What's A Good Deal On A '97- '98?

It really depends on your region. I live in MN but bought my car from FL for $3k less than ES's were selling for in my area. Perhaps FL has similar prices to GA?

I got my 97 in 2003 (86k miles) for around $10,500. There was not one 97 or 98 in my area selling for less than $13,000 at the time.

Right now, the cheapest ES in MN (searched on Carsoup for 97-98 ES300) is a 98 with 130k miles for $7650. The most expensive on the list is $14k for a 97 with 84k miles. So, the prices can really range.

When looking for an ES, ask about maintenance records (oil changes, transmission fluid changes). If they aren't available, try to have the valve covers removed to check for sludge. You probably already know this, but the last thing that you want to do is buy a car like this and then have to shell out $5K for a new engine. Good luck man.

I am gald I came across this forum and this specific topic. I find myself in a dilemma of having to make a quick decision on a 97 ES300 in the St Louis area. Has 86K miles and all possible options and in impeccable shape. 2 minor issues - crack on the windshield (not the kind that spreads) and a scratch on the rear bumper. Both are cosmetic but the car drives beautifully and the asking price is 8K.

Think that is a good buy?

TIA.

wouldnt you buy the 99 year up cause the engine was upgraded this year on with VVTi with a boost in horse power too 210hp. some minor things also help as the antenna is no longer a mast its in the rear windshield and the automatic daytime running lights.not much but the engine really makes a difference.

I just got mine with 110K for 7800$

you can always get the vin number go to any lexus dealer and check the service history if he doesnt have it on him

best of luck

abrarcool, 97 and 98 ES's do not have fixed mass antennae. They are also built into the rear windshield, as in the 99 and newer.

Also, 97 and 98 ES's do have automatic lights (which can be set to turn on at dusk OR all the time). Personally, mine turn on every time I start my car because I like to have them on, even during the day.

Lastly, one might move toward a 99 because of the engine improvement. I really doubt that you'd notice a 10HP increase. I have driven both a 97 and 99 ES and I didn't notice a difference. But the 97 and 98 ES's have more susceptibility to engine sludging, if the car has not been maintained. So far, so good on my ES... and I have almost 110,000 miles now.

My Bad sorry about the antenna i thought they didnt start that till 99, but i believe they have it from 1997

about the lights i am not sure but i believe they started daytime running lights as standard and a wait time for the lights to turn of when u get off the car to have your illumination till you walk into your house on 99 and older models

but the main reason as u said about the sludging is true too as i had talked to a lexus dealer and he said mainly seen in 1997 and 98 with bad oil maintenance u have more chances to gel

i disagree with the power part i have driven the 94 the 97 and the 99

and believe me you can feel the difference big time since the car has gained 10 hp it has also lost some weight too plus VVTi gives better fuel economy

also the transmission is completely redesigned and it gives a good lift to the engine so my 99 does pick up a whole lot more faster with smoother shifts

i am not sure but also they started the type four transmission fluid on these cars from that year which has been standard on all toyotas after that

but the engine is the heart man you have to give it for the engine and since then toyota has encorporated VVTi in all its engines with better power and fuel economy so why not got for 99 and up

thanks again

post-21823-1145555006.jpg

post-21823-1145555027.jpg

I agree that the engine is the heart of the car. But if you're looking for a less expensive vehicle, the 97/98 is a great choice. Personally, I didn't notice a performance difference. Of course, with better technology comes better fuel efficiency. But to each his own. I am merely trying to show that the 97/98 ES, although more often plagued with oil sludge from a lack of maintenance, is a great car, especially for the price. I am sure most on these forums would agree.

As for the lights, forgot to mention that my lights stay on (after the car has been turned off and the key has been removed from the ignition) until I open the driver's door. Not sure about the difference between literal 'DRL' vs. automatic lights turning on when you start the car.

Thanks.

I'd have to agree about the power difference from 98 to 99. I can't tell a difference whatsoever. My aunt has a 2000, and it seems the same to me. One plus for the 98 over the 97 is standard side airbags on the 98. I just had the valve cover gaskets replaced on my 98, and at ~ 140k miles, the engine still looks new on the inside, absolutely NO signs of sludge.

Thanks for this gr8 insight, I know I am going to be a regular here :)

I did make the purchase on the 97'ES and for a final price of 7600 this seemed like a good buy. A couple things I observed were the antenna and the automatic lights are just like the 99 models so no issues there.

I have driven a 94 Lexus and this one definitely appeared more powerful than that. I have'nt driven later models to compare...

While checking the records at the local dealer (who confirmed the car was regularly serviced at dealer locations) he mentioned that they recommended a timing belt and water pump replacement when the car was in there the last time.

Is this to be done at the 90K mile servicing or just something to do prior to the car hitting the 100K mile mark (it's at 86K now)?? Car drives real smooth to warrant any service now, imho

Thanks!

bugsnest, congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got a great deal on your ES.

Timing belt should have been done at 90k. As for the water pump, if it's leaking, then replace it. Mine is just seeping (according to the dealership) and they recommended that I wait to replace it until it actually needs to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to agree about the power difference from 98 to 99. I can't tell a difference whatsoever. My aunt has a 2000, and it seems the same to me. One plus for the 98 over the 97 is standard side airbags on the 98. I just had the valve cover gaskets replaced on my 98, and at ~ 140k miles, the engine still looks new on the inside, absolutely NO signs of sludge.

Is there a site like this for the 2002-2006?