Navigation Touch Screen

JASGolf

2004 LS430 and the Nav sytems has begun to enter incorrect entries from what is depressed. In order to get a 2 you have to press the adjacent 1, for a B you type A. Other buttons are also offset as well. Dealer said not covered by warrenty says system was "abused", with a cracked screen. Not so. Won't cover under warrenty and want $5600.00 to fix. Really ticked off at this point . Was told to write a letter to Toyota. $60K and they won't stand behind there product.

Have you talked to the service manager? I assume that you have.

What about taking it to another dealer for a second opinion. If the car is in warranty, there shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't fix/replace this, unless there were obvious signs of abuse (which in this case there aren't).

Good luck getting it fixed!

• 2 years later...

I have a similar but different problem (see my post 'dreaded blue screen"). I was told that I can get a refirb unit for about $1k. Also see the service menu for fault codes and reset option.

:chairshot:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2004 LS 430 w Nav/ML sound, just out of warranty. My touch screen started acting up, highlighting about an inch or so to the right of where you touch.

I took it to the Dealer who found what appears to be a small line or crack starting at the lower left edge of the screen running up diagonally a couple of inches. You could not see it from the driver seat, and have to get the light angle just right. The crack is not in the top glass screen but appears to be in another layer underneath.

The car has never been in an accident, and I'm at a loss as to how the screen (especially the "under" screen) could have been damaged.

They quoted $6,500 to replace the entire navigation unit.

I've found a couple of places on-line that say they can repair or replace it, but I need to find removal instructions and send them the unit.

Does anyone know, can you remove the Nav Screen without taking out the entire radio system?

Also, will the car operate without the screen?

I'm still searching for solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
2004 LS430 and the Nav sytems has begun to enter incorrect entries from what is depressed. In order to get a 2 you have to press the adjacent 1, for a B you type A. Other buttons are also offset as well. Dealer said not covered by warrenty says system was "abused", with a cracked screen. Not so. Won't cover under warrenty and want $5600.00 to fix. Really ticked off at this point . Was told to write a letter to Toyota. $60K and they won't stand behind there product.

I'm having the same problem. Told it was "cracked". I've been trying to find a repair or replacement screen, but no luck so far.

One repair guy who looked at mine said it looked like heat cracked the inner screen, maybe from sitting in the sun. The problem is not as bad if the car is cool, definitely worse if its been sitting in the sun.

Good luck.

I have experience with NAV units in the IT field, to me it doesn't make any sense that a cracked screen would affect its functionality. That would be like blaming a computer problem on the fact that its keyboard is just missing a key. To me this sounds like minor system corruption possibly from the heat if these use ssd based storage technology "very sensitive to heat and some ultraviolet rays" or just plain system error. If I were you I would cut a deal with them, I would say look if you can prove to me that its the little invisible "crack" in the screen thats causing this to fail then I might just have to pay out of pocket, If you can prove its my fault. But if this is purely by system design and error than thats my warranty's responsibility. I wouldnt leave without immediate action and a straight response. At least not for 60k!