Acceleration Stall Problem With 2001 Gs300

RE: 2001 GS 300

HI all. I just bought my first Lexus and I absolutely love it. I've noticed one problem with it. When I need to gitty up in a hurry from any cruising speed the engine seems to stall, it stops accelerating and the tachomoter stays still - after stepping hard on the gas pedal. IT's almost as if there is a limit on the tachmoter that it won't let me wind it up high every once in awhile when I need to pass someone. I have to back down on the gas, let it 'catch' itself then retry. IT is really a deterrant from those times when need to speed up in a hurry and I am sure that this is not normal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I believe your problem is mixture of oxygen and fuel. If you are using 92 octane, then my recommendation is to change the sensor. The oxygen sensor is good for about 2 years.

Normally, when it reaches an inoperable state, the check engine light will go on and then $250 later from Lexus all is well. I had a similar issue with my '01 GS300. To Lexus service credit, my mileage improved and car has never run better.

Hope this works.

David

The oxygen sensor is good for about 2 years.

This statement about the longevity of an oxygen sensor is absolutely false. The length of time an oxygen sensor will last depends on many factors. There is absolutely no validity to this.

I recommend that you visit your dealer and demonstrate the problem to them. Oxygen sensor performance as well as the operating condition of every other component of the car can be accessed with Lexus computer diagnostics. It is pointless to replace parts with no indication of their condition. Furthuremore, if you had a problem with an oxygen sensor or other major engine control systems component the check engine light would likely be illuminated. In the rare case that the specific problem is going undetected by the onboard computer, a code or codes may still be set in it.

As far as replacing "the sensor" as another member suggests, in this car there are four. The total MSRP from Lexus for the four sensors is over $600.00 plus tax and labor. It seems rediculous to replace parts which very likely have nothing to do with your problem.

The problem you have has to do with throttle response, or lack thereof. If this were Jeep land, I would point you to the throttle position sensor. Usually in Lexusville, a failure or fault in this component or one related to it will illuminate the check engine, and VSC off lamp simultaneously. In rare cases, it can still be faulty with no indicators. This component is one of the many possible causes to your problem that can easily be checked with the appropriate computer diagnostics.