Help Me Spend $1000 On My 1990 Ls400

jjmancini

Hey everyone!!!

Well, giving the past 8months I have not driven my LS400 becuase I bought a Jepp, I just sold the Jeep and got $1000 more than I paid. So now, I am going to put that much back into my 1990 LS400.

So first let me start by telling you what is wrong with the vehicle and what has been replaced.

What has been fixed / replaced:

1. Power Steering Pump
  2. Serpentine Belt
  3. Water Coolent Resivoir
  4. The Climate Control Panel (But went black again)
  5. HeadLights

What looks bad or needs to be fixed:

1. Paint (Large chips on rear bumper)
  2. 2 small dents on exterior
  3. All seats torn and weathered
  4. Tires are worn / Wheels are dirty-damaged
  5. Sound System - Subwofer is blown
  6. Odd shifting problem (Not yet diagnosed, but I think it is a solenoid problem)
  7. There is dieseling noise comming from the engine

Here is some info about my car:

1990 LS400

242,000 Miles

Owned since 1991 (2 owner)

Color: White with grey

Well, I think that is it.

So here is my question:

What should I spend my $1000 to get the most and the best for my money???

Thanks!

I would definitely fix your machanical problems first. No sense in recovering the seats if the car is going to die next week. What exactly is the "dieseling" noise you are hearing? Can you describe it in more detail? Also, have you changed your transmission fluid lately or pulled and inspected the pan? When does the shifting problem occur, upshift or downshift? Warm engine or cold?

Once you fix those two issues, I would get some good tires. Of course with your climate you will get plenty of dry traction with your worn tires but that would be next on the list.

Good choice to put the $ into the LS, I have a pearl white '91 as well with 253k miles and it has a long life ahead. Good luck! :cheers:

It is tough to explain the dieseling, but I'll try. You know the sound a large diesel truck makes when it is accelerating up a hill? Well, instead of that nice Lexus buzz and humm, when ever I take it above 80% in RPM's it makes that noise... That noise like a diesel engine climbing up a hill.

There was an article on here all about my transmission problems, but I assume it was archived becuase I cannot find it. But essentially, I did the tranny flush and cleaned my magents, but it seemsed to be a solenoid problem becuase the O/D light on the dash kept on turning on and off, randomly.

Now as far as tires go, I was thinking of getting 18" wheels instead of the standard 16", and then hae low profile tires. Do you think that would look nice? I do not want it to look like a lo-rider all ghetto and stuff, but I would like it to look more sporty. What do you think?

jj:

You know the sound a large diesel truck makes when it is accelerating up a hill? Well, instead of that nice Lexus buzz and humm, when ever I take it above 80% in RPM's it makes that noise... That noise like a diesel engine climbing up a hill.

If it's "low & throaty", it's a good chance it is a ruptured EGR pipe ("PITA" & expensive to replace because of location).

Now as far as tires go, I was thinking of getting 18" wheels instead of the standard 16", and then hae low profile tires. Do you think that would look nice? I do not want it to look like a lo-rider all ghetto and stuff, but I would like it to look more sporty. What do you think?

Dingleballs don't look all ghetto, do they?

Hey everyone!!!

Well, giving the past 8months I have not driven my LS400 becuase I bought a Jepp, I just sold the Jeep and got $1000 more than I paid. So now, I am going to put that much back into my 1990 LS400.

So first let me start by telling you what is wrong with the vehicle and what has been replaced.

What has been fixed / replaced:

1. Power Steering Pump
  2. Serpentine Belt
  3. Water Coolent Resivoir
  4. The Climate Control Panel (But went black again)
  5. HeadLights

What looks bad or needs to be fixed:

1. Paint (Large chips on rear bumper)
  2. 2 small dents on exterior
  3. All seats torn and weathered
  4. Tires are worn / Wheels are dirty-damaged
  5. Sound System - Subwofer is blown
  6. Odd shifting problem (Not yet diagnosed, but I think it is a solenoid problem)
  7. There is dieseling noise comming from the engine

Here is some info about my car:

1990 LS400

242,000 Miles

Owned since 1991 (2 owner)

Color: White with grey

Well, I think that is it.

So here is my question:

What should I spend my $1000 to get the most and the best for my money???

Thanks!

I listened to your Problem on dieseling it could be that the fuel is old or to low an octane. this is a very easy fix try running a good brand of premium in the engine. If the egr valve is the problem you will be running lean due to a vacum leak it creates. You could pull your spark plugs and see if there are any clyinders runing different than the others. if they are all burning evenly keep it simple start with fuel then engine timing... If plugs are gaped incorrectly it could be enough to change timing. I just pulled plugs from a van I bought it was running fine unless it was wet or cold. the gaps were so large it effected the engine running. I changed the plugs it now statrts and runs gereat in any weather. I always try to look at the simplest solutions first then go from there 9 out of 10 times simple fixes problems. try fuel check plugs see what you find. Good luck.

hey man, i would change tires and do as much little stuff as possible, going with the most important stuff first. I have a 92 with about the same mileage as yours if i had a grand to spend right now i would redo the suspension parts ane replace the shocks/struts. In all likelyhood i could use timing belt change,distributor,plugs wires and all that, but even through a good indie thats still well over $1000. Now if your mechanically inclined you could buy all the parts for above tune-up and still have a little leftover to where you still maybe buy two tires for now, or maybe have ALL the fluids replaced,air filter all stuff.

Try handwriting a list of everything you could think of doing,search on the internet for parts and pricing,call around a few trusted shops ask them what things would cost and then wittle the list from there in order of importance.......ill stop now :whistles:

Well, I'll have to check on that dieseling noise. Thanks for the suggestions rich13!

Well, 92ls forhundo, you reminded me that I need suspension work as well. What suspension work can I get done for $1000?

Struts, ball joints, etc?

jj:

You know the sound a large diesel truck makes when it is accelerating up a hill? Well, instead of that nice Lexus buzz and humm, when ever I take it above 80% in RPM's it makes that noise... That noise like a diesel engine climbing up a hill.

If it's "low & throaty", it's a good chance it is a ruptured EGR pipe ("PITA" & expensive to replace because of location).

Dingleballs don't look all ghetto, do they?

The throaty sound would most definately be a cracked EGR pipe and gaskets. My 97 went in today for the surgery...parts $20.00 labor $500.00.

Bill

There was an article on here all about my transmission problems, but I assume it was archived becuase I cannot find it. But essentially, I did the tranny flush and cleaned my magents, but it seemsed to be a solenoid problem becuase the O/D light on the dash kept on turning on and off, randomly.

when i first got my car the speedometer was broken due to a tranny transplant. that caused the O/D Off light to flash when in O/D. nothing ever really happened but it was $230 for the part alone, "Speedometer sensor" connects to tranny. unfortunately the owners manual just states that if the light blinks then you need your tranny checked out but doesn't list specifics :(

Good Luck! :cheers:

...the lexus still works and is 100% paid off.

You can either have new payments or ongoing repairs and restoration. With the list of "issues" or at least "about to be issues" that you made, you're looking at having to spend hundreds more over the next two or three years as more and more components wear out or break down.....may not be such a bad thing to put your $1,000 down on something newer, with less miles, and with less issues.

Sure it's a Lexus and all, but it's 16 years old and has a whack of miles on it and chances are more bills are on the horizon. Take the car to a mechanic for an evaluation and an estimate and you'll have a clearer picture of the car's condition and expected repair/restoration costs. Then you'd be in a better position to judge the trade-offs.

...the lexus still works and is 100% paid off.

You can either have new payments or ongoing repairs and restoration. With the list of "issues" or at least "about to be issues" that you made, you're looking at having to spend hundreds more over the next two or three years as more and more components wear out or break down.....may not be such a bad thing to put your $1,000 down on something newer, with less miles, and with less issues.

Sure it's a Lexus and all, but it's 16 years old and has a whack of miles on it and chances are more bills are on the horizon. Take the car to a mechanic for an evaluation and an estimate and you'll have a clearer picture of the car's condition and expected repair/restoration costs. Then you'd be in a better position to judge the trade-offs.

Wrong answer. not to be rude but your best bet is to sit down and SEARCH for all the answers that you need right here on this site. i assure you that you'll find dealer prices on repairs, indie prices, and most importantly DIY prices and instructions. the O/D issue may be serious, but a little FREE info will help lots.

Good Luck! :cheers: