsung ( that I have on my pc DVD+R DL)

Under Samsung is gone ask Change for: I select Drive ( for DVD+R DL Media) than under New Setting: I select DVD-ROM, than click Change icon “Success” click ok!

Under Change Book type Click OK to exit.

13. Write Speed I select 2x

14 Now I click write Icon.

I Use DVD+RDL TDK Brand 8x speed.

When the burn is done. I start the car up and take out Nav disk I burn before, that not work. While I take the disk out the screen is still in Japanese etc.. Then I put the new one in (unit door still open), the screen is the same like before. I turn off and start up again the system went into update mode and error out, went back to the old problem. I turn off the car then start up again this time the system say” something DO NOT POWER DOWN SYSTEM ….and then about 5-20 second HAAAAA the system went back English screen. I test driving around the map look better I did not check other NAV function yet, but I am so happy this is working I thought I have to buy I nav system. Again after this I do not want to find what is in the secret menu. If anyone have the same problem either buy the update Ver. With same Gen or do the above step. I hope this information will help who have the same problem like I have. Sorry about grammar is very bad. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

I followed your instructions and IT WORKED ,,,THANKS JUST SAVED ME $300

sounds like you prompted the system to think it is in japan causing the system to require a japanese disk or a startup disk from the factory.

Need to get the menu back to read a North American disk

To whom have a problem with Lexus navigation, who went into “secret menu” and hitting load” US-TAB” under Load section. Now the system screen is in Japanese and prompt “Incorrect Program Disk, Please insert proper Disk” “Error; System unable to access the program”. I have the same problem like, other that like to explore new thing etc. First of all thanks to all people who try to fix the problem, post their messages etc, without the information I think I have to spent $300 or more to fix nav.

I have RX 330 2004 Gen Nav 3 one-piece nav ecu, no rest button. I have done this before I fix the problem. Remove battery (Neg), ECU Battery, Use Gen 4 NAV software etc still not work until I did this step.

1.Bit Torrent 6.1.2 software download and install

2. Search for Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 3

3. I download the file Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v7 when done the file should be Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v7.1 86271-33036 464210-0930.rar

4. Extract the Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v7.1 86271-33036 464210-0930.rar

5. You should have lexnav.iso files size 8,093,184 KB

6.Download SetupImgburn_2.4.2.0.exe

7.Install the software

8.Run the Imgburn.

9. I select write image file to disc

10. Select the source ( Lexnav.iso)

11. Select destination drive

12. Configuration write speed ect. under Settings

I click change Book Type icon

Under Change Book Type menu

I select Samsung ( that I have on my pc DVD+R DL)

Under Samsung is gone ask Change for: I select Drive ( for DVD+R DL Media) than under New Setting: I select DVD-ROM, than click Change icon “Success” click ok!

Under Change Book type Click OK to exit.

13. Write Speed I select 2x

14 Now I click write Icon.

I Use DVD+RDL TDK Brand 8x speed.

When the burn is done. I start the car up and take out Nav disk I burn before, that not work. While I take the disk out the screen is still in Japanese etc.. Then I put the new one in (unit door still open), the screen is the same like before. I turn off and start up again the system went into update mode and error out, went back to the old problem. I turn off the car then start up again this time the system say” something DO NOT POWER DOWN SYSTEM ….and then about 5-20 second HAAAAA the system went back English screen. I test driving around the map look better I did not check other NAV function yet, but I am so happy this is working I thought I have to buy I nav system. Again after this I do not want to find what is in the secret menu. If anyone have the same problem either buy the update Ver. With same Gen or do the above step. I hope this information will help who have the same problem like I have. Sorry about grammar is very bad. Good luck!